Don't Snow On My Parade

Submitted into Contest #77 in response to: Write a story set in the summer, when suddenly it starts to snow.... view prompt

1 comment

Coming of Age Sad Speculative

I wake up to the brightness of a new day coming through my window. It’s like Heaven as it spills onto my cheeks, a kiss from the angels to wake me up. The covers are warm from outside, and a slight breeze comes through the open window. Clothes are comfortably strewn about, and my room feels like home. It took me months to get here, but here I am-summer, here I come!

I fling off the covers, ready for a new day. What will I do today? The possibilities are endless! I could play video games all day and make a new set of iron armor for Steve. I could clean up my room and go on a killing rampage towards the family of silverfish that live in my closet. I could sneak a pint of Ben and Jerry’s from the fridge and pig out until I drop. I could go to the top of the hill by my house and see the sea, heck, I could even swim in it. I could do whatever I want to do, and the only ‘homework’ I have is to feed my cat, and that takes five seconds. I consider going to the mall, but playing Minecraft wins. It’s a beautiful day, and I want to stay inside. I have enough black turtlenecks and ripped jeans to last me through the apocalypse, and mom would kill me if I got another stuffed animal from that cute Japanese store next to the candy shop. Plus, it’s been a while since Steve and I have had time to bond in the unprecedented wilderness of our game. I have the perfect vision for a house, and I’m ready to build it.

I change out of the jeans I slept in and shrug on an oversized shirt, pulling out my Nintendo Switch. Right as I get around to some dungeon pillaging, I hear my mother’s clear voice calling out to me. “Judy, breakfast is ready!” I can smell that sacred smell of bacon, and I know I’m in for a treat. I rush downstairs, and my mother laughs as she looks me up and down, probably at my lion hair and claw nails. “Is today another Minecraft day?”

“It is.” I get a plate from the cupboard and scoop a pile of flapjacks onto it. I equip my knife and spread delicious peanut butter over the pancakes, smothering them in a golden, nut filled brown. There’s nothing better than peanut butter, except maybe bacon.

“Well, I’d like you to go outside sometime today. You’ve been working on that mansion of yours for five days.” My mother winks at me. “How’s the Judy crib looking so far?”

“Sick. I just need to finish furnishing my martial headquarters, and then I’ll be ready to build my house. I’m thinking of making something more dollhouse-ish, maybe from the Victorian era. Any suggestions for me?” I wink back.

“Blue. I love the color blue.” She smiles, her glazed eyes staring into space. I can imagine it, my beautiful plethora of blocks seamlessly built together to build myself a mansion worthy of being praised by FyreUK. It will be perfect, just like this day has been, just like this summer has been, me and my Nintendo Switch and our blank space floating in the world.

“Blue it is.” I scarf down another pancake. They taste so good I could cry.

“Judy, that reminds me of something I need to tell you.”

“Okay, spill it.” Maybe she thinks my mansion should be yellow too? Blue and yellow do look good together. If they were people, I bet they’d be a couple. What a pretty couple they’d be too..

“Blanchett is moving away.”

I stop mid swallow. The grease of the hydrogenated oils coats my tongue like pesticide on a plant. My pancake is like a chunk of dirt from a construction site. My hair itches like I slept with termites. The slobber on my chin is like a gross chunk of old playdough. My unshaven legs bristle like an ugly Saguaro cactus.

“Blanchett is… Oh.”

“Yeah. Such a bummer, isn’t it? She was such a nice girl. You and her hadn’t hung out in a while, but she still seemed like she was doing pretty good. I saw her mother post a picture of her birthday party on Instagram as well! She looked like she was having such a nice time too. I wonder why she didn’t tell me about it, I could have cancelled your soccer game and-Judy, are you okay?”

“Bye, mom.” I swallow the betrayal down like syrup. “I have a mansion of things to build.”

I go upstairs and cry. My Switch remains untouched. This once perfect day has been spoiled by snow.

This once perfect day has been spoiled by snow.This once perfect day has been spoiled by snow.This once perfect day has been spoiled by snow.This once perfect day has been spoiled by snow.This once perfect day has been spoiled by snow.This once perfect day has been spoiled by snow.This once perfect day has been spoiled by snow.This once perfect day has been spoiled by snow.This once perfect day has been spoiled by snow.This once perfect day has been spoiled by snow.This once perfect day has been spoiled by snow.This once perfect day has been spoiled by snow.This once perfect day has been spoiled by snow.This once perfect day has been spoiled by snow.This once perfect day has been spoiled by snow.This once perfect day has been spoiled by snow.This once perfect day has been spoiled by snow.This once perfect day has been spoiled by snow.This once perfect day has been spoiled by snow.This once perfect day has been spoiled by snow.This once perfect day has been spoiled by snow.This once perfect day has been spoiled by snow.This once perfect day has been spoiled by snow.This once perfect day has been spoiled by snow.This once perfect day has been spoiled by snow.This once perfect day has been spoiled by snow.

January 16, 2021 18:12

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

1 comment

Lovely story Ashley!

Reply

Show 0 replies
RBE | We made a writing app for you (photo) | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.