0 comments

Coming of Age Science Fiction Friendship

The stars really were bright tonight, lighting up the sky like flashlights in the dark. And Saika could never get enough of them. She just stared, wide-eyed into space, mind drifting. Someone’s silhouette, loomed over her, cause her to flinch away as they reached for her. They just shifted their weight from foot to foot, almost hesitantly. But they eventually stretched out beside to her, dangling their legs over the edge of roof.

“Saika.”

“Tieran.” She acknowledged with a slight jerk of her chin. “Where’s Archer?”

“Snoring like a bear as always.” Tieran snorted. But Saika was no longer listening. She was tracing Ursa Major from its spot in the purplish-blue night sky. A greenish glow settled over them, and Saika let out a sigh of amazement.

“The Aurora Borealis. It’s the Northern Lights.”

Tieran’s jaw dropped and he just stood there next to her, gaping. “I-It’s beautiful. There is nothing like this on-"

He stopped. Saika looked over at him.

"...in the town we used to live in."

Saika dropped her gaze, she had better things to think about.

“And I thought that I would never see it.” Saika raced down the ladder, leaped down the stairs, scribbled a hasty note to Archer, and shoved on her fur boots.

“Wait, Saika! Wait up!”

She slipped on her snow jacket and ran out into the cold crisp air. The streets were dark, all lights were out except for the occasional candle for secret bedside reading. She ran past the snow-covered shop signs and the frost covered sidewalks. Saika was vaguely

aware of Tieran constantly yelling for her to slow down. She let out a laugh of delight as she climbed up the slick metal bars. When she got to the top, she slowed down to admire the colors from this height. She continued to parkour up the bell tower to the very top. Saika lay on the shingles, gazing back up at the constellations. She could see all the planets, Eahras, Shudih, Woefir, all up there in the rainbow map of the universe. Tieran’s muscles were visibly

wobbling by the time he joined Saika to the top. They lay there for a while, observing the star patterns and planets. The stars seemed to watch them from their spot in the heavens.

~~~

"Almost there..." Saika panted. Tieran trudged along behind her. The sun was slowly setting, and the last strands of light were now peeking through the foliage. Saika had watched the Aurora with Tieran every year since the first time she had seen it; the bell tower, 6 years ago. But this time, they were watching for something

special. She lay down, fixing her eyes on the sky above. Tieran lay down next to her, hands clasped behind his head. She grinned, the only time she could be seen with a face full of pure joy. She would light up like a beacon so bright that she could outshine the suns.

Archer was probably messing around with his new alchemy kits. Suddenly, something like hundreds of shooting stars appeared in the distance. “A meteor shower.” Saika breathed.

“Wow.” Tieran gasped. A glowing streak raced towards them. Tieran sat up so fast that his blanket slipped off him.

"They're early..." Tieran murmured fearfully.

"What? Who?" Saika's eyes narrowed. "What aren't you telling me?"

He spun around to face her. "You have to trust me. I'll explain, just take my hand."

She backed away. "What are you talking about? I thought you trusted me."

"I do. But I couldn't tell you. I would be betraying my people."

Saika stared at him. "Your people?"

The shining object grew closer with every second.

"Please." his eyes pleaded with me. "Please, Saika. Just take my hand."

His form started to shine a soft blue. She shook her head.

"Please let me make it up to you."

Saika hand slowly inched towards Tieran's. He lunged for it, connecting them just as they were pulled up in the bright blue glow.

~~~

"What happened?" Saika groaned. Tieran stood over her, looking apologetic. She scooted away from him, surveying the interior of a... "A ship?"

"This is The Nightingale, a spaceship originated from the Karranaps."

Saika couldn't believe it. "The planet that disappeared thousands of years ago?

Tieran chuckled. "It was hidden from your sight after the Oslaks tried to mine the minerals to make weaponry." His expression turned serious. "I trust you, more than anyone else of your species. I see your love for the galaxies and your people. And I think it's time for you to see the real me."

"Archer! We need a leap."

"YES SIR!" Archer's voice blared over the loudspeakers.

"YOU ARE WORKING WITH ARCHER?" Saika shouted.

Tieran shrugged sheepishly. "He's my cousin. And the most talented alchemist on Woefir."

Saika needed a minute to process. "So you're telling me... that you are from Woefir?"

"Partially."

"What do you mean, partially?"

Tieran began to change. One of his eyes turned red, while the other stayed blue. The tips of his hair turned silver, while his roots remained black. And three black slashes appeared on his collarbone.

"My mother is from Xadflok, and my father is of Woefir."

"Uh..." Saika was rendered speechless.

A loud clang echoed through the ship.

"CAREFUL ON THE LANDING!" Tieran yelled.

"SORRY!" Archer hollered back. "We are here though!"

"He's kind of an idiot sometimes." Tieran sighed. "But come on, there is something that Woefir is famous for. And I want to show you." He lead her out of the spaceship and onto the red sand.

Saika's breath was quite literally stolen. He lead her into a marketplace, with trinkets and jewels, spices and delicacies, and pieces of history from thousands of different planets.

She couldn't stop herself. She milled through the decorated drapes, gaping at the beautifully fashioned jewelry and clothes, and ignoring the fact that everyone was shamelessly staring at her. Tieran pushed his way through the crowd, smiling at her. She saw a star map.

"Oh my..." Saika walked over and fingered the perfectly drawn constellations. The shop owner strolled over and asked her if she liked it.

"The craftsmanship here is so much more detailed than back home. This is a masterpiece."

Tieran pushed her away and handed the shopkeeper a bag. He accepted and Tieran rolled up the map. He handed it to her.

"This is for you. And I hope that you never stop showing people the wonders of the universe."

She smiled through her tears. "I won't. I will guide people like the stars have guided me."

The stars watched from the night sky like they always have. A grown girl stared back at them, now knowing her entire future had already been written in the stars.

November 13, 2020 05:35

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.