0 comments

Christian Contemporary High School

"I'm never going out with you again, Dad!" Ashley said under her breath as she left the dance hall. It was really the school gym, but it was decorated in a theme to make it look like a dance hall. Ashley felt humiliated and completely childish. Andy walked to the car with a bewildered look of fear and confusion on his face. As soon as both doors were closed he looked at Ashley and said, "Sweetheart, I have lost your mother, and I can't bare to think of loosing you. You don't watch the news, you don't hear the reports about the kidnappings, assaults, rapes, and murders every single day. I love you and want to protect you from evil. Please understand that, I try to take you out and treat you like a propper gentleman will treat you, so when he comes you will recognize and be comfortable with him." Ashley spoke up and after listening with such respect and admoration, "Yes, I loved our Daddy daughter dates, when I was 4. But not now at 17, you want to go to the music club that all my friends go to every Friday night.  How am I ever going to get a date to the prom if you always show up everywhere I go, (Ashley makes quotations marks with her fingers as she says,) ""setting the tone?" Oh I'm so mad, if Mom were alive she wouldn't let you ruin my life. Let's go home, you are embarrassing me again but now we are in the parking lot."

Andy starts the car, and he says, "No one else is out here." Ashley says, "Yeah I know can you please drive." She kind of slumsped down in her seat and grabbed Andy's baseball cap from the back seat and put her long hair in it, and put on some shades. Andy drove out of the parking lot and said, "Boy you are embarrassed to be seen with me, how can I make this up to you?" Ashley said, "I don't know Dad but I will let you know if I figure it out."

That night was not good for either Ashley, or Andy. Ashley called her best friend Britney. She picks up her Minnie Mouse phone, dials the number and Brittany says, "Kelly residense, how may I help you." Ashley blurts out, "Brittany, wow my Dad still thinks I'm a little girl who is going to get hurt somehow." Britany is surprised on the other end of the phone and says, "Well hello to you to, I thought the dance did'nt end until 10. It's only 8:15, what did the chaperone do? Atleast your Father lets you go, just because my Father said it's not propper for a Southern Baptist to dance. So I don't get to go to any dances, and I will have to miss prom." Brittany somberly whined. Ashley speaks with a sympathetic tone, "I am sorry for you Brittany, but what is it some kind of rule at the parents club that as soon as your kid is born you gotta try to re-live your childhood through them, or absolutely sabatage any meanial life they establish?" Brittany says, "I don't know, it sounds like you have been secretly attending parent's club meetings." The two of the girls break out in laughter. "You know my Mom is divorced, and your Dad might like her; we are Mormon after all." Ashley says, "Ya'll don't go to church." Brittany says, "Nah not anymore, since my Dad died, he used to preach back in Utah. Mom was'nt raised Morman, but she sure did love Dad, and would do anything to please him. So she converted, and Dad died when I was 12, and we moved to Texas last year. We got our first television about 6 months ago." Ashley looked as if puzzle peises in her mind were interlocking. She says, "Oh I wondered where your tv was the first time I visited. But then I kind of forgot about it once we got in the hot tub." "I know right, I guess we're not Mormon anymore. I liked going to your church. The bibles read different than the one's I grew up with." Brittany says. Ok now Ashley's face began to light up as if a light bilb was coming on in her head. Ashley said, "Say, let's try to figure out a way to get your Mom to visit our church, Brittany." "Sounds boring, why in the world would we do that?" Ashley says. "You can tell your Mom what a good preacher my Dad is, and how he is ruining my life by by hovering over me, and how he just needs a lady friend." Brittany shakes her head no real quick and says, "No that won't work, how about you tell your Dad that your friends Mom is hot and single, and coming to church on Sunday." Ashley shakes her head and says, "No way, your Mom is boring, and conservative; so that's not true. But my Mom was boring and conservative too. So how about we just ask God to take ovcr and we will ask to go to the same resturaunt after church." Brittany says, "Sounds like we might be sisters after all." Ashley says, "Yeah after a wedding. Now go ask if ya'll can visit our church in the morning. My Dad's having a special sermon." Brittany says, "Ok what is the special sermon about?" Ashley says, "Oh my Dad's preaching on the fruits of the spirit this month, about how we can apply them to our everyday life." Brittany says, "Ok even if they only become friends, who cares? That will take some of the X-ray focus off of our lives." Ashley giggles and says, "Absolutely, I'll go tell my Dad I want to eat at Santa'Fe's resturaunt tomarrow , because you're Mother is coming to our church. I'll say Brittany thinks her Mom needs the Lord, especially now that her Father has been gone for 4 years, and they have stopped going to church." Brittany closes her eyes and nods her head as she says, "That would be absolutely true, I miss youth group, and my Mom used to have so much fun with her Ladies Ministry. Sounds good, pray before you talk to him." Ashley smiles and says, "Ofcourse, you too - call me at 9 to tell me what she says, and I will tell you."

July 25, 2021 02:20

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

RBE | We made a writing app for you (photo) | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.