The Beginning of Something New

Submitted into Contest #37 in response to: Write a story that takes place in the woods.... view prompt

0 comments

Mystery

“Mom!” Olivia shouted. “Can I go over to Jaden’s house?” Mom said yes and yet another day I was over at my best friend’s Jaden.

“Jaden!” Olivia yelled eager to see her friend.

“What!” Yelled Jaden.

“Lets go!” Olivia yelled back.

“One second, let me get dressed”Jaden moaned. In a split second Jaden was out the door yelling, “Race Ya!” They were off to their magical destiny. When they stopped, they got in their backpacks and got their water bottles.

“Who are you going to go with?”Jaden asked.

“What do you mean?”Olivia looked confused.

“The dance, who are you going to go with?”Jaden asked again.

“Oh, I don’t know,” Olivia mumbled.

“Would you want to go with me?” Jaden said nervously. Olivia froze not knowing what to say.

“Jaden, we’re just friends.” Olivia said knowing she was going to make Jaden regret asking her.                                                                                                     

“Oh, well.”Jaden said sadly. He got out of the tree house and headed back to the house without Olivia. The next day Olivia went over to Jaden’s house and she yelled for him. No response. She went to the door and knocked.Jaden opened the door, looked at her, then shut the door, or so he thought. Olivia had blocked it with her foot. She heard Jaden go upstairs to his room, so when he was out of sight she opened the door and went up stairs. Without him noticing, she sat on his bed.

“I’ll go with you,” Olivia said weirdly.Jaden turned around with a frightened look on his face.

“What? Jaden asked

“I said I’ll go with you” Olivia said again. She saw a smile come up on Jaden’s face. Maybe this was going to be the start of something new.









                                      Chapter 2


When Olivia got to the dance, she saw Jaden in his tux talking to his friends. When he looked over to see her, his smile went from ear to ear.

“Hey!”Jaden said excitedly.

“Hey,” Olivia mumbled. 

“Do you want some punch?” Jaden asked 

“Sure” Olivia said excitedly. WhenJaden left to go get punch one of his friends came up to Olivia. Olivia didn’t like Justin because he was always trying to steal everything from Jaden.

“Hey” Justin said to Olivia.

“Justin, what do you want?” Olivia said madly.

“I just wanted to ask you if you wanted to dance with me”Justin said trying to be romantic.

“Justin what are you doing?” Jaden said annoyed

“He was trying to dance with me” Olivia said madly.

“Justin go” Jaden said getting madder.

“It’s her decision, not yours” Justin said trying to be annoying. Just then Jaden got so mad that he took a swing at Justin hitting him right in the face.

“What was that for!” Justin said in pain.

“For trying to steal my girl”Jaden said satisfied.  Suddenly, a slow song came on and they both looked each other in the eyes.

“Ready to dance?” Jaden said romantically weird.

“Sure” Olivia said giggling. When they got on the dance floor Olivia looked straight into Keaton’s eyes trying not to smile. Then when Jaden looked into her eyes, they kissed.















                                       Chapter 3


“What was that?” Jaden said blushing.

“Um...Uh” Olivia said nervously. She ran out of the dance, not knowing what to do next. 

“Olivia!”Jaden said running after her. 

“Let me go!” Olivia shouted back trying to hold back her tears. When Jaden finally caught up to her they were both out of breath.

“Why did you run?”Jaden said trying to understand why she wanted to get out of the dance.

“I...I thought that you didn’t want me to kiss you.” Olivia said choking on her tears.

“Olivia…I am the one who asked you to the dance, so why wouldn’t I want you to kiss me?”

“I don’t know” Olivia said suddenly her tears stopped rolling down her face.

“Let's go back to the dance. OK?” Jaden said smiling at Olivia. When they got back to the dance Jaden said to Olivia 

“Will...will you go out with me?” 

“What?” Said Olivia.

“I knew I shouldn’t of asked you”Jaden said sadly beating himself up inside.

“No, I will” Olivia said happily.

