0 comments

Fiction Fantasy Drama

Zygos and Rubi Isle are adjoining territories on planet tellus (earth’s twin, 800 years behind, evolving). Zygos was noted for growing cotton and producing cotton products. Goff was a magnate of Zygos who owned cotton plantations, produced products of cotton and marketed them. He was about 30 and was a widower. Flex, his next in command, was about 20, was handsome and had an athletic build.

Because of his position, Flex came into contact with important people in Zygos. That was how he met Jelly the Chief Minister’s (CM) youngest sister who was a paragon of beauty. He would meet her often, give her costly gifts, and she had her affection for him. One day news came to Flex that Goff had his eye on Jelly and he felt that with such strong competition he could never get that woman.

Flex summoned Wizma the witch to consult her. She was a middle aged woman and was reputed to be a fount of esoteric knowledge on the heavens, the weather, and omens. She practised medicine besides. When she arrived Flex seated her and said “Wizma, I’m in love with Jelly. You know whom I’m talking about.”

“Of course I know. The CM’s sister. In fact I birthed her. You’ll have a problem in loving Jelly: Your boss Goff is seeking her hand.”

Flex felt he had had lost. He said “Tell me more.”

Wizma said “Goff goes to Rubi Isle very often.”

“It is on business.”

“No doubt. But he is also going to meet Violi who performs with travelling entertainment groups.”

“I’ve heard of Violi who is said to be a great beauty.”

“Right. He is keeping his love for her a secret: If Jelly came to know of it she could reject him.”

“How far has he gone with Violi?”

Wizma laughed and said “She is an actress and won’t reveal her mind. And she has many admirers. They say Goff is seriously pursuing her.”

Flex wished that Violi would accept Goff.

He said “Wizma, you know Jelly also. Give me some background on her.”

“Have you heard of Dago?”

“Yes. He is a forest brigand.”

“No. He has a price on his head for having killed someone. So he lives in the woods. But he is prosperous as he is hereditarily rich and has a gang to support him. People are afraid of him.”

“What has he got to do with Jelly?”

“Dago grew close to Jelly before he went into exile. They say she still longs for him. That could be true as Dago is a handsome man. He is said to be skilled in the use of weapons and people scared of him. Dago is still said to be in love with Jelly. But there’re rumours that he was killed by a wild beast. Another rumour says he took a boat which was involved in a collision and that he was drowned in the sea.”

Flex wished that Dago was dead. He said “Wizma, take this money for giving me details. I’ll approach you later if needed.”

A week later a man came to see Flex. He said “I’m Dago. You must’ve heard of me.”

Flex was scared to look at the massively built man.

Flex said “Yes I’ve heard of you. But I was also told you were either killed by a wild animal or were drowned in the sea.”

Dago laughed and said “It is good to keep the story that way! But I’m here. I’ve come to talk to you about Jelly. You seem to have hit it off well with her and she doesn’t want me because of you.”

“She has a choice.”

Dago was now furious and said “If she opts for you, you’ll be killed. I’ve ways of ......”

Dago left without completing what he had to say. After thinking over the reality of the situation Felix wondered over what he should do. He finally decided to seek advice from mediator Velcro, who was known to be very wise.

Seated with Velcro, Flex gave details.

Velcro laughed and said “I can see she prefers you. I also know that Dago has a case against him. If you prefer a complaint I can reopen the case. Suppose the king grants him a reprieve  your problem will persist.”

“So you think this problem can’t be solved.”

“I never said that. It all depends on the fee paid to me.” He mentioned an amount and said “If this money is given to me you’ll be rid of Dago.”

“The price is steep.”

“You’ll later realise that my service was really worth it. Can I have the money tomorrow?”

Flex agreed and immediately carried the sum to Velcro. Velcro said “Now be at peace. The problem is almost solved.”

A couple of days later, as Flex was entering his house he felt someone following him. He turned and saw it was Dago.

Dago said “I understand you went and met Velcro. What advice did he give you? I suppose he wanted you to expose me and reopen my case. You do it and you’ll end up dead. I’ll be taking Jelly away with me.”

At this moment 3 men entered. Now Dago seized Flex and held him by the throat. He asked the men who came “Who are you and why have you come here? If you’ve come to kill me or free him he will be dead in a moment. I can guess you’re hired assassins.”

A man who Flex assumed was the head of the three said “We haven’t come to kill you. We’ve come to hang this man Flex.”

“Why?”

“He is mixed up with Jelly whom Velcro’s brother is pursuing. This man should go.”

Dago thought a moment. He felt he could manage to get rid of Velcro’s brother. Then he had a  sudden doubt: Would these men who seemed well informed target me next? I can handle them! He said “Alright let us kill this man. We’ll hang him from a tree there” he said pointing. It was agreed to and they moved to the tree beside the well. Flex saw the moment of truth.

The men took out the rope used for lifting water from the well and made a noose. When all was ready the 3 men suddenly overpowered Dago and fixing his neck in the noose let the rope swing. Dago was gone!

The spokesman for the three said “Dago has committed suicide as Jelly had rejected him.”

Flex now saw the truth behind what had happened. Velcro had done his job for the fee received! A day later, Wizma reported to Flex “Violi has turned Fogg down.”

Flex thought that since Jelly had accepted him, Fogg would fire him. Hearing him voice the problem, Jelly said “Don’t worry on that score. My brother will have many openings for you.” He was happy as he had come a long way, no doubt roundabout, facing swings of fortune and after getting a man to swing from a rope!

END

July 18, 2022 09:59

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

RBE | We made a writing app for you (photo) | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.