THE START OF SOMETHING NEW

Submitted into Contest #132 in response to: Write a story about a teenager whose family is moving.... view prompt

2 comments

Coming of Age Teens & Young Adult Friendship

THE START OF SOMETHING NEW

BY

Paula E. Young

             "Libby, your dad has orders again! Guess where!" The pecan leaves were just beginning to turn with the first hint of fall in the air. Lorraine caught up with her daughter, Libby, walking the dog. 

      "Mom! Where and WHEN? This is my senior year of high school! We can't move now!!" Libby swished her dark brown ponytail back and forth and held her hands to her mouth, dreading her mother's response. 

      "The "where" is New Orleans! Doesn't that sound fun?" Loraine gently touched her daughter's shoulder. "The "when" is a little bit flexible." 

      "What does that mean?" asked Libby. 

      "Well, your father has to leave in two weeks. You know, the Navy doesn't often give us much notice. We can stay a bit longer. I'd love for you to finish the first semester."  

      "This semester? What about the rest of this year? What about graduation? We're the infamous class of '69! This will ruin EVERYTHING!" 

      Libby ran into the house, up to her room, and sobbed into her pillow. She had never lived anywhere this long. She and her family had moved to Virginia Beach in the middle of her eighth grade. Now it was her senior year. Libby had friends. She would miss all of her senior year fun! Prom, luncheons, Senior Skip Day, graduating with her friends. This will scar me for LIFE! 

      When she had recovered a bit, she decided to try her mom one more time. This must be a mistake! 

      "Mom? Do we really have to go at the end of the semester? Could I stay here with Karen? I know her mom wouldn't mind, and they have plenty of room. Pleeaasseeee…"

      "That would just be too much of an imposition on her family. Besides, this will give you a chance to get acquainted before summer. You know how hard it is to meet kids when you're not in school. Your dad really needs us there. He will be the Commanding Officer of the Naval Air Station, and he will need our support." 

      Libby's head and shoulders fell. 

      "Go call Karen. A good chat with your friend will make you feel better." 

      "No, we'll both feel worse." Libby went to her room and slammed the door. How could this happen?

      She did call Karen. They both talked through tears. Then she called Tom, the lanky chemistry whizz, whom she adored. Libby had fond memories of snorkeling in the Chesapeake Bay, movies, and dinners with their families. What began as study partners in Chemistry class became something more. Tom worked after school, so they'd only been out a few times, but they talked endlessly. They agreed to write every day. Maybe they could go to the same college! That thought appealed to Libby, and she felt a little better.

      By Monday at school, everyone had heard the news. Rumors were already flying. Was she pregnant? Is that why she was leaving school in the middle of the year? Virginia Beach is a Navy town! You'd think people would know that Navy families come and go! Libby held her head high and ignored the gossip. Later she went to Karen's house and cried and cried. 

      "We will get through this," said Karen. "New Orleans sounds so cool. I'd love to go there. Just think of all those sweet southern gentlemen!"

      "You sound like my mom! We may be going there over Fall Break to see my dad and check out colleges. Actually, I think Mom just wants me to fall in love with the city. It's just not happening!" 

      The visit was not what anyone envisioned. Because of the family dog, Muffin, and New Orleans city ordinances, they had to stay out of the city limits in a fleabag motel, literally! Fleas! The Air Station seemed miles away from everything. However, the campus of Tulane University, covered with live oaks and Spanish moss, and the lemony smell of Magnolias in bloom enabled Libby to see herself there. The science facilities left her in awe. Would Tom like it? The family dined at Commander's Palace and walked the historic French Quarter. Libby did love it. 

      The house on the base was just an ordinary house. In California, the quarters had been built in the 1920s and were fabulous. Here, even the blooming crepe myrtles didn't make up for the plain appearance of the house. Such is Navy life, her mother would say. 

      Back in Virginia, Libby told Karen all about her trip. She had flea bites to prove it! 

      "Oh, Karen. What am I to do?" 

      "You can stay here with me. We have plenty of room." 

      "Mom already nixed that idea. I know we'll go our separate ways when we graduate. I just didn't think it would be so soon!" 

      "It's October, and we have until January. Let's make the most of it!" 

      Libby finished her field hockey season—they were undefeated. She also went to all of the football games, marching at half-time with her drill team. The science club worked on a project with one of the colleges to restore an estuary. They were involved with soil sampling. Libby made sure she had little time to worry about the move. 

      Tom took Libby to the Homecoming Dance. Afterward, they walked on the beach. Libby held up her long red dress's hem and let the water wash over her bare feet. Tom showed Libby the bioluminescence in the waves lapping on the beach. Perfection! Then, they talked. Libby told Tom about Tulane. Tom told Libby about Old Dominion. Tom's family couldn't afford Tulane. 

      "What about Richmond? We both have full scholarship offers there?" he asked.

      "But their science department is terrible. I couldn't major in marine biology. We aren't going to end up at the same college, are we?" Libby asked. 