“You will!” Jaden shouted so that the whole school could hear. When they were walking home Olivia said to Jaden.

“Do you want to go to the place?” 

“Sure” Jaden said looking into Olivia’s eyes. When they got to the place Jaden looked deep into Olivia’s eyes and said

“Do... do you want to be my girlfriend?”

“Yes” Olivia said with a huge smile on her face.













                                    Chapter 4


As soon as they got home Jaden said to Olivia

“Do you want to come over on Saturday?”

“Sure” said Olivia. On Saturday Olivia went to Jaden’s house and yelled 

“Jaden!” Jaden answered the door and Olivia went on in. They went up to his room and Olivia sat down on his bed.

“What are we going to do today?” Olivia asked.

“I don’t know” said Jaden. 

“Want to walk down to town?” Olivia said.

“Sure” said Jaden. When they got to town they went to the school to help clean up what was left with the dance.

“Hey, Olivia” said Justin

“What are you doing here?” said Olivia

“Isn’t it obvious, I’m cleaning.” said Justin smiling 

“Go away Justin” said Jaden.

“Why should I Jaden, your the only dangerous one here” Justin said sarcastically. 

“Let’s go Olivia” said Keaton.

“I agree” said Olivia. When they got out of school, they went to their special place. When they got there they sat on a branch and talked.

“Have you ever thought about dating Justin?” Jaden said.

“Ya, but he always wants to be so bossy. Olivia said while looking at Jaden.

“I still can’t believe you punched him” Olivia said while he hands signaling that her mind was blown.

“Well, it’s getting dark so can we head home?” Olivia said.

“Ya” said Jaden.












                                                 Chapter 5


When they got home that afternoon, Olivia asked her mom if she could spend the night with Jaden. Like always, her mom didn’t care, so Olivia packed her bag. She packed her toothbrush, toothpaste, hairbrush, and some other things. As soon as she was finished packing her bag, she went over to Jaden’s house.  

“Jaden!” Olivia yelled. When Jaden opened the door, he looked worried, like he wasn’t expecting Olivia.

“Can I come in?” Olivia asked trying to take herself in.

“No,” Jaden said while he shut the door. But again she stopped it with her foot. When she ran to his bedroom hearing him yell,

“Julie, get out!”

“Jaden, what is this!” Olivia yelled trying to hold back her tears.

“I didn’t know you were coming” Jaden said.

“I told you Jaden!” Olivia said crying.

“You know what, I’ll just let you and Julie hang out because we’re over!” Olivia yelled running out the door.

“Olivia, wait!” Jaden said running after her, but he was too late, because she was already out the door. Olivia sat on her bed, crying her eyes out while Jaden was thinking to himself, “I’m an idiot,” “Maybe, I should just go say sorry in the morning.”



















                                  Chapter 6


“Justin!” Olivia yelled while standing out of Justin’s house.

“Olivia, is that you?” Justin replied looking out his window

“Let me in, and get dressed!” Olivia shouted back. In a split second, Olivia was walking up to Justin’s room.

“Aren’t you supposed to be with Jaden or something?” Justin asked.

“No, we broke up,he was cheating on me with Julie.” Olivia said looking into Justin’s eyes.

“Do you think that you would go out with me?” Justin asked looking deep into Olivia’s eyes.

“Did...did you just ask me out?” Olivia replied.

“I mean if you don’t want,”

No, I will!” Olivia said excitedly.

“Do you want to go get dinner?” Justin said

“Sure” Olivia said. When they got to the restaurant Olivia was in a light purple dress with purple high heels, and Justin was in a white tux with a light purple tie. When they sat down Justin said,

“Don’t look behind you.” But when he said that it was too late, because standing behind her was Jaden and Julie in the kissing booth. Julie was in a dark pink dress with light pink shoes. Jaden was in a black tux with a dark pink tie. When they got out Jaden looked at Olivia and froze. Olivia was struggling to hold back tears. But it didn't matter when Julie looked over and smiled a mean smile at Olivia and Justin.

