Don’t go into the forest

Submitted into Contest #16 in response to: Write a story in which characters are warned not to go into the woods.... view prompt

0 comments

Mystery

There's only a few more hours. Hours, like weights on her. 

They hold her down, keep her anchored.

 

They are like shackles. 

She is bound by them. She needs them even as she strains against them. 

 

They are what she has.

What she doesn't know is if they are enough.

 

The day began with out so much ominous thought. The day began without so much blood and drama.

 

Lilly stood in the parking lot at the basin of the mountain and shuffled her feet. She was the only solo traveler. The only single person out of 7 hikers. It made her feel as though she stood out like a lighthouse in a dark sea. Or like cat in a sea of dogs. Or like exactly what she was. 

 

A modern age spinster. 

 

She smiled awkwardly at the other 6 waiting there. Couples, two younger and one about her age. The two younger couples, a tribe unto themselves.

They'll frolic through this hike and then retire to a pub to drink craft beer. Of this much she's certain.

 

She cocks her head and studies on them. Craft beer and grass fed beef, she thinks. Maybe they'll invite this other couple. They all seem familiar enough for that. They all seem of a kind in spite of the age difference, like coworkers or members of the same community potluck on Saturday's sort.

Maybe they're all swingers and will leave this nature hike to go explore the nooks and crannies of a different sort of nature hike.

 

She laughs quietly at the last thought and then coughs as cold air seeps into her lungs. Maybe they'll do many things but, one thing is certain, they will not invite her.

Middle- Aged Woman alone at a nature hike. Not a likely candidate for their crowd, but still, they nodded at her. Still they smiled, struck the right cord of affability.

 

For her part, Lilly's face felt broken as she forced her mouth to make the shape of a smile. It felt like she was doing it wrong. Like she was looking too anxious, or needy, or simply shallow. She offered up her broken smile and then looked away.

Shoved her hands deep into the pockets of her jacket, looked at her feet, wondered again and again why she was doing this. This fall colors forest walk with strangers.

Such a gloriously stupid idea. 

 

'You need to get out of your own head.' That was what Rachel had said. As if Rachel were actually something more than a coworker. As if Rachel were a qualified trained psychologist. As if she'd known anything about the inside of another person's head. As if Rachel mattered anymore than any of these other people.

 

The sound of a car pulling into the gravel lot shook Lillty from her reverie. She turned and looked at the arrival of a dirty red Volkswagen van . She watched as the van door creaked open and the trip leader stepped out.  

Her breath caught. She felt her heart stop.

She dropped her head and turned her face away.

 

The other six adventurers looked past her, towards the man that was fast approaching. She could see their smiles. She could read the hope of a fun day. The hope of fun that wasn't too hard but was hard enough to justify the nachos and beer afterwards. Their faces all aglow with expectation.

And then one of them, the woman that was part of the older couple, caught Lilly's eye.

Stared at her face and then tilted her head.

Furrowed her brow.

 

Lilly took a one second glance at the six and then back at that woman. Lilly calculated her odds and then said:

'Don't Go.' 

She didn't dare say it loudly. It was more of a mouthed whisper aimed at that one woman.

 

The woman's brow furrowed even deeper. 

 

'Don't. Go.' 

 

And then the leader was at their circle. She could feel him behind her. She could smell him.

 

'Sorry I'm a little late folks- trouble getting the old hippie van going this morning.' A rattle of polite chatter came out of the other hikers, a twittering that fogged Lilly's brain for a moment.

 

She held her breath. She closed her eyes. She knew the woman was still looking at her.

 

'Well thank you for understanding' Lilly heard his hands rubbing together after he said that. She heard him clear his throat. 'And for the sake of time let's just do some quick intros and then get on with the hike.' He clapped his hands and Lilly almost jumped. 'So I'll start this- I'm Frank but my friends call me Fetch and we're all friends, aren't we?' He laughed a little. All the other hikers laughed. Lilly cringed.

 

His hand landed on her shoulder. 'Let's start with you and go around.'

 

She tensed and stared across at the woman and then closed her eyes. There was nothing for it but to go in headlong.

