0 comments

Fiction Drama

'Common Emma, we are almost there,' said John.

'But, the wind is severe. I can't lead you all anymore. Take my place,' said Emma.

'Lead us till the Sun is out from the horizon. You can endure that, can't you?'

'It is not about endurance. It is about the pack I am leading. With my slow performance, we won't be able to make it there in time.' 

'But...'

'No, but. Take my place and lead us until the sunrise,' ordered Emma with a disgruntled voice.

John was reluctant to switch the place with his wife, Emma. It looked like John was not interested in helping out his wife. The struggle was real as Emma had to face the oncoming winds and had to continue the journey until sunrise. After that, they all would rest and prepare for the voyage ahead.  

However, after several minutes, John convinced Emma to continue with the journey. Emma mustered all the strength she can and continued the journey. Emma was going at more speed than anybody who knew her could anticipate. She was cruising with enough speed against the heavy winds. All of the family members of Emma & John were following. Three generations of the family members were traveling together to find a place that would be bereft of cold winds and barrenness that comes with it. They all had traveled too far from their home and were about five days away from their destination.

That destination was one of the best-known locations for them to survive the winter. Food would be in ample amount with no worrying for cold winds freezing them to solid. Almighty had built that place with utmost care so that it can accommodate migrating souls like Emma & John and many more like them. 

Emma thought that she would faint if she continued to lead the pack from the front. The wind was becoming severe and severe. She was about to lose it all in her mind. The concern for the family and inspiring words from John helped her to continue. She almost lost the altitude after some time but recovered quickly from it. The average speed took a toll due to Emma. However, John wanted her to continue to lead the pack from the front. 

They were moving slow. The island that they choose to take rest and eat was far away than they anticipated. If they had to avoid the calamities that the daylight would bring, they now had to hurry up. John calculated something in his mind. After intense calculation, he was okay with the current speed, as long as there is no significant drop in it.

John saw Emma struggling again. The wind was harsh. Emma had to work very hard to maintain the speed at which they were cruising. The light returned, engulfing the darkness. The Sun was ready to rise from the horizon. None can stop the Sun from doing so. However, the wind was the threat that might halt their journey. 

John can easily lead the pack against the wind. But, he was more interested in allowing Emma to guide them and help the flock to reach the destination safe and sound. He was preparing her for the future, the future that everyone from his family was unknown. To negate the consequence of that future event, John was training Emma. 

We are not immortal and, everyone leaves this world. The beauty of this tragic end is that the exact moment when we depart this world is not known to us. We live and thrive in that uncertainty. However, some are not fortunate enough to enjoy that uncertainty. John was one of them. He detected some anomaly near his neck and concluded from what his ancestors taught him. For John, that uncertainty was near. Maybe one migrating season or two at max. 

For this, John was training Emma to lead the flock. In the upcoming migrating season, his absence should not bother his family. Emma was unknown to all of this. She was not so much happy about this sudden surge in her responsibility.

'We have to hurry up, Emma. The Sun is about to be in front of our eyes. It will make this more unbearable. We are just half-n-hour away from that island,' said John 

'Easy to say, my love, when you are not in the front. Take my position, and we will see how much you can speed up.'

'The point is not to waste the energy and continue to fly without looking back.'

'Don't utter a word, or I will never lead again. Just shut your mouth,' said Emma in one breath. The anger was due to the fatigue that she endured for so long. Now, enough was enough for Emma. She decided to quit, but nature helped her to continue. The wind altered its course to help Emma. The opposing force turned into a supportive one. 

Life always rewards the soul that endures. 

They reached the pre-destined island in time. All of their family settled to enrich their fat. Eating is one of the easy tasks, and none of those family members needed training in that. Everyone was busy eating what they can. However, John was thinking about something else. 

'I will never lead the flock,' said Emma

'My Love, you have to from now on,' said John by placing his wings on the exhausted wings of Emma. She was still shivering from the fatigue. John noticed that and wrapped his wings around Emma. 

Emma stopped shivering.

'Till you reach the breeding ground. You will have to lead the flock. Others can not lead due to their age. You have to ensure the safe passage to the breeding ground. I taught you how to navigate with stars and all the crucial steps needed to reach in time,' said John

Emma was surprised to hear this. 

'You lazy slug. You want me to lead so that you can take shelter behind me and enjoy the gruesome opposite winds. I am not going to do that,' saying that Emma pushed away John. 

'No, listen to me. I am not coming with you.'

'But, Why?'

'Understand me, my love. I am not well, and this might be my last migrating season. I have a fatal disease. I don't want to die mid migration.'

'No, you are lying.'

'Believe me. I asked my father, and he broke the news to me based on what our ancestors taught him. Now, you are responsible for our family.'

'What about you? I am not leaving you behind. We will finish this migrating season together, and then we will retire here.'

'No, you have to lead them. If I continue to fly, I might succumb to this disease early, and I don't want to die in front of the family. So, I..,' 

John couldn't complete that sentence. A Vulture swooped in and took John in its claw. Emma chased the vulture, but it was in vain. Vulture ran away with Emma's husband. 

Nature has its way of ending discussion.

Now, Emma would lead the flock. 

October 15, 2020 14:29

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.