29 comments

Inspirational Friendship Speculative

The eight of us gathered, lost souls one and all, at the recruiting station. We were waiting in a light rain. Every Sunday morning at 10:00 am our district had a drawing, but rumor said the number of groups to cover all the days, and even the hours of every day, were growing more and more.

This morning, Adam had come down with me. He tilted his head back like he does, his eyes a little too wide open, so I could tell he was scared. The last time we'd both gotten notice our numbers came up '1' and '2'. Can you believe it, our numbers '1' and '2', and then transferred to twins? Some call that fate, but I think it was just luck. We ended up fighting side by side in the Great War. An officer blew his whistle, and we climbed out of the trenches, the same look on Adam's face. The two of us screamed going over the top like warriors but the machine guns opened up something awful. So, as you can tell, he had reasons to be scared. If you're the low number, it's a chancy thing to go back.

No one spoke until George Simms said, "I've never been called. Don't deserve it." I didn't know what George had done, but it must have been bad. He lived mid-valley in a cave, a hermit, overlooking the river. People said they could hear him in the early hours crying in the dark hollows. You'd think everyone would want to go back, but many of us didn't think we deserved it. You have to remember, we were just eight from a district of three hundred, and I guessed there were thousands of districts. So the committee must have sent George notice for a reason. Maybe they thought enough was enough and even George deserved retribution. Of course, if I knew what he did, I might feel different.

Anyway, amongst the eight of us that day, George saying he'd never before gotten a notice started a discussion about who'd been called and who hadn't. Thelia Jones, who'd been in the district longer than anyone, said she'd been called six times. Imagine that, six?

"Six?" I said. "I bet you've got some stories to tell." I'd never known anyone called six times. I'd only been called once with Adam when we transferred as twins. Most people I knew had never been called.

"Yes," she said, her eyes focused straight at the empty platform. She wore a yellow slicker like they do on boats and the rain dripped down off the brim. I thought she was done, and she felt like keeping her lives to herself, but then she said, "Most were alright, glad I went, but the best was as a blind woman. Something about being blind helps you see." She shuddered in the wet mist and shifted her yellow coat closer to herself.

"I don't care to be blind, all the same," I said.

A burly man with a rough look and a black mustache slammed the door as he came out of the recruiting station. The building was no more than a shed really, and he came out and stood above us on a platform. Running his eyes over the group, I could tell he saw us as a bunch of cows or something. He then called out like a barker at a fairground. "You people," he growled. "You know the drill. Each of you comes up and draws a number. If there's a calling, the lowest number goes."

His eyes laid on me like I was supposed to draw first. I must have looked the weakest, is what I figured. But what's the harm, really? First or last, the numbers are the same. I could get a low number no matter what my order of drawing, so I stepped up and climbed the rickety stairs. Ever since I could remember, the district talked about building a better station, including the stairs. I guess it served a purpose and seeing as no one knew the how or wherefore, no one wanted to mess with it. What if you changed something, a new deck for the platform, a new station? Would that change how the transfers worked? The drawing box was a grimy black wooden thing and there again, they said it was the same one used in our district since the call-ups began.

I felt around in the box and ran my fingers over the greasy slips of paper. The burly man met my eyes as I did, like taunting me to chicken out. But I wasn't about to give him any satisfaction, so I squinched up my mouth and thrust my jaw at him as I pulled my lot. Holding it tight, I made a little protest with my fist clenched in front of his face. But he ignored me, so I stomped off the platform knowing you doesn’t check your number until everyone draws. Adam was next, and he climbed up the stairs to draw his, then the other six. Ralf Bellows, Ralphie we called him, complained some once he came back to the group. With a holier than thou expression, he said, "I heard they fix the numbers these days," as if he knew something we didn't and was lording it over us.

"What does that mean?" I asked. Ralphie needed to be held accountable for his high and mighty attitude, was my view.

The question set Ralphie back on his heels some and all he could do was mumble out, "You could end up living out of a garbage dump or worse, feeble minded. They hold back the best assignments, you know."

But I didn't know and what's more, didn't think it was true. "I don't see anybody turning down an assignment by my measure," I said. This was a lie though, because many of us didn't want to go. There's no greater fear than the unknown, I suppose.

Now Ralphie was really wound up; he wasn't mumbling and his thumbs grabbed his blue suspenders. "But some come back early, don't they, you moron? Life's so bad they end it," he said to me.

I didn't want to get into it. At least the come back early part. There's a risk to most about everything I was thinking. Did any of us deserve to be sent back? And if none of us deserve it, how can anyone say this one's bad, and another's not?

