1 comment

Romance

Ivory felt her phone vibrating in her purse. She took it out and checked who was calling. It was Mom. 

Ivory hesitated before she answered the phone. 

It's been four years since she left home and became a successful singer, so why did Mom start calling now?

Ivory took a deep breath and picked up the call.

"Hello? Mom? Why are you calling?" she asked.

The other line was silent.

"Hello?" Ivory said again.

"Sweetie... Can you please come back to Florida? Your father is getting sick, and Chris is having a wedding..." said a quiet voice. 

Ivory fell silent. Yes, she missed her brother, and yes, she didn't want to lose her dad. However, for all those reasons, only one made her yearn to go back: Zero.

Zero was her childhood friend and crush. The year before Ivory left, she was sixteen and started dating him. They broke up, knowing that long-distance relationships wouldn't work. Today, Ivory still can't move on. In her heart, she knew that she still loved Zero.

Ivory snapped back to reality. "Fine. I'll be there in a couple of days. How long do I need to be there?"

"I don't know. Maybe a few months. And we would love it if you come here as soon as possible," said Mom.

Ivory sighed. "Okay. Tell Chris I love him, okay?" she said as she climbed into her car.

She could hear her mom exhale. "Thank you, honey." Then Mom hung up the phone.

Ivory crossed her legs and put a hand to her temple. They always call when they want something, she thought.

"To home, please," Ivory told her chauffeur.

He nodded and stepped on the pedal.

Ivory sat in silence, studying her chauffeur, who also doubled up as a bodyguard, through the rearview mirror.

He was around her age, and he had thick, curly black hair and a nice jawline. Ivory never saw his eyes because Darwin, the name of the chauffeur, always wore dark shades. Every time she would ask to see his eyes, he would politely refuse.

"Darwin," Ivory began, "is there a reason why you wear those sunglasses?"

He stepped on the brakes as they reached a red light. Darwin didn't say anything for a moment. "Yes, ma'am."

"What's the reason then?" asked Ivory.

Darwin stepped on the gas pedal. "I'm sorry, ma'am, but I would like to keep that personal."

Ivory sighed. "Alright then, but please call me Ivory."

Darwin hesitated. "Yes... Miss Ivory."

Ivory seemed satisfied enough because she nodded and sat back.

"Miss Ivory, who was that you were talking to? And who is Chris?" Darwin asked suddenly.

This question startled her. "I was talking to my mom. Chris is my older brother," Ivory answered. "Why do you ask?"

Darwin shook his head. "No reason. Just wondering."

He pulled into the driveway, got out of the car, and opened the door for Ivory. All of his actions were robot-like. He walked with his back straight, hands behind his back at all times.

"Thank you, but there's no need for that," Ivory said as she walked into the house.

It was a two-story family home complete with a patio, yard, and large pool. It was a modern house with four rooms and three bathrooms.

Ivory entered her room and went into her large, walk-in closet. Darwin disappeared into the kitchen, probably looking for a snack.

The master bedroom consisted of a queen-sized bed and a day bed near the window. A circular, glass table sat in the middle of the room. As well as a body mirror hanging on the wall.

Darwin's room was across from Ivory's, though she never saw him sleep.

The chef's room, Mr. Dupont, was down the hall. He was Fench in his late fifties. His daughter, Annabel, was working as a maid. Her room was next to his.

When Mr. Dupont took time off, Annabel would cook, but if both were gone, Darwin would cook and clean, which he was excellent at.

Ivory dragged out her suitcase and began folding clothes and stacking them into it. There was a little knock on the door.

"Come in," she answered. 

Darwin came in, holding a wooden tray of meats and cheese.

"Here is your snack, Miss..." he trailed off. "What are you doing?"

Ivory looked up. "Oh, thank you very much, Darwin. I'm packing. You can set that down there," she pointed to the table. "You can eat some if you'd like. I don't mind sharing."

Darwin set it down. "May I ask, why are you packing?"

Ivory had already continued. "My mom wanted me to return home for a little while," she said, not looking up. "You can come if you'd like. I don't mind paying for you. Just don't tell the other two. But, you can stay here and take time off."

Darwin frowned. "I think I'll stay. However, who'll protect you and drive you around..."

Ivory shrugged. "I guess I'll drive myself. I don't think staying in Florida for a few months could hurt. Don't be so worried," she said, zipping up her suitcase.

Darwin looked like he was about to protest, but he stayed quiet and left the room.

Ivory stared after him, puzzled. What's up with him? She sighed and went into her bathroom, packing things there too.

Ivory walked out of the bathroom and stared at the ceiling of her room. She spun around and plopped onto her bed.

"I'm going to miss this place. Don't worry. I'll be back," Ivory whispered to no one in particular.

She got up and booked the next available flight to Florida.

Since there was no holiday, not many of the flights were full. The next one available was the next day for $225, not surprising since Ivory lived in Los Angeles.

Ivory looked at the clock. It showed that it was 8:42 PM.

"Wow, time goes by fast," she muttered.

Ivory went downstairs and walked into the kitchen.

"Goodevening Mr. Dupont. How are you?" she asked.

He looked at her and smiled. "You ask the same question every day," Mr. Dupont laughed.

Ivory smiled back. "But don't feelings change by the day?"

He waved a spatula. "Some, not all, my dear."

She nodded. "That's true. What's on the menu tonight?"

"Alfredo pasta with extra sauce, chicken, and shrimp," the chef responded.

"Ah, you always know what I like," Ivory laughed.

"After working for you for three years, of course, I know!" boomed Mr. Dupont.

Ivory smiled. "Yes, you're right. "I appreciate you staying by me."

He nodded. "Okay, enough talking, let's dig in!"

Mr. Dupont, Annabell, and Ivory sat at the dining table. Ivory looked around and asked, "Where's Darwin?"

"Right here," he answered as he walked into the room.

October 04, 2022 18:15

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

1 comment

Blue McCollin
01:01 Dec 06, 2023

You are so creative! Keep writing, even when you feel you can't.

Reply

Show 0 replies
RBE | Illustration — We made a writing app for you | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.