0 comments

Contemporary Fiction

Mikey wasn’t supposed to be here until 3pm. I was sure of it. His mother told me several times because I tend to forget important things. Not this time. This time I put a reminder in my phone. I put several reminders in my phone. Today was Mikey’s birthday. I started setting up right after Mikey left for school. Blue and white hanging decorations went up taped to the walls and ceiling. A happy birthday banner in bold lettering was taped to the entry way. I was almost ready. The last item to check off the list was a birthday cake homemade. It was going to be one of those Minecraft cakes. I stayed up for several nights researching. It also helps that I run my own bakery, but this is the ultimate challenge. Never have I before created a cake so complicated. There was a difference between donuts and a whole Minecraft cake. All the utensils that I needed were spread out on the counter. Knives, icing, coloring, and stencils.

As I pulled out the baked cakes from the oven that smelled heavenly, I heard the door open and close and a gasp. I recognize that gasp anywhere. It was Mikey. It was 12pm not 3pm. I nearly dropped the cake. The door opened and closed again, and another person let out a frustrated sigh then called out to me.

“Hon, did you check your phone?”

“No.”

I dropped the pan on the counter and went to look for my phone knowing for sure it was on vibrate. I found it between the sofa cushions and unlocked it. One new text message from Babe. Half day today. I can only stall for so long. Make sure to take the decorations down. We’ll drop off Mikey at Aunt Sarah’s house and put them back up then gather everyone.

“Whoops.”

“It’s alright.”

I heard her feet shuffle. 

“Hey Mikey, sorry about ruining the surprise. How about this? I’ll take you to auntie’s house and you can hang out with your cousins while we get everything straightened up.”

I heard the shuffling of feet and a sigh. “Okay ma.”

The door opened and closed again. I felt a pang of guilt. I left my phone on vibrate ever since my lecture. I had a habit of leaving it on vibrate. I needed to work on that. I slid the phone in my jean pocket and shook my head. I had ruined the boy’s surprise. Well, half the boy’s surprise. We still didn’t get everyone together and he still had his “gift” from his mom and I that he’s been asking about for such a long time. I nodded at the thought. It was time for him to get one. He was thirteen now and showed responsibility. I smiled proud at how far Mikey had come. I clapped my hands together.

“Back to work!”

Molding the cake is the hard part. I looked back at the cake pans waiting for me. So is icing the cake. This was going to take a while.

Making a custom cake such as a Minecraft one was as complicated as it sounds. I had to take the knife at it and chop away the most delicate parts of it. What a waste of cake. I had to mold it and shape it to my desired want. The chocolate was another tricky part. Molding it using shaping tools to look like zombies and creepers as Mikey calls them then spraying the green, black, and blue on them. Of course, all edible. The cake looked like it stepped straight out of the video game itself. It was brilliant. I stretched out my arms and pulled my phone out to take a picture. 

“Perfect!” I said clicking the camera button.

The doorbell rang. I looked at my cellphone realizing the time and quickly slid my phone away. The guests were here, and I was a mess. I stumbled forward nearly swiping the cake to the ground. I caught myself and pushed the cake back. The doorbell rang again. I ran and opened the door. It was my mother-in-law standing with boxes and gift bags. She was all smiles. She gave me a quick glance and giggled.

“I see you were in the kitchen baking something. Is it delicious?”

She chuckled and handed the bags and boxes to me. I stepped out of her way. Father-in-law trailed behind giving me an approving nod. He was a man of few words. Hours went by and more guests arrived. I had to explain the unfortunate situation of me ruining the surprise birthday party to them. This would be like a family get together instead. I looked around for Mikey’s number one person. The person he really wanted to see on his birthday. His father. A stepfather could only do so much and play the part so far but there was nothing like Mikey’s real father. Mikey’s real father was his hero even though he worked most of the time and barely saw Mikey, he always waited for his father. It reminded me so much of my childhood. I looked around again the chattering folk and the kids playing in the living room, but the Mikey’s father was indeed missing. I heard the door open and close again over the chatter of family.

“Hi everyone!”

Cheers rang out as Mikey and my wife walked through the door. Mikey’s smile was wide, and my wife wore a tired smile, but her eyes lit up at family. Mikey started hugging everyone and talking away my wife came beside me and slid an arm around my waist watching as Mikey interacting excitedly with his cousins. As I briefly looked away, I thought I saw Mikey quickly glance around the room, but his attention seemed to return to his cousins. As the night drew on, Mikey’s smile started to diminish. His mood began to change. His cousins played around him and asked him if he wanted to play or speak but he just shrugged his shoulders. I was speaking to the adults, but I kept my eyes on him. He went into the kitchen and after a couple of minutes, I went after him. There he was, sitting on one of the stools at the island looking defeated.

“I’m sorry, bud. I know you were counting on him coming.”

“It’s okay. It’s not your fault. He never comes anyway. I don’t know why I’m upset,” he said shrugging.

I moved closer to him and put a hand on his shoulder.

 “It’s alright to be upset. You know that right?”

He nodded in response and looked up at me.

“Thanks.”

I patted him on the shoulder and the “gift” flashed across my mind. It was the perfect time to tell him.

“Hey bud, we thought for your birthday we would get you something special. You’ve showed us great grades and responsibility, so I think it’s time.”

He paused, frowning in thought then grinned. 

“Really? A dog? I’m getting a dog?”

“Yep! We’ll go first thing tomorrow morning.”

He shook with excitement and hugged me then ran into the living room yelling about his dog. I smiled for a moment then my smile dropped when I saw my wife standing in the hallway with a tired expression.

“This is all my fault. I always get him excited about looking forward to seeing dad. I feel that one day he would at least give a crap about his son.”

I reach out my arms to her and she comes burying herself in my chest.

“One day he’ll regret everything. That boy in there is bright.”

She sighed and buried her face deeper.

“You’re right.”

September 30, 2022 13:28

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.