“No!” Olivia said running out of the restaurant, with Justin right behind her.














                                      Chapter 7


“Olivia, wait!” Justin shouted grabbing ahold of her hand. When she turned around she looked him deep into his eyes, deeper that anyone's ever looked into his eyes, and kissed him. Without any regret they ran to his house and into his bedroom. They were both out of breath while trying not to smile.

“What…what was that for?” Justin asked barely getting enough breath to say it.

“I knew I shouldn’t of done it!” Olivia said frustrated. 

“No, I…I liked it” Justin said with a weird voice. As they laid back on his bed, Olivia thought to herself, Maybe Justin isn’t as bad as I thought.

“Olivia, wake up!” Justin yelled to Olivia.

“What’s happening!” Olivia yelled back

“You didn’t go home last night, your at my house!” Justin said like it was a bad thing.

“Isn’t there a dance today?” Olivia asked

“Ya, do...do you want to go with me?” Justin asked

“I’d be happy to” Olivia said with a tired smile. When Olivia got home she looked at the dress she was going to wear. It was light blue with pink and purple diamonds on it. It was gorgeous. When Olivia got to the dance, she saw Justin talking to Jaden.

“Hey, Justin” Olivia said when she got beside Justin.

“Hey, Olivia” Justin said kissing Olivia on the cheek.

“Hey, Olivia” Jaden said looking at Olivia. Olivia didn’t say anything. She was still really mad at Keaton.

“Where’s Julie?” Olivia asked in a hateful way.

“She’s talking to her friends” Jaden said pointing to a group of girls giggling. Suddenly, just as soon as Jaden stopped pointing a slow song came on.














                                      Chapter 8


When Justin and Olivia started to slow dance, they also started to talk. 

“When are we going to tell all of our friends?” Justin said.

“Tell them what?” Olivia asked.

“That we’re a thing” Justin said back.

“Oh, I don’t know,” said Olivia. When Justin and Olivia were walking back to their houses Justin asked Olivia if she wanted to spend the night. Of course Olivia said yes and yet she was in her room packing her suitcase again. She noticed that her suitcase was already packed. Then she thought to herself, oh my gosh, I never unpacked my bags from the time I was going to spend the night at Keaton’s. When she called Justin to tell him that she couldn’t spend the night he asked why. She told him that she had homework and that her mom wouldn’t let her, and that she would see him at school tomorrow. After Olivia called Justin, she called Jaden. When he answered that she couldn’t say anything until she heard Julie in the background.

“Why did you cheat on me!” Olivia yelled while she was trying to be quiet.

“Because...because I thought that you wouldn't like me!” Jaden said sadly.

“Why wouldn’t I like you Jaden, I am the one that kissed you at the dance” Olivia said.

“But when you said that you thought about dating Justin…” He fell silent, not knowing how Olivia would react to this.

“When you thought about dating Justin while you were dating me!” He said madly. Right after he said that he hung up the phone. Olivia started to cry. She got her pajamas on and went to bed, not knowing what school would be like in the morning.
















                                                    Chapter 9 


In the morning, Olivia didn’t feel like dressing up like she normally did. In fact she didn’t even feel like going to school. She asked her mom to stay home, but she said that she couldn’t because she’s already missed many days of work. Olivia had to go back up to her room and get dressed. She got dressed in sweatpants, a baggy shirt, converse, and a jacket. When she got on the school bus, she saw Jaden sitting down all alone. She went over to ask if she could sit with him, but he said no for some reason. After he said no, she went back to sit with Justin.

“Hey,” Olivia said sadly.

“I have been thinking… and we have to break up” Olivia kept going.

“Why?” Justin said.

“Because,...”

“Because we just have to!” Olivia said almost yelling. After she did that, she went to sit with Jaden.

“Jaden we…” Olivia was interrupted by Jaden saying to her “Just go Olivia.” Olivia yelled, “Stop the bus!”, got off, and ran back home. I will never get back on the school bus Olivia thought. 

