1 comment

Fantasy

Wildly Magical

By Angelique McCrary

“Ladies and trolls we are five minutes from our destination. Please stay seated until we make a complete stop,” the chubby goblin said. A young she-elf clutched her bag tighter. “Stay calm,” she thought. Denise smoothed the wrinkles on her soft pink dress. When she looked up a snaggled tooth ogre sat across from her.

“Hi there,” he grinned. The ogre looked like he never had taken a bath. He smelled like sulfur and vomit. Thankfully the Water train stopped and latched to the waiting pad.

“Excuse me,” said Denise quickly exiting the water train. Before she made it to the tunnel a strong hand grabbed her arm.

“Ow! Let me go,” she screamed kicking her attacker. The ogre held fast.

“Such a pretty thang,” said the ogre.

“Do we have a problem here, Fernando?” said a familiar voice. Fernando let go of Denise then put his hands up.

“No, sir. Just trying to show the little lady around,” he said.

“Thank you for welcoming my cousin to our small town,” Sheriff Key said. Fernando paled.

“You’re welcome, sir. I’ve got to go,” Fernando said. “Nice to meet you ma’am.” He hurriedly walked around the sheriff's and up the ramp.

“Thank you Remmi. It has been too long,” said Denise while giving him a hug.

“That’s what family does,” he said. “Let’s get you settled.”

The cousins walked up the ramp. Denise was blinded by the bright sun that beat its yellow rays on the town.

“Welcome to Premier,” said her cousin with little enthusiasm. “I still have no idea why you would give up the city life for this wasteland.”

“A change of pace I guess,” said Denise squinting at the town. “Everything will be fine Remmi. Besides this will be an adventure.”

“At least Stay out of trouble for our grandmother’s sake,” said Remmi shaking his head.

“Whatever do you mean?” Denise smiled mischievously. He threw his hands up.

“This way.”

Denise took all the sights in from the buildings to the people who walked in and out of them. She relished in the scene of her new home. Across the street, she heard a fight. A man was thrown out of the saloon into the water trough with a burly giant in an apron close behind.

“You stay outta here if ye know what good for yer,” said the giant wiping the blood off his hands.   

“Ah come on now just one more drink,” said the roughed up man. “ I’m good for it, see.” He held up a strange large coin.

“No. Here comes the sheriff,” said the giant, “Sheriff take him and throw em in jail. He is trying to pull a fast one.” Remmi came up. “Is there a problem here Mr. Jo?”

Simon held up his hands, “I was just leaving Sheriff Key.” Simon looked over and looked at me.

“I don’t think we had the pleasure ma’am,” He said with a drunken slur. “I’m Simon.” He held his hand out to me.

“I will take care of him,” said Remmi grabbing the man by the arm and leading him away from the scene. “Come on, Simon. Sorry Denise, but we need to make a stop.” Denise just nodded her head.

Next thing she knew they were in front of a boarding house. Remmi told her to wait while he helped Simon to his room. Denise watched the people in the streets. For a small town, it was always moving it seemed. She was surprised there were wildling elves trading at the general store. They had mounds of furs. One of the young wildlings waved at her bashfully. Denise smiled and waved back. The little girl hid her face in her hands. The family left with a variety of goods.   After she watched them leave, Denise decided she would check on her cousin. As she reached for the door, Remmi came out.

“Sorry for the wait. Making sure he was settled,” Remmi said. “Let’s head home.”

Remmi lived in a modest home. It was a three-room apartment her bedroom overlooked the busy street. “Thankfully clean. However, nothing like back home, Denise thought placing her bag down on a small stool. She opened a window to let a breeze in and got a face full of dust instead.

“Eep,” squeaked Denise. Remmi came in and roared with laughter.

“I suggest you keep the window closed.”

“Thanks for the tip.”

It was the middle of the night when the ground shook. Screams filled the air and the was a wave of rumbling in the streets. Denise looked out her window and saw unicorns rampaging down the street. She could have sworn there were men riding on the backs of them. It was too dark even for her elf sight to see.

Bang! Pop! Pop! Rang in the air. Denise ducked underneath the window seal. The rumbling stopped. All she heard was panicked voices of the townspeople. Slowly, she peeked over. Debris littered the street. Some of the townspeople walked out to see what was happening.

“The bank is on fire!” someone screamed. Denise could not tell where the voice was but she saw people running up the way the unicorns came out of her view. Grabbing her robe and new boots she ran out the door towards the fire. It was chaos. The Premier people gathered buckets and some of the witches came to help. In no time the ravaging fire was doused. Everyone cheered at their accomplishment.  

“Denise!”

She turned to see Remmi and Simon covered in soot. Remmi hugged her while Simon awkwardly stood by. Pushing away Denise looked in his eyes.

“What happened to you two?” Denise said glaring at both of them.

“I’m sorry but we have to go after the culprits,” said Remmi. “You need to stay here out of trouble. Safe.” Simon nodded in agreement.

“Wait. You can’t just leave me here and go off with a drunk!” Denise yelled.

“That’s why I’m leaving Simon with you.”

Simon looked confused and started to protest. “You can’t go alone. You don’t know how many are out there.”

“Not negotiable Simon.” With that Remmi walked to the town stable then followed the tracks of the unicorns.

“The nerve of him!” Denise stomped her foot on the ground. “Come on Simon. We’re following.”

“Woah there little missy. I was told to protect you,” said Simon.

“And you will,” she said then added, “By following me.” Denise stormed into the barn frightening the stable boy. After ranting at the boy, The boy handed her the reins of with an old rickety unicorn that looked it had seen better days.

“Here you go ma’am,” the boy said shaking. He ran away to the back of the barn and hid.

“We are not going to get far on Old Joy,” said Simon behind her. “That’s why we will be taking Demon.” He brought out a spirited young pegasus out of a stall. Simon motioned her to get on.

They were off after Simon hopped on behind her. It took them an hour before they spotted Remmi gaining on the unicorn herd. The shouts of the robbers were heard. Sparks of light shot out towards Remmi which he dodged easily. The Pegasus whinnied which distracted Remmi. Magic light hit his unicorn which sent him flying. Denise screamed.   Simon maneuvered the Pegasus to the fallen sheriff. On the ground, Simon checked his friend’s vitals.

“He’s fine.”

“What about those men?” said Denise. “What should we do?”

“Nothin,” said Simon, “We are going to get the Sheriff back to…” Demon whinnied and was in the sky with the disheveled she-elf. Simon watched dumbfounded as she flew after the outlaws. Pink light barreled from demon then split into smaller beams.

“Rargh!” Was all he heard. Remmi stirred and grabbed Simon’s arm.

“Where is she?” the panicked sheriff asked. Simon pointed towards the flashes of pink light across the desert.

January 18, 2020 01:24

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

1 comment

Chris Sharrock
21:08 Jan 22, 2020

Cool setting. I like that they are using magic to fight in place of guns and that the bandits are riding on unicorns

Reply

Show 0 replies

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.