There was nothing for it but to face it. 

She rolled her shoulders and turned to face him.

 

Their eyes met. Fetch cocked his head, his eyes widened, his lips pursed. She stared at him for a moment then looked out at the six other people. 

 

'Lillith.' She said and then turned again to look at Fetch 'Everyone calls me Lilly.'

 

'Lilly' He repeated and then smiled. 'A pleasure.'

 

Around the circle the two younger couples were Hayden and Cal, Charlotte and Thomas and the older couple were Mary and Mark.

 

The meet and greet; that moment in the parking lot would be the last time hope had a chance. Lilly knew that. Lilly knew that even as she reached out and touched Mary's sleeve. Even as she leaned in and whispered; 'Don't go. Don't go into the forest. Just go home.'

 

Mary pulled her hand away and shook her head. She pulled in closer to Mark, twined her arm into his, buried her head into his shoulder. Lilly shook her head and turned to find Fetch smiling at her.

 

'Shall we Lilly?'

 

She pursed her lips and nodded. Mary and Mark stepped off the gravel and onto the trail first, then Charlotte and Thomas and then Hayden and Cal. Lilly watched as each foot fall took the six deeper into the trees. She took a deep breath and turned her head to look at Fetch.

 

'It's been a long time Lilly.' He said quietly to her.

She nodded and took a step forward towards the trail.

'You could always stay behind.' He said to her back. 'It's been a while since you've ventured this way, hasn't it?' His question full of mocking.

 

With one foot still on the gravel and the other on the trail she turned and looked at him. 

'You're right Fetch. I could go back. And it has been a while. But.' She faced the trail and pulled her foot off the gravel. 'I've been needing to 'get out of my own head' as the saying goes.'

 

In front of them the blaze orange of Hayden and Cal's jackets slipped around the first bend of the trail.

'Smart of them to worry about hunters.' Fetch said, pointing towards where Hayden and Cal had just been. 'Too bad predators don't care what color your wearing.'

 

Lilly nodded and looked into the forest. She walked forward and heard Fetch follow close behind.

'Why'd you tell that woman to go back?' His voice was right in her ear. She shuddered but kept walking at the same pace.

 

'It seems decent to try and save the one easily.'

 

Fetch let out a bark of a laugh and pushed passed Lilly. 'C'mon girl. This day is proving to be more interesting than I thought.'

 

 

Now Lilly was here. Six hours away from that moment. She was here with Mary and Mark and waning daylight. 

There was blood caked on the side of Mark's head. It covered his ear and spilled onto his jacket. It traveled off of him and onto Mary who had her arms wrapped around him as if he were a child. 

Lilly stared at the two of them but mostly at Mary. Mary who wasn't crying. Mary who hadn't screamed once. Hadn't shrieked like Charlotte or run headlong into the forest, screaming like Thomas and Cal.

Lilly nodded to herself. She'd chosen well when she'd chosen Mary. 

 

At least up until this moment. After this, after Mark finally stopped breathing, then she'd know the full quality of her choice.

 

Mary rocked Mark in her arms and kissed the top of his head. She seemed oblivious to the amount of blood, to what was more than blood. She rocked and looked out through the trees. A growl, a scream, the sound of snapping and gnashing- all of the noise- and Mary rocked and looked and waited.

 

Lilly winced as a final snap crackled through the woods.

Mary turned and looked at her.

'Why is this happening?' she whispered. Her voice flat. Her emotions held by a power Lilly could only barely understand.

 

Lilly rolled her head and listened. Fetch was on the move again.

She counted three down. She leaned toward a tree and closed her eyes. Fetch was moving away from them. Moving away from them but towards the last of the two couples. 

Either Thomas or Cal. The women had been too soft, too comfortable to make much sport for him and then Cal in his blaze orange jacket. Cal would have been easy after the women.

It must be Thomas, Lilly thought. He must be after Thomas.

 

Mary had seen what Fetch did. She and Mark had been leading the way, listening to Fetch narrate a brief history of the trail and the mountain and its forest from the rear. 

 

And then he stopped speaking. 

