0 comments

Romance

For the umpteenth time, I scanned the rows of shelves of the men’s section in the city mall. I still had not found the perfect gift for him. I wanted something that would always remind him of me no matter where we both were and I also wanted something that would bring memories of our relationship. It was our first anniversary and I really wanted to give him something to tell him how amazing he had been for the past twelve months I had spent with him. 

I picked up a perfume and kept it back almost at the same time. Jack already had a lot of perfumes and it did not just look like the perfect present for him. 

‘Judy B!’ a voice called from the posterior row.

The name rang a bell and anyone who knew me by that name must have attended my high school. 

‘Whoa! Benita Williams! You are the least person I expected to see here. It has been ages. How have you been?’

‘Judy B! The one and only Judy B!’ she hailed. 

Judy B was my nickname from high school. It was formed from my first name Judith and last name Baker. My victory in the high school singing contest made me so popular that students and even teachers began calling me the name Judy B.

‘You look good girl. Ah! After that Mister Iron pant incident, I don’t think I ever talked to you again'. I laughed hysterically.

With a wry smile, Benita said, ‘you never forget things oh. That man scared me to death and as soon as we were done with our final exams, I stopped coming to school. Asides that, there were lots of mendacious stories going on about me and I just decided to become taciturn and not say a word to anyone'.

I felt bad instantly for reminding her of a very awful incident.

‘Well, that’s by the way. I see you’re in the men’s section. Let me guess. You’ve found Mister Right!’

‘Yeah’, I replied shyly.

‘You too, you’re here and that means you have found your perfect match as well’

‘Yup, my engagement party is next week and I just felt I should get him an amazing gift you know’ her broad smile really showed how much she cherished him and I couldn’t help feel happy for her as well.

‘I’m so happy for you dear. I got married about a year ago and my anniversary is in two days times. I wanted to get a gift for him as well'.

‘So, what have you decided to buy? Although from afar, I could see the bamboozled look on your face. It seems you are having trouble finding the perfect gift’

Benita for sure had not changed even a bit. She is very intuitive and even with a tacit look; she can quickly tell that something is amiss. No wonder she worked in the crimes and investigating unit of the State Security Service.

‘Yes, you’re right. I’m having trouble with it. Everything here doesn’t seem right’, I said dolefully.

‘I can help you out. You can get him something that would always remind him of you. Maybe the first time you met or went on a date or just something of that sort'.

I began reminiscing over my relationship with Jack before we got married. I used to be his secretary before we got married and I worked for him for three years up until we got married. Each time he was having a business meeting, he would always ask me if he was in order or if his tie was neatly placed. Several times I would adjust his tie in order to put it in place then I would smile to him and tell him he was as fit as a fiddle. With no sentiments attached, I did this often but I began to notice how he stared at me each time I adjusted his tie. Sometimes, his tie would be in place and he would still call me to adjust it. One day I mustered courage and decided to ask him why he always did that, even when he could simply do it himself. This was because at some point, I grew uncomfortable due to his intense stare. He replied my question with a kiss on my lips which I was too shocked to restrain. I was scared that my colleagues would start gossiping and I was too shy to be the cynosure of all eyes or the gist of the company. I became quite uncomfortable around him and each time I walked into his office, a vignette of my encounter with him would just cross my mind. I realized I was no longer my usual self as I was overwhelmed by everything. I decided to take a break from work and when Jack would not grant me the permission to do so, I lied that I was indisposed and did not show up at my place of work for days.

 It was only Jessica my closest friend at the company that knew the real reason. She came to plead with me to come back to the office as she was getting tired of all the lies she had been telling my colleagues and boss. She asked me a question that made me understand my true reason for avoiding my boss. I knew I was madly in love with him but who was I, to have that kind of relationship with him. I did not want to accept the fact that I loved him because of what people would say. When I ignored her question, she smiled at me and told me that my boss and I would make a perfect match. I resolved to return to work the next day not knowing how I would face my boss. Surprisingly, he neither called nor texted throughout that period. I sensed that he was quite pissed with me. 

As I washed the dishes hours after Jessica left, I heard a knock on my door. It was past six in the evening and I was not expecting anyone at that hour. I opened the door; Lo and behold it was my boss. I was too astonished to speak and I simply opened the door for him to enter. He walked in with such charisma and I could not help stealing glances at him as I walked behind him. I was still wondering how he knew my house and why he came to see me instead of calling me on phone. He came to apologize for kissing me without my consent and to plead with me to come back to work as he knew within him that I was not sick. I was surprised at his humility and I told him that I bore no grudges against him. I also told him that I was planning to resume work the next day. I could see the adumbrate smile on his face when he heard all I said. He gave me a warm embrace and told me how much he missed me. He professed his love for me and told me he had always had an eye on me since the day I began working for him but I never seemed to notice or care as I always maintained nothing more than a cordial relationship with him. Too many things were going on in my head and I did not know which one to say first. I walked up to him adjusted his necktie and said to him in a whisper, ‘I love you too’… Every other thing that happened after that day happened so fast and soon we were in the church premises exchanging marital vows…

‘Well, well. It seems I’ve taken you down the memory lane’, Benita said.

She was always right with her guesses. I realized that I had been caressing a body lotion on one of the shelves next to me, as I drifted away to my world of memories.

I smiled. ‘Yeah, you sure did. But guess what? I think I have finally decided on the perfect present for him’

‘Yippee! That’s good then. I’ve got to get going. Duty calls'.

‘Thanks a lot for your big help and by the way, you look beautiful in your uniform’. I hugged her.

‘Thank you’, she replied.

‘We will keep in touch then. I’ll call you later. Have a nice day. Bye’, I said as she left with her own gift of a Rolex wristwatch.

I walked swiftly to the area I wanted to purchase the perfect gift from. I found just the perfect colour for him. I was so happy that I had finally found it; a Burgundy Red Windsor tie. The perfect gift for my partner!

December 11, 2019 14:32

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.