The Wishing Chocolate Souffle

Submitted into Contest #7 in response to: Write a story where a chocolate cake plays a significant role.... view prompt

0 comments

General


The Wishing Chocolate Souffle 


The air was cold, a sure sign that autumn had arrived. The cool wind blew through Amy’ s red silk suit making her crave a good warm coffee, a cup that takes you a thousand miles away, and makes your taste buds light up with electric sensation, meanwhile, warming your body, that was the kind Amy was craving. 


 The office work had been jarring, a stabbing of teen, and the killer was insisting on temporary insanity. Amy was just elected New York’s DA and the job was slowly depleting her hope for humanity. Her patience was dwindling and her spark for life was near on gone. 


 A brand new bakery had open on 42nd Street in the business district minutes from her office. It was called, Chocolate Wishes. 


 Chocolate Wishes, was a beautiful little bakery. The stained glass windows had doves encircling a chocolate fountain with light coming from the bottom of the fountain. The door was a stained glass door that had a massive gold handle that sparkled in the autumn light. 


 The smells coming from the little bakery were drifting with the autumn breeze catching all the air molecules forcing the baked good’s scent to move through the nooks and crannies of all the nearby allies and crannies for blocks and blocks away. 


 Though, Amy, was very focused on her career, she never engraved time in her schedule for friends or for love, making her successful but she was also the loneliest person in her office building. 


 She ignored the silence by filling her house with the noise of phone calls, texts, and e-mails. However, angels are always aware of lonely souls. 

 A child skipped the corner of the door running directly into Amy. Spilling a chocolate eclair all over her red silk suit. She was baffled, and hung her phone up quickly. 


 The child’s face crumbled in fear. “It’s okay.” Her voice was calm, but she could not ignore the tears that were welling up in his tiny eyes, that were almost the same hue as hers.


 “You know what, I have been wanting to get a piece of cake from this bakery for a while, why don’t we get a piece of cake we can share?” Amy’s voice sounded like music to the little boy, and he nodded with a big grin. 


 The door was solid, and it was heavy. Amy helped the little boy, pry the heavy door open and he skipped up to the bar and quickly climbed up a stool that was in the likeness of a peppermint candy. 


 “Welcome to Chocolate Wishes.” A women’s voice rang through the air making Amy, forget about the stain on her suite.

 “Wishes are are granted with every bite.” She said, with her shining black eyes dancing with mystery. Her perfect black hair spiralled like liquorice whips and hugged her shoulders loosely. 


 Amy smiled thinking that this woman was a bit deranged and as she looked around, she realised her friend had no mother or father in the bakery. She did not want to question him in front of the woman.


 “You need a most scrumptious cake for the wish you want to make.” The woman smiled and extended her hand to the booth that was bright red with sparkles that gave the resemblance of gum drops.


 Amy sat at the booth with the little boy. 

 “Where are your parents?” Amy asked as she sipped the most delicious hot coco her lips ever encountered. 


 “My father is always around me, and my mother is closer than you think.” His words were lacking mischief and his voice kind, but he was stating it, a simple fact, like she should have no known. 


 “Alright, then, how about a name?” Amy smiled making the little’ boy’s dimples appear making his chocolate moustache even cuter than before. 


 “My name is Mike Angel.” He said extending his hand like a tiny client who was striking a deal. 


 “Well, Mike Angel, my name is Amy London, nice to meet you.” They exchanged smiles and enjoyed the amazing hot coco.


 Minutes later, a chocolate soufflé arrived on a plate that was gold and transparent. As the owner placed the the plate down there wa a was a tiny black onyx plaque with silver writing had the words . 

          Wish Well. Wish long, this souffle will make all the wishes stay, until a random day. 

 Amy, thought long and hard about her wish. She wished she would meet the man of her dreams and have a child. She wished to be a good wife and mom. 


 Amy, wished it aloud and a bite of the delicious cake. The soufflé twisted and reeled in her stomach making her dizzy. 


 Falling, underneath the spell time shifted. A beautiful girl was laying on beautiful marble in a kitchen, the phone rang while a little boy was shaking her awake.


 “Mommy, mommy, wake up, daddy is on the phone.” A little tiny hand was shaking her awake.


 She grabbed the phone. “Yes, hi sweetheart, yes, of course I remember our anniversary dinner.” Amy’s voice was tender full of joy and excitement. 


 Years later, a woman whose hair was twisted like liquorice rang the doorbell. 


 “Can I help you?” Amy asked as Mike was cradled sideways on her hip. Mike shook his head, and winked at her. She smiled. 


 “Your days of wishing are over. Time to eat the soufflé of reality.” She handed Amy a transparent gold dish with a decant piece of chocolate cake. 


 Amy, left the chocolate soufflé on the kitchen counter. Mike, ate the chocolate. Yet, he knew where he was from and the wish stayed as it was. Having an angel for a son makes wishes magical soufflé ’s magic linger forever.


 For a wish is smaller than God’s great plan. He skipped off, to help mom bake cookies, she would never know he was an angel who chose Amy to be his mom. 


 When you wish my mortal reader wish for love above all, because angels and God make those wishes rise like a soufflé baking in Heaven’s kitchen. Remember, you are never alone, and good things are planned for those that believe. 

September 14, 2019 02:41

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.