 

And then the forest became deathly silent. And then Fetch had simply taken the person closest to him as a beginning.

 

The sound that escaped from Hayden had started as a scream but ultimately faded into a gurgle as her neck was ripped open. And then her chest. And then her abdomen. All of it torn in the time it took the other five to turn and look back.

Look back and see Fetch. His face a maw of teeth. His teeth full of Hayden's flesh. 

 

Mary had seen that. Mary had seen Cal stumble away, Charlotte and Thomas run. Mary had seen the face of Fetch. She'd seen the death of Hayden. She'd felt Mark pull on her sleeve while she looked. And then she'd seen Lilly, standing behind Fetch.

Lilly, watching and waiting. 

Lilly, licking her lips.

Lilly with yellow eyes.

 

 

'WHY?' The whisper a staccato from Mary's mouth. Lilly looked at her and then looked at Mark.

 

'He's dead.' She said to Mary. 'We can move now. Take off your jacket. There's too much blood. Stay close to me.'

 

Mary blinked at her and then looked at her husband, his eyes glazed. Lilly watched as the moment flowed over Mary's face, the wave of grief, the tsunami of fear. Lilly watched as Mary nodded and slid away from Mark's body, letting him slide down onto the forest floor. She pulled the jacket off and put it over his head.

 

She crawled quietly towards Lilly. On all fours she leaned in towards Lilly's face. 

'We move when you tell me why.'

 

Lilly felt Mary's spit hit her face. She felt the venom in the words. She felt the hate and she allowed herself one small, surreptitious smile.

 

She had indeed chosen well.

 

She looked at Mary and nodded.

'Because Fetch is the monster in the forest. That's why.'

 

Mary rolled back off of her hands and rested on her haunches. 'If he's a monster than what are you?'

 

Lilly almost laughed out loud but settled for a smile. 'I am the lesser monster that told you to not go into the forest.'

 

Mary blinked and then dropped her head. 'I just thought you were crazy.'

 

'No. Not crazy.' Lilly cocked her head. She heard the snap of a twig. 'Not crazy at all.' She stood and began moving away from Mary. Mary straightened up and followed. 'Won't he hear us?' She asked Lilly's back.

 

'Yes. He will hear us. He will come after us.' Lilly stopped and listened to the sound of Fetch coming after them. 'But we have enough time.'

 

'Enough time for what? And what is he?' 

 

Lilly kept moving forward. 'Fetch is an old monster that used to be good for keeping the sacred safe. He was a thing conjured and kept.' Lilly shrugged, made a small supplicating gesture, 'when people and places didn't have options and magic still had power.'

 

'Magic. That's not magic. That's' Mary went quiet searching for a word. 'That's evil.'

 

Lilly stopped and turned to look at Mary. 'Maybe. But.' She stepped closer to Mary. 'Imagine it's your evil, your whatever, to wield when you require it.' She looked into Mary's eyes. 'Imagine it's your pet keeping the wolves at bay.'

 

'But he's not keeping anything at bay. He's just slaughtering innocent people.' 

 

Lilly let out one hard bark of a laugh. She turned and began moving through the forest again. 'None of you are innocent. You wouldn't be here.' Her hand shot out and gestured around the forest canopy, 'HE wouldn't be here if any of you were at all innocent. I don't know what you're guilty of, but I do know that you're definitely guilty.'

 

'We're not guilty of anything. My husband wasn't guilty of anything. Hayden and Cal, Charlotte and Thomas- me- We are not guilty.' Mary was getting close to shouting 'This is insane. This is bullshit. This is not happening.' She stopped and stared up through the age-old branches of the age-old forest. 

 

'And if we ARE guilty, what the hell are you?' She finally spat out.

 

Lilly looked back at Mary staring up through the trees. 'It's an old place, this forest.' She said.

Mary dropped her head and looked at Lilly. 

'I should have noticed that when I first arrived. I should have known.' She went on. 'It's just been so long since I've been called. So long since he's needed me.' She offered Mary a small, apologetic shrug. 

'It's an old enough place that one might call it sacred.'

