Ohimesama (Princess)

Written in response to: Make Japan (or Japanese culture) an element of your story.... view prompt

0 comments

Adventure Coming of Age Romance

This story contains sensitive content

Minor Mention of Gun Violence. Reader Discretion Advised.

"She's gone again, Renji! Find her or I'll find a place for you!"

My father never could keep tabs on me. I ducked everything and everyone who kept watch over me. It sucked but I have that one friend, her name was Mondai but I call her Mona. Her name means Trouble. It's fitting. My mother named me Kirei. It means Beautiful.

It's probably why my father keeps me locked in my room. Oh, I can go to school, walk the gardens, and do those kind of things but I can't be an actual adult.

"Hey, Rei, I have an idea."

"What?" I asked, yawning.

"Fine, I won't tell you to escape your detail. I have an idea to do something you've always wanted to do."

"What?"

"You wanted to visit the Harajuku district, right?"

"Yeah," I said.

"Let's go."

"You know Ji and Be are always around and they're such sticks in the mud."

"I say we invite them. You need clothes and stuff. They can be your judges."

"You know this won't end well." I told Mona.

"It will be glorious." Mona says.

As soon as the chime rang for leaving, Mona grabbed my arm. Renji looked at us.

"Where are you two going?" He asked.

"Renji, dear sweet Renji, Rei and I want to go to the Harajuku district! Could you and Byakuya take us? Pleeeeeease?"

Mona batted her eyelashes. Renji stood stoic.

"No."

"Party Pooper." Mona said.

She then looked over to me and winked.

"We need to use the bathroom."

"Make it quick. Master Mayuri needs Kirei back to the manor."

Mona grabbed my hand and we fled to the bathroom. There, she handed me a blonde wig and a change of clothes.

"What?" I said.

She clamped a hand over my mouth.

"Do you want to go or not?"

I nodded.

"Well, then put these on and don't act like you. Act like someone else."

I did what she told me. Being the Yakuza's princess had drawbacks. I couldn't go anywhere as I was. People would notice me. I was popular for all the wrong reasons. Takeshita Dori's crowded streets and Omotesando's crowded shops provided cover but also landed me in danger. There was no amount of danger to be had, but I was thrilled to experience it with Mona. She was the wise one of the both of us.

Once I changed and Mona was no longer the long haired girl she was, we made our escape. I looked at Renji. I didn't want to deceive him but I didn't want to be trapped either. He, out of both men, would understand. At least, I hope he would.

Mona flagged a cab and we were on our way to Takeshita Dori. I roamed the streets looking at everything. I found some amazing clothes with kawaii kittens on the front. I found a hat for my dad that said I love my dad on it. I found sugar donuts for Renji and Byakuya and then... I found a crystal vase.

"Mona, look!"

"Looks plain to me." She said.

"It's for my mom." I said, nearly crying.

"Ohhh, I see." Mona replied.

That's when I heard the sound of a gun firing. Someone fired into the square. I panicked. I took my packages and Mona's hand and ran for the nearest building. Byakuya taught me evasive maneuvers if I ever got separated from my guards.

Mona and I hid in a bathroom while a man asked a vendor:

"Where is the princess? We know she's here somewhere."

"I don't know what you're talking about, Sir. I don't know a princess."

"Fool."

The man walked away, but not before shooting the table.

It was a few minutes later that the man decided to leave.

"We need to get back to Renji or Byakuya. I don't feel safe."

Mona looked at me, agreeing.

We took off running. That's when we got to the school again. I heard my father's voice on a phone.

"RENJI, WHERE IS SHE?!"

"I don't know. She was here."

"Find her or you're fired."

I walked to Renji.

"I'm right here, don't panic. I went to shop. I got you a present, Daddy."

"KIREI! YOU DON'T GO ANYWHERE WITHOUT RENJI OR BYAKUYA! YOU COULD HAVE GOTTEN HURT! WE'LL TALK ABOUT THIS WHEN YOU GET BACK!"

"As long as you don't fire Renji."

"Give me one good reason why I shouldn't fire him for not doing his job. He let you out of his sight. You could have been hurt."

I sighed.

"I left him. I disobeyed, not him. Don't fire either one of them. Oh and I got you a present."

Mayuri laughed.

"What did you get me this time?"

"A hat that says I love my Dad"

"That seems more like it's for you."

"I do love my dad. Oh and I found a vase for Mama. I want to start putting flowers in it."

"You know, when you do stuff like this, I can't stay mad at you."

"I also bought the guys donuts. Figured they need something to make up for the sassy girl I was to get them without being noticed.

All I wanted was to surprise everyone."

Renji, out of character for him, kissed my head.

"You worry all of us, Ohimesama. Especially me."

"Yo, Renji.. where's Be?" Mona asks.

"He's looking for you two somewhere. I looked around the campus north side. He's looking on the south side."

"Ah, okay."

Mona went to sit on the stairs. Renji looked at me again.

"Are you sure you're okay, Princess?"

"I think so. It just sucks not being free."

He kissed me again.

"I'll always be by your side. No matter what happens."

******

"What do you mean she wasn't there?"

"She wasn't there, Boss. No one saw her. She's just like her father."

"Teenage girls love shopping. We're trying again soon."

That's all the police needed was to capture the princess.

March 26, 2023 17:04

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

RBE | We made a writing app for you (photo) | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.