“Mom!” Olivia yelled about to puke. Her mom came down stairs and felt her forehead.

“I said you didn’t have a fever so you can’t stay home!” Olivia’s mom said.

“But… but I just got embarrassed in front of the whole school!” Olivia yelled running up to her room.

“Olivia get back down here!” Her mom yelled.

“No, I am never going back to school!” Olivia yelled. When Olivia got in her room, she saw the pictures of her and Jaden at the dance. Suddenly, she started to cry. Why won’t he let me get close to him and talk to him? Olivia thought. Suddenly, she heard her mom talking to somebody on the phone downstairs. “Cindy, do you and Jaden want to come over and have dinner tonight at my house?” Olivia’s mom said, talking to Jaden’s mom. Later that night Olivia heard someone knocking on the door.

“I’ll get it!” Olivia yelled to her mom.

“Hello” Olivia said to Cindy as she was walking in the door.

“Why don’t you two go play in your room” Cindy said hugging Olivia’s mom.

“So…” Olivia said to Jaden while walking to Olivia’s room.

“Why do you want to talk to me?” Jaden said looking confused.

“Because… because I want to be friends again!” Olivia yelled at Jaden. When they were talking in Olivia’s room Jaden noticed the pictures from the dance.

“You still have those up?” Jaden asked Olivia.


                                     Chapter 10



“Ya, I wanted to remember you before Julie” Olivia said giggling. In about two seconds they were both giggling while rolling on the floor. 

“Have you broken up with Justin yet?” Jaden asked suddenly stopping the giggling.

“Ya, on the bus right before you,..” Olivia fell silent.

“Right before you yelled at me to get off the bus” 

“I’m going to go get some ice-cream, are you coming with?” Jaden asked

“Ya, I’ll be right down” Olivia said putting on her coat. I don’t know what I should do because he is trying to be my friend after he was such a jerk to me on the bus. Olivia thought. When Olivia got down stairs she saw Justin standing in the living room.

“What..what are you doing here? And why are you in a tux?” Olivia asked Justin.

“Don’t you remember, tonight is the last dance of the school year.” Justin said excitedly.

“Justin… remember I broke up with you on the bus” Olivia said looking away from Justin.

“I know, but will you at least go with me to this one, and then we can be done.” Justin said.

“Justin… no!” Olivia said running into her room, with Jaden right behind her.

“I know we’re not dating anymore but...do you want to go to the dance with me?” Jaden asked.

“No, I just want a night that I’m not with a boy.” Olivia said putting her pillow over her face. When Olivia got to the dance she decided to go over to see what all the commotion was about. When she saw what was in the middle of the group she started to cry. It was a picture of her and her brother. Her brother was dead… How did they get this? She thought in her head.

“There’s the little girl” said Jack Arther, the schools bully.

“How…how did you get that picture?” Olivia said with a tear rolling down her face.


















                                   Chapter 10


The next morning when she got dressed she didn’t feel like dressing fancy like she normally did. So, she got dressed in her sweatpants with a baggy t-shirt and a loose jacket. When she got on the bus, she could see Jaden sitting all alone looking out the window. So, she decided to go sit next to him. When he looked over to see who it  was, he was shocked.

“Do you want to talk about what happened last night?” Jaden asked looking at Olivia

“Ya, I want to know why you thought that I would break up with you to date Justin.” Olivia said madly.

“I’m only dating Justin because I want you back” Olivia stated.

“I’m only dating Julie because I want you back” Jaden said

“How about this, I’ll break up with Julie if you break up with Justin” Jaden said

“Deal, but I’ve already broken up with Justin” Olivia said happily. When they got to school Olivia watched Jaden break up with Julie. Then they got on the bus that afternoon as friends, while saying,                                                                                              


      “THE BEGINNING OF SOMETHING NEW!”    


April 16, 2020 19:17

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

RBE | Illustrated Short Stories | 2024-06

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in Reedsy Studio. 100% free.