5 comments

General

tick tock" tick tock ". The clock sounded. I stood staring at it for a while. Mum was busy getting our luggage into the car.

" Time to go Ray" she said as she placed the last luggage into the boot.

We had to move to a new house, my mum couldn't bear the loss of her husband. Being in that house gave her nightmares and bad memories. She said.

"don't worry Ray, everything's gonna be OK" she said with a warm smile.

I got into the front seat and immediately buckled up my seat belt. That evening, we drove out of bloomville and went further into town. My mum called it oakhill. 

We drove for hours until I saw a signboard with oakhill written on it. I looked out the window as the cold air blew up on my face. I stuck my head out until we got to a small rusty gate. I kept looking at the environment, it had this weird serene and awkward vibe. It seemed like a quiet place with few neighbors around. There was absolute quietness as we packed up our luggage into the new house. We settled in at about 10pm. I was exhausted and farmished at the same time. Mum went into the kitchen to prepare something when suddenly there was a knock on the door.

"could you get that Ray" 

"OK mum" I replied.

I walked sluggishly to the door and I didn't even ask who it was. I opened the door and saw an old lady standing holding  a large ceramic plate. The type that had flowery designs and looked like a small pot.

"Hello young man" said the old woman who had a very squeaky voice.

"hy" I replied hysterically. I was thrown off balance when I saw her. She had a scruffy look, her hair was tied into knots looking odd and dirty.

"who's that ray" mum screamed from the kitchen.

"ummmm I.." I stuttered.

I didn't know what to say, so mum had to leave the kitchen and met me at the door standing confusingly.

"Hello ma'm". She said wiping her hands with a small white cloth she was holding.

"Hello dear" replied the old woman.

"I just thought you might need some food" the old woman added.

"ohh thank you, so kind of you" said mum as she stretched her hands reaching out to the ceramic plate. We said goodbye to her and retired in. Mum Placed the ceramic bowl on the table immediately and put together two plates and spoons and I couldn't help but wonder if we were going to eat that.

"mum, seriously!" I said

"come on Ray, she's a nice old lady" replied mum.

"You don't even know her, and now she's nice cos she brought you dinner?" I said sarcastically.

She looked up at me and said softly

"what do you want me to say"

"you know what? I think I'd just go to bed". I picked up my phone from the table and walked out of the kitchen leaving my mum behind. Since my dad died, she made drastic decisions and never put me first or wondered if it affected me. I went to bed angry and hungry. I couldn't tell if it was the hunger that woke me up in the middle of the night or the strange sound I heard inside the walls of the house. I woke up and found my door ajar. I guess my mum had been to my room maybe to talk to me or just stare like she always did.

We had spent just 2 nights in the house and at exactly 3 am, I'd always hear a creepy sound behind the walls in my room. I couldn't take it any more so one night, the noise had become annoying I got up angrily at exactly 3 am. I pressed my ears against the wall and I could hear noises as if someone or something was scratching behind the walls. I paused for a while, then I placed my hands on the wall moving it slowly in a rectangular manner. I noticed that part of the wall looked patched up and had a soft feel. I gave it a subtle push and it cracked open revealing a Long passage with a fusty view. I was scared at first but later had the courage as I climed unto the open wall and crawled into the passage carefully. The dust and cobwebs made me sneeze but that didn't stop me. I crawled until I got to a small door. I kicked it open forcefully and to my surprise what I saw next left me in awe. I looked behind me and I could still see the passage that led back to my room. I've never seen something like this before, the environment felt cold as a result of the snow that fell continuously. I didn't have enough time to explore so I went through the passage and back to my room. Immediately I got back into my room the wall repaired itself.

That night I told myself that what I experienced was nothing but supernatural.

I woke up at exactly 7am. I found my mum preparing some omelettes for breakfast.

"Morning Ray" she said

"Hey mum"

"how was your sleep" asked my mum as she placed a cup of coffee on the table.

"great, I guess".

She smiled and touched my chin. She had changed, I could feel the disorienting vibe ooze out of her. She didn't care for me that much. It's like the death of her husband made her forget me and my needs. I didn't worry much because I found a place where I could be anything I want.

That night I went to bed early and woke up at 3 am. The passage was already open. I went through again and discovered that it wasn't just supernatural but I could live the life that I didn't have. In that world of fantasy I could be James bond or the incredible hulk. I was able to detach myself from the harsher realities of life. It changed me. I found something that I didn't tell my mum about and it was beyond reality. Think of it like a character in a game. 

March 21, 2020 12:23

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

5 comments

Anitha Sankaran
15:08 Mar 30, 2020

Good story. It would be nice if we could travel to the fantasy world.

Reply

Stephanie Njoku
21:32 Mar 30, 2020

Lol. Thank you Anitha.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Hayden Quinn
14:16 Mar 29, 2020

This is a great story, good job! Just a heads up, make sure to put in all the right punctuation so it's nice and clear, like commas at the end of dialogue before the tag, and capital letters at the start of sentences, that kind of thing.

Reply

Stephanie Njoku
19:51 Mar 29, 2020

Thank you so much. Noted. 😊 @Hayden Quinn

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Uzochukwu Njoku
07:44 Mar 22, 2020

It's a nice story... Well done

Reply

Show 0 replies

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.