 

'I am not guilty or innocent. I am here to keep one alive. I picked you.' She turned and moved on. 'I tried to get out of it the easy way- you know- you never go in- that part where I told you- I told you specifically to not go- but.' She heard Fetch, distant but not distant enough as he barked into the sky. 'But that's not the way it works with Fetch or with the lessons he metes out.'

 

'What lessons? What the hell is this?' Hysteria began to creep into the edges of Mary's voice. 'What did we do to deserve this?'

 

'Good question. What did you do? Why are you in this old, sacred place with those people?'

Lilly stepped over a downed trunk and pushed a branch out of her way. 'What ties you to this ancient forest? Answer that and I can probably tell you why Fetch ate your friends. Why he intends to eat you.'

 

For the first time in the whole ordeal Lilly heard Mary sob. A suck in of breath and then a woosh as the tethers holding them in, let go of her emotions. Lilly stopped but didn't turn around. She looked at the ground and put her hand against the trunk of a tree old enough to remember the end of giants.

 

'We were here to look.' Mary spat out between sobs. Lilly nodded. 'Here to look one more, no, one last time.' Lilly nodded again.

 

'One last time before what?' She asked, her hand now pushing hard against the tree, her fingers digging in.

 

'One last time before.' Mary stopped. She looked up again. 'One last time before we took it all down.'

 

Lilly pushed her lips together and scraped her nails down the tree. 'Right. As I said. You were guilty. And now I need to get you out of here.' Lilly pulled her hand away from the tree, twisted, leaned toward Mary and with one arm swung her up and over her shoulder.

 

And then she ran. She ran like she hadn't run in an age. She ran feeling Mary's legs bang against her, feeling Mary's breathe cross her face, feeling Mary's life hanging precariously in the balance. She ran before the forest could let Fetch take Mary. She ran like a thing not human, like a thing not animal, like a thing time had forgotten and put in drawer.

 

She ran and saw the light at the edge of the gravel parking lot.

 

 

Days later Mary Westerhouse still lay in a hospital bed. She suffered from deep lacerations, exposure and trauma. 

She told the police what had happened. Quietly, carefully, she spoke about the people that had been lost. Her employees. So young, so full of potential. Her Husband. That man who had been the love of her life.

She told the police about the wolves. She said there was a pack. A pack that hunted them. She told the police her husband had fought the wolves to save her. She told them they had been foolish to go into the woods. Foolish to think there were no consequences in the forest.

Foolish.

Stupid.

Arrogant.

 

'Find their bodies, but then,' She looked at them carefully through wet eyes. 'Then leave it alone.'

 

It took her days and weeks and month to finally get what she asked for. It was her forest, she said. Her land to do with as she pleased. Did they want her to fence it in, she asked. Did they want a wall around a forest so they could feel safe, she sneered at them. Were they worried the wolves would come down the mountain and eat their children, she cackled. 

They can stay there, she said. They can stay there and live their lives in that forest. 

 

At the edge of her hospital room and then her office and then her home stood a plain looking middle aged woman. A modern day spinster. A woman few gave a second look or even noticed.

 

 If they did notice it was only because Mary Westerhouse, keeper of the largest forest holdings in North America, once upon a time Timber-Baroness turned radical environmentalist, looked to her for reassurance.

When asked a question about her forest she looked to that plain woman, the woman she called Lillith and waited for her to nod before answering. 

 

On that awful day in that forest, Lilly left Mary at the edge of the gravel parking lot. Mary was battered from the rush through the forest, her body a labyrinth of slices and blood. She sat on the gravel and looked up at Lilly and then, for the first and last time of the whole day, she screamed.

 

Behind Lilly, hands in his pockets, stood Fetch. He looked nothing like he had. He looked nothing like a monster. He looked like a man who knew his way around the woods and nothing more.

He put his hand on Lilly's shoulder and nodded at Mary while her scream withered down to a whimper.

 

'The lesson wasn't just for her Lilly.' He said. 'Remember your purpose. Remember the forest.' 

'

November 23, 2019 00:20

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

RBE | We made a writing app for you (photo) | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.