The secret behind the doors

Submitted into Contest #34 in response to: Write a story about someone who finds a secret passageway in their house.... view prompt

1 comment

General

MSGS

Skysea (the good puppy)  


[Hey, Robert, I heard you got laid off work due to the outbreak.  How are we going to survive?]

[Also, I’m excited to spend more time together.]

[Who told you that? And it sucks but at least I will have more time to work on my projects… and spend time with you.]

[Paws the cat from the other house, such a snitch, Are you almost home? It has been years since you left. I’m starving.]

[It has been four hours since I left, and what are you talking about? I gave you a full meal before I left!]

[It feels like forever, and I don’t know, it was there and then it was gone! I’m going to look around the house for more food.]

[NO! You are going to make a mess. Just wait until I get home!]

[Walking through the house, uh what is that?]

[What is what?]

[I found a door under the food cabinet.]

[There is not such a door under the food cabinet.]

[It has weird drawings and letters. I’m going to open it.]

[What are you doing? Don’t go inside!]

[I’m almost there!]

[It’s already open, and the things that are inside are unbelievable… Kidding is just like a pathway. I’m going in…]

[I’m here, just wait. Dammit, dog!]


A loud slam at the front door filled the whole house. Robert was running to the kitchen, shouting Skysea’s name. Under the food cabinet, a medium wood carved door was left open.

Rob’s eyes opened wide, he crouched and with hard work he managed to get inside the door. Indeed, there was just a hardwood pathway, shouting and walking as he was looking for his puppy. A big slam hit his right side of his body. His face was getting covered in dog saliva.

“You are here, I told you there was a door!” her tail was waiving hard that it was hitting his legs. He tried to get up, but the strength of his friend was too much to take. Struggling he managed to get up, surprisingly the ceiling was higher than the door, he could fit twice his height in there.


“Yeah, it is pretty disturbing, to be honest. Can we go back now?” he was on his way back when Skysea grabbed him by the shirt, ripping some of it. “Stop it! What do you want?”


“You just arrived let’s see what’s in here” her eyes turned into two cute crystal balls.


“I hate when you do that…” he turned around and started following his friend. High crystal walls surrounded the place; as well the wooden floor. A cold breeze started following them, “we could be inside the warm house right now” Rob said while rubbing his arm to keep him warm. A huge door in front of them, made of copper, at the bottom some crumbles of food laying in the shape of a track.


“That is my food!” Skysea barked at the door, “I think we are going to figure it out who is stealing my precious meals” she tried to slam the door but it was useless.


“You know there should be some kind of key, back in the house; where we are supposed to be!” Skysea growled at him showing disapproval to his statement. “Fine, fine let’s find a way to get in”

The duo started looking for a way to get inside the imponent door. There was nothing to find, only the crumbles. “Wait! You said there was some kind of drawings and words carved on the first door, right?”


“Yes! Do you think those are instructions? Or you just want to go back and leave me here?!” Skysea gave him a mean look, which made Rob uncomfortable.


“I mean, it could be” he pet her head gently to relax her. “I wouldn’t leave you here alone. I Will back as quickly as possible” The puppy licked his face multiple times. “Fine, fine I will run so it doesn’t take me longer”. Rob started running towards the entrance. The way back seemed longer, he arrived, panting sweating, he took a great look at the door, he tried to remember every single aspect of it. He went back thinking in a way to interpret what he saw. 

When he got there Skysea received him waving her tail, and walking in circles.


“I thought you were never coming back,” she said while she tried to jump over him.


“You are always so dramatic. I think I found a way to get in there.” He took a closer look at the shiny door. He touched it; while closing his eyes so he could have a better picture. “Oh, I see.”


“What do you mean? You have your eyes close!” she scratched her side of her furry neck.


“It’s just an expression. According to what I saw at the other door, we need to fill up a pattern, with food…” their faces turn into doubt, both of them grab the remaining crumbles that were on the floor.


“So that’s why they were stealing my food. Now what?”  they looked at each other in doubt.


“There is a trail on the wall, but you can only see it with the eyes close. So I will grab this crumbles and tried to put them on here” Rob closed his eyes and start putting the food crumbles all over the door where the path led him. As soon as he was done the door started to move with a cracking sound. And then it opened.


A powerful light leaked from the other side, Skysea crouched and covered her eyes with her paws. Rob put his hand in front of himself to avoid the light. After the door was totally opened, the light ceased. The duo was flashed so it was hard for them to see; once their sight was back to normal, the saw what it was behind the door.


“This is not possible!” Rob said while tears fell from his cheek


“It is like the perfect playground, for both of us” Skysea tail was going crazy. Both started walking towards the paradise that was ahead of them. Mountains of food and toys. Neverending lands of a playground. Rob was amazed to see that perfect world for her best friend. He was happy for her. “Aren’t you coming?” Skysea grabbed him from the sleeve of his shirt and drag him into the magic world.


They played for hours until Rob was exhausted. Skysea with her infinite energy was too much for him to take. The day turned into night, the sky filled with colorful stars and a huge moon.

Rob got up and started to walk all the way back to the copper door. “Are we leaving now?” Skysea ears went back


“This is not my place. It’s yours. I need to get back. Figure out what I’m going to do with my life”

Tears began to crash the floor where he was standing. “But here is where you belong.”


“I belong wherever you are, but I really like it here.” Skysea started crying “do you promise to visit me every day?” 


“Every day” He hugged his best friend, and kissed him on her forehead “you are always going to be my good girl” Skysea jumped into him and licked his face. He got up and started walking down the way they came. He started closing the door; Skysea was looking at him, with happiness and sadness. Then other puppies came to her and started playing with her. Rob smiled and closed the door, he walked back and got into his kitchen. He shut the other door and then it disappeared. He sobbed but smiled. “I will see you next year my girl,” he said and he grabbed a picture; it was both of them when she was older, one year before she passed away. He kissed the picture and put it back. 

He opened the fridge and something rubbed his legs “oh hi paws! I know you miss her too. If you want next time you can come with me” the cat meowed back. He grabbed the can of food and put it in his bowl. “It is funny how magic works nowadays” he put away the food and looked at his cellphone.  


No messages.


“It will be a long wait” he went to his room ready for sleep. Paws behind him. He got ready to sleep; got into the bed, and pet his cat. Both fell asleep after a couple of minutes. 

And every night in his dreams. He visits her. It’s the only way for him to see her. But every year. The door will open, so all the pets that we loved came to us again for one day. To bring us joy, the love that we gave them.



March 28, 2020 00:55

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

1 comment

Pika Okoye
16:25 Nov 28, 2022

Wow!!!! This was so touching........and Skysea talks? Amazing overall, I just understood the entire plotting at the end and it was beautiful. Carries a message as well. Great work bro, I really like it👍👍🤩

Reply

Show 0 replies
RBE | We made a writing app for you (photo) | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.