Melissa Wilcox chimed in, which didn't surprise me. She couldn't stand Ralphie since he wanted to form a group to choose who went back. A group of men he felt would know best. Woman are too emotional, he campaigned at the time. She pointed her finger at him from between her eyes, peering at him with her stern look, and said, "Watch it Ralphie, who you calling a moron. If I remember correctly, you came back early yourself one time, so don't be judging others."

"I didn't mean—"

"You didn't mean to offend anyone, AGAIN. So keep your mouth shut." Melissa had a sharp tongue.

I was the first to show my number, an '8', so I wasn't going today. Melissa had a '3', so she wasn't going either. Old man Johnson, in his red flannel shirt and straw hat, held up his hand, showing a '2' like he was saluting God. I'd always admired his style. When you can wear about anything you want, you see some strange getups, but not Johnson. Now with the '2', he might have to go if two slots opened up. That would mean twins like Adam and I had that one time, a rare thing, so I doubted it. 

I turned to Adam. He had a '1' on the paper he held in front of himself with both hands, staring at it like he couldn't believe it.

"You're a winner," the burly man said to Adam. "Lemme check the roster. Right back." He turned and went into the shabby office to see if Adam would be called.

I said to Adam, "You might not be needed at all." He looked like he might make a run for it. I saw a woman try that once, but they'd been ready for runners. You get called, you go, one way or the other. I thought for sure he was going to try it though, the way he was sneaking looks to make a break. Me, I never thought about running and wanted to get called. You can't even trade a slot for someone like Adam who maybe doesn't want to go.

Wouldn't you know it, the burly man came back, just like I expected, and said, "We need to get one ready today. The rest of you can go after leaving me your numbers."

"Dern," Adam said.

"What are you dernin' about?" I asked him.

"I could starve," he said. His legs gave out, and I steadied him as he slumped onto a bench by the recruiting platform. He began to lament. "My stomach could ache like there's a nail right through it. Maybe I'll be tortured to death, my fingernails pulled out. Hell, just some disease like cancer could be bad enough to come back early. But once you're in it, it's a tough thing to do, come back early; hang yourself, pull a trigger, or some other thing I don't want to think about."

I'd had enough with his foolishness. "Or you could end up a king, live on a beach with a sunset every day, meet the love you never had; or not die from, but discover the cure for cancer. Man, you've got the opportunity to live a new life!"

He turned his head aside and looked up at me. I'd known Adam was not much for sentimentality and I wasn't either, but where he was going we both knew he'd forget we'd ever known each other the instant he was transferred. They've got these things figured out, so how would it help if you remembered where you came from?

"I won't be me anymore," he said. "My parents and their parent's parents will seep into who I am. And what happens if I lose my memory later?"

"You know as well as I, when you get back here, your mind clears." I said. He had no reason to worry. We'd all remembered everything about our lives when we arrived, and everything about who we were here before. That's how it worked. How else could you learn from it?

"What if it's fixed who you get?" he said, his eyes tearing up.

"So what," I said. "You never know where you'll end up, what you can make of it, unless you go."

The burly man put his arm around Adam and headed him to the office. "We got a live one and you're going Adam. Life—it's all fun and games, until it turns on you!" !" His lower lip turned up in a sneer as he laughed.

They entered the recruiting office together and I swear I could hear a mother crying, the slap of a baby's bottom, the first breath. That was impossible, but I knew Adam had been re-born, a new life to live well or not well, bound to his own mortality once again. "Make this life you have a good one, Adam," I said out loud in a whisper. "Make it the best it can be, my friend.”

April 15, 2024 18:01

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

29 comments

Yuliya Borodina
13:22 Apr 24, 2024

I found myself wondering how many people would be happy to receive a low number, especially in earlier centuries, where the lack of comforts and medicine all but guaranteed you'd suffer badly at some point in life (I mean, I shudder just thinking about something so ordinary as tooth pain without medicine, so I would likely be on Adam's team). A very thought-provoking piece. Thank you!

Reply

Jack Kimball
17:38 Apr 24, 2024

Thanks for reading Yuliya. You make me think the characters could also get called back to different times. Hmmm

Reply

Yuliya Borodina
18:22 Apr 24, 2024

Considering that modern conveniences didn't exist for the majority of human history, it's statistically likely that some of the character's lives would have been far in the past.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Martha Kowalski
00:01 Apr 24, 2024

I had a feeling from the beginning that the "lost souls" would be some sort of re-birth but the way you illustrated it was phenomenal. Such an interesting take to make the souls reluctant to go again, and that they have these feelings and memories that make them complete characters with their own hopes and fears, not just the characters of the people they get born into. Incredibly done!

Reply

Jack Kimball
17:15 Apr 24, 2024

Thank you Martha. "Incrediby done" from you particularly makes my day.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Marty B
22:06 Apr 23, 2024

A lot of anticipation in this story, mostly about what could go wrong. But I guess that's life? So many more possibilities for a things to go wrong, than for things to go right. I like how this line came up 'Something about being blind helps you see.' as a metaphor for what the future life could bring. Thanks!

