The hope and love of the island

Submitted into Contest #190 in response to: Start your story with someone vowing to take revenge.... view prompt

1 comment

Adventure Romance

It was so terribly cold. Snow was falling, and it was almost dark. I stared at my feet waiting for the command. The command to start the engine of my plane. My heart started pounding as I heard his voice saying, " This is Commander 1, please start your engine Jane."

"Yes Commander 1." I said.

"Now remember to fly over the island." He started.

" And don't land until you know it's all safe." I murmured along with him. "I know what I'm doing Commander."

"Jane, I just want you to be safe." He told me.

"Mark, please." I begged. "We can't let our personal life get mixed with our work life. You know that." 

You see me and Mark went to the same high school and college for flying planes. I got my licenses and now work for the military, well mark works in the radio towers. We have been dating for about 3 years now, but we had to both make a promise before we got our jobs that we would not mix our romance life with our work life.

"I'm sorry. Get your plane off the runway so we can get this started." Mark said.

Little did I know that this would be the last time that me and Mark spoke to each other in a very long time.  

As I lifted off the runway I saw a black cloaked figure just standing at the end of the runway. I just barely missed him as I pulled on the plane's wheel. My heart started pounding again. He gave me the shivers that you only get when you think that there is something under your bed waiting to get you.

“Mark.” I screamed. “There is something outside the plane.”

“Mark please.” I begged, but got no answer.

Everywhere I looked was pure darkness and after a few minutes I gave into the silence. If Mark couldn’t help me with this mission, I would have to complete it on my own. I tried telling myself that over and over again. Telling myself  I couldn’t think about this right now, and after thoughts of different thoughts about Mark going through my head, I was fine. Even if I wanted to think about Mark more, the smallest light in the back seats of my plane caught my full attention. Just as fast as it appeared in the back seats of my plane it disappeared. It was the smallest little light, just like the small ones that come from the computers that tell you how the battery is doing. Although it passed pretty fast, it wasn’t fast enough to pass my gaze. It's not like I could just stop flying the plane and go back there though, so I settled for asking whatever was back there a question.

“Look, whatever you are back there I'm just having a really bad day ok.” I said loud enough for it to hear me. “First off, it's pitch black outside and I have never flown a plane in the dark before. Second, my best friend. Aka commander will not answer me. I think he's probably dead, and third. This is the most dangerous flight of my entire life. I'm gonna yell the next part because this is getting to me. I DON’T HAVE TIME FOR ANYTHING ELSE TO GO WRONG, OK.” 

After I was done announcing everything that had gone wrong to the figure everything felt a bit better, but when I was met with silence that peace in my heart went away. 

“Look, buddy. I don’t need this right now. I need you to either reveal yourself or get out of my plane.” I explained trying to keep all the emotions boiling up in me under control. I was in no mood for silence from the figure right now. 

“Look, I don't have time for this.” I continued to explain. “I'm going to be landing on an island where no human or living thing that we know of has been before. Look if you're not going to an….” Before I could finish I heard a voice I never thought I would hear again. 

“You think I'm scared of an island.”

I couldn’t believe that he would follow me into my own plane. “I guess he wanted to do this together.” I mumbled to myself. 

“Hi Jane.” Mark said.  I looked behind me to see Mark in a black cloak. His dark brown hair flipped around as he took off the silky black cloak. Time froze as I stared deep into his icy blue eyes. The smirk on his face told me he knew I would be surprised. I studied his face wondering why there were scares along his cheek bones and blood on his eyebrows. As he took the cloak off completely I saw the dark blue t-shirt he had put on this morning torn into shreds. Almost as if something with thick claws attacked him. When some of the pieces of his shirt fell off I saw the deepest cut on him. It crossed to one side of his upper chest to the bottom side.

“Mark.” I paused wondering if he would want me asking about it. I saw in his face that he knew I had seen it.

“I kind of already landed my plane on the island.” He told me. 

For a moment I was worried about what would be on the island when I remembered. 

“You were supposed to be in the radio towers.” I said. “I didn’t even know you could fly planes.” 

“Ya well, surprise.” Mark said. “I wanted to make sure it was safe before you landed there. You know how I feel about you getting hurt when I could have helped you.” 

“I know Mark. I know.” I murmured. 

“Oh my god. Look at the islands there, and before you say that I have already been there. You have to admit it’s beautiful.” Mark said. 

“Ya it really is, but what about the monster that attacked you.” I asked. 

“Oh that wasn’t a monster. I did that.” Mark told me. 

“Who in their right mind would do that?” I asked. Although knowing Mark, he would do that. Right as I was going to say that Mark was weird, we flew over the island, or close to it you could say. Looking at it for the first time it was definitely pretty in so many different ways. Despite it being winter there were bioluminescent lights covering the thousands of palm trees and bushes. I could also see little birds flying around in big groups of like 25. Everything I saw had the same tint and lively color to it. As I flew right over a clear purple filled stream crossing the entire island I saw little fishies swimming and flying out and in of the stream. After admiring the island for some time a dark thought came into my mind. Humans could never discover this. After everything humans have done there would be no way people wouldn’t come to tear this place down. Everything is just so unique from the rest of the world. Rich people would fly out in their private jets trying to capture all the animals to sell for millions. They would cut down all the trees and probably make some sort of crazy campfire with the wood. 

“Mark, do you think we should tell people about this island?” I asked. I mean maybe he would agree with me. 

“That's why I snuck in here. Because I have been to the island before and when I came back from it I saw you leaving to go there and I needed to tell you something.” He said. 

“And that is.” I asked. 

“Exactly what you said. How we can’t let people discover this beautiful island.” He told me. “I was going to ask you if you would like to get away from human life and you know.” 

“You know what,” I interrupted. I just couldn’t stop myself from asking. 

“Live on the island. We can help all the animals and the fish. It will be amazing.” He said it all so lightly. 

“And leave everything we have here.” I asked. 

“Please Jane.” He begged. “I already have everything we need, and there's food we can eat on the island.” 

“Ok fine, but let's just try it for a month and keep the nice and keep its gas.” I decided. 

I was coming in for a landing after I had found an open field filled with beautiful purple, blue and green flowers. It was surprising not that bumping or a landing compared to other fields I had landed in before. 

After we got off the plane and stepped outside I looked into Mark’s icy blue eyes and said, “Let's do this.”   

The End 

March 17, 2023 22:04

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

1 comment

Linda Lovendahl
18:51 Apr 03, 2023

I like how you equated love and safeguarding the beauty of the island. Not all of us are willing to make that sacrifice!

Reply

Show 0 replies

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.