0 comments

Crime

 Murder on the Loose

Caroline and her best friend Mary have just graduated from High School. They have been best friends since elementary school. Ever since they were kids Mary told Caroline that her dream is to take a trip to New York City. When Mary told Caroline her dream, Caroline promised that she would take her there. Many years later Caroline told Mary, “ We should celebrate our graduation by going to New York City for a week. I have been wanting to take you for a very long time now and now’s the perfect time” Mary said, “Yeah we should, I can drive us there”. Later that night they started to pack their bags and buying their hotel room. The next day they drove to New York City. On the way they noticed a prisoner transport bus had been flipped over. Caroline was the first to notice this bus and said, “Stop the car!”. Mary stopped the car and noticed the bus. Mary said to Caroline, “We should go, that's a prisoner bus, they can still be here.” They drove off and continued to New York City. The whole way on their way to New York City Caroline had a really bad feeling about the trip and the bus.When they got to the hotel Mary went inside to check in and Caroline stayed inside the car. While Caroline was in the car she heard a tap at her window. She turned and there was a man in an orange shirt. When she saw orange she screamed at the top of her lungs and Mary came running back. When Mary came she said “ What happened, why were you screaming?”. Caroline replied with, “ I saw an inmate at the car window”. Mary saw the man and turned back to her friend and said, “ He’s just wearing an orange shirt, you're overreacting. Ever since we saw the bus you think everyone is an inmate” Caroline looked at her with an angry face, “ You think I'm overreacting, there are inmates roaming this city as we speak and you think I’m overreacting!”. Later that day at around 1:00pm Mary wanted to go shopping so they went. On their way to the shopping mall they bumped into a man. This man was very muscular and tall. Caroline had a very weird feeling about him because he just started to hang out with them. She found this weird because they had met him not even ten minutes ago. Mary noticed that Caroline wasn’t comfortable with the man and said, “ Let me guess you think he’s one of the prisoners that escaped the bus.” Caroline looked at Mary and rolled her eyes, “Why should we let this man, this stranger come with us when we don’t know him.” Mary looked frustrated and angry, “ Just have fun nothing will happen, you always think the worst.” Caroline was sketchy of the man, “ I’m going back to our hotel room you can stay Mary I won’t ruin your fun.” Once Caroline arrived at her hotel room she turned on the television and saw that the bus full of inmates was on the news. Caroline turned the volume for the TV up. The news reporter said, “ For everyone's safety we recommend to stay in your house and have everything locked. These prisoners are very dangerous and may be armed.”. Once Caroline heard the news her face went pale and tried calling Mary but she wouldn’t pick up. Hours have passed and still no word from Mary so Caroline goes out to look for her. Caroline is walking across the street and finally sees Mary. She ran to her and told her what the news said, so Mary said goodbye to the man and went to their room. Caroline starts panicking and says they have to go home and it’s not safe. Mary then looked and said, “ It’s not like the prisoners are going to come for us. I should have never come with you, you always have to ruin the fun.”Caroline kept on insisting that they need to go home. Mary finally gave in and said that they could go home in the morning. Hours have passed and now the time is almost midnight. The girls were getting ready for bed until they noticed the lights weren’t turning on anymore. They both look outside their bedroom window and see that all the city lights are turning off. Caroline starts panicking even more. Mary started screaming at her, “ You need to stop this, the power is out, that’s it. It’s not like we are going to die!”. They argued for many minutes until the both had enough and went to bed. It was now 2 in the morning and Mary woke up to a loud gunshot coming from outside their window. She wakes up Caroline saying that one of the inmates is outside shooting people. They both run out of the hotel room to try to find other people. Then they finally found a man but Caroline had a really bad feeling about him. She said, “We can't trust anyone right now, for all we know he could be the inmate”. “Caroline, you need to stop this, he can help us!”. The man introduced himself, “Hey I’m Rick. I heard the shots too, follow me, I know where to go.” .They both followed him. Caroline looked afraid of Rick but Mary was talking to him as if she knew him for a long time. Rick took the girls to his room and had to take out some candles because of the power outage. While the man was gone Caroline said, “ We have to get out of here, what if he’s one of the inmates.”. Mary finally agreed with her and they both made their way to the door. On the way to the door the man hit both of them which made them lose consciousness. When Caroline woke up she couldn’t see anything, it was pitch black. She didn’t know where Mary was. Caroline finally realized that Mary was still on conscience. She yelled Mary’s name and after a while she woke up. Then they heard a door open. They both turned around and saw Rick walking in and untying Mary. She gets up and walks towards Rick and they start talking like normal. They then walk out leaving Caroline in the dark forever.

May 07, 2021 23:55

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.