Reply

Jack Kimball
17:41 Apr 24, 2024

Thank you Marty B!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Kim Meyers
18:54 Apr 23, 2024

I loved the slow unfurl of this story. A vague understanding transformed into a clear image of an unknown future. Great job

Reply

Jack Kimball
17:29 Apr 24, 2024

Thank you Kim for reading, liking, and commenting!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Helen A Smith
19:57 Apr 20, 2024

It seems like they are given a chance to live life again, but they have no way of knowing how their luck will turn out. For twins, if it didn’t go right it would be even more devastating. Hence the twist. Incredible concept. Felt like they needed to escape from a kind of purgatory. That’s how I interpreted it. Engrossing.

Reply

Jack Kimball
15:26 Apr 21, 2024

I like the concept also, but it needs cleaning up and expanding. Maybe someday.... Thank you Helen for reading and commenting. I really appreciate it.

Reply

Helen A Smith
15:54 Apr 21, 2024

It would be good if you could expand it. I’m guessing time is the issue.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Harry Stuart
13:07 Apr 19, 2024

Hey Jack - I had to sit with this one for a while - it's packed with such edgy dialogue and thought-provoking ideas. Why are they reluctant to return? Is it because where they are is the best place ever or is it the fear of the unknown? I think it's natural to wonder what life might be like to have a do-over, so you'd think they would all jump at the chance. Very original premise. I enjoyed it -- well done!

Reply

Jack Kimball
13:14 Apr 19, 2024

"You could end up living out of a garbage dump or worse, feeble minded. They hold back the best assignments, you know." "...many of us didn't want to go. There's no greater fear than the unknown, I suppose." Thanks for reading Stuart!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Dustin Gillham
15:38 Apr 16, 2024

Jack! Fresh concept here. I was trying to figure out what was going on then the twist ending....great stuff.

Reply

Jack Kimball
14:56 Apr 21, 2024

Thank you Dustin. Yes, I may play with the concept. Another reality of souls living another life who jump into newborns, mixing with DNA ascendents, and then gain consciousness of the world of souls at death when they go back. Thank you for reading!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Alexis Araneta
15:36 Apr 16, 2024

Ooh, Jack. This was so creative. That twist at the end. I loved the flow of this too. Splendid work !

Reply

Jack Kimball
15:10 Apr 21, 2024

Thank you Stella. I really appreciate you reading my stuff. This one's kind of a rough draft but I do like the concept. Another reality of souls living another life who jump into newborns, mixing with DNA ascendents, and then gain consciousness of the world of souls at death when they go back.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
RJ Holmquist
15:22 Apr 16, 2024

Lost souls at the station looking for another ride! I love the details that hint at each soul's character, and the shabbiness of the setting is interesting because it is not at all what we tend to imagine for such a place. I found it fascinating that the group knew each other well, and kept tabs on each others comings and goings, as if despite whatever of the varied lives they may have lived, they were the same back at the station. Thought provoking read. As a thought for improvement, I might make the final clue at the end just a little st...

Reply

Jack Kimball
14:32 Apr 21, 2024

Thank you RJ. Given your talent at spec SF I appreciate you reading. I see this as a rough draft with an intriqueing concept. Your comments are always insightful which I appreciate more than you know. Jack

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Aidan Romo
15:03 Apr 16, 2024

Oooo, love me some death/life scenarios when it comes to speculative fiction and this one was interesting to read. Fascinating environment you've created with this piece that elicits some avid curiosity from the reader. (at least it did for me)

Reply

Jack Kimball
14:17 Apr 21, 2024

As always, I appreciate your input Aidan. Looking forward to reading your next entry.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Trudy Jas
13:39 Apr 16, 2024

Great stream of conscious/ run-on sentences monologue. A get-out-of-purgatory card and start over.

Reply

Jack Kimball
14:16 Apr 21, 2024

Thank you for reading Trudy!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Mary Bendickson
01:36 Apr 16, 2024

Great telling but I am still not sure what they were after. A job? Depression time?

Reply

Jack Kimball
02:35 Apr 16, 2024

Thanks Mary. I did a re-write of this first draft to lay it out a little better.

Reply

Mary Bendickson
19:31 Apr 16, 2024

Okay. Much better. Came out much clearer. One question. Why everyone needed a double? Same sort of theme as Kerrianne but way different takes.

Reply

Jack Kimball
20:05 Apr 16, 2024

They went together as a double because twins were being born, so they could go together.

Reply

Mary Bendickson
20:08 Apr 16, 2024

Thanks.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
RBE | We made a writing app for you (photo) | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.