      "It doesn't look like it."

      "Oh, Tom, what are we to do?" She brushed a lock of his light brown hair from his face.

      "Enjoy the time we have together."

      Tom held her, and they kissed. But Libby had a hurricane of thoughts swirling in her head. Was Tom THE ONE? Would going to a school that didn't offer her major be the thing to do? Was this relationship worth it? My whole future rests on this decision.  

      "Let's go home," she said. 

      Monday morning at school, Tom didn't wait at Libby's locker, like usual. Then she saw Tom talking to Becky in the lunch line. Tom seemed himself in Physics class, but he didn't wait for her after school. 

      Libby immediately called Karen when she got home. 

      "Before our last move, I told my friends we planned to move. It was weird. They started hanging out with other kids, not me. Tom seems to be doing the same thing."

      "Oh, Libby. I didn't want to tell you, but I heard that he asked Becky out!" 

      "Becky! Becky and her loose morals! Well, that's one easy decision. I'm now ready for a fresh start. Oh, Karen! At least I still have you as a friend."

      "And you always will." 

      Friends since the eighth grade, Libby knew what Karen said was true.  

      Libby approached Tom before Physics class the next day.

      "I heard a rumor…."

      "It's true. I asked Becky to go to a movie with me." 

      "What happened to "enjoying the time we have left"?

      "Well, you're going to be gone…."

      "I'm not dead yet!" Libby went to her seat and slammed her books on her desk. Tom winced and slunk to his seat. 

      Time flew by… Thanksgiving, Christmas. Libby's dad came home for those holidays. It made things seem more normal. But the move was always hanging over Libby's head. 

      Then, the packing process began with the usual chaos. Karen came by for a tearful goodbye. The time came to leave their Virginia colonial and go the plain little ranch, adequate but not remarkable. Libby's new room held her desk and bed but didn't feel like home. Nothing would be the same again. 

      In New Orleans, lots of things were different, including the wildlife. While Libby walked her dog, she heard something that sounded like sheep. She looked all around but saw nothing. Her dog did not react to the sound. What could it be? It seemed to be coming from the ditch next to the road. Being a science nerd, Libby had to investigate. What she found were little frogs! They sounded just like sheep. The following day she opened her front door and saw a rat as big as a giant cat! She screamed! Her dad came running. 

      "Oh, Libby. I see you have found Muffin's present for us. It's a "nutria." They generally live along river banks. I'm not sure where Muffin found it, but we'd better get rid of it before your mom faints!" 

      Anxious about her first day at the new school, Libby dressed with care. Would they be wearing Oxford cloth shirts and sweaters, or something else? Her classes and teachers were fine, except that she would have to retake Trigonometry! They offered it the first semester in Virginia and the second semester here. Oh well. 

      Other things were very different. Lunch! Red beans and rice, salad, and French bread. Being the new kid, the other students wanted to talk to Libby. But Libby felt a wall between herself and the others. They had grown up together. She was definitely an outsider. Well, it was only for one semester to be endured rather than enjoyed. She went home and cried. 

      The next day Ms. Thibodaux, the math teacher, asked Libby to tutor one of the students. 

      "Since you've already had this class…."

      "Sure. I'd love to." 

      "This is Cheryl. You two can work out a time." 

      Cheryl showed Libby the ropes of the new school and new town. Libby helped Cheryl with math. Libby finally felt like she could breathe. She had a friend.

      Karen came for a visit over Spring Break! Her family took the girls to Brennan's for brunch. As the drinking age in New Orleans was eighteen, they had a Milk Punch, a heavenly mixture of milk, cream, bourbon, and vanilla topped with nutmeg. Karen got tipsy. So much for shopping afterward. Libby and Karen sat on a bench in front of the restaurant and talked while Libby's mom and dad did some shopping.  

      "I just can't believe that you're here! I've missed you so much! Tell me all the latest gossip." 

      Karen filled Libby in, then they rated all the males their age that passed from one to ten with lots of giggles. Libby's parents returned. Her dad had purchased three-wide ties. Perhaps the Milk Punch had affected them as well. Libby's mom suggested coffee at the Café du Monde, and all agreed. 

      The spring semester flew by. Libby focused on homework, but Prom and graduation were approaching. At Libby's new school, the girls wore long white dresses instead of a cap and gown. Loraine worked furiously at the sewing machine. They had gone to a fabric store on St. Charles Avenue and had yards of organza and lace. The girls graduated in their dresses at this school, then went to Prom. Cheryl had gotten Libby a blind date—one of her older sister's friends from college. Cheryl had a blind date, too, since she recently broke up with her boyfriend. At least the two girls would have fun double dating. 

      Libby sat on the patio, petting Muffin. Her mom came out and sat next to her.  

      "A penny for your thoughts."

      "I see my whole future. I'm going to go attend Tulane University. I'll make new friends, start my career, and maybe meet my future husband here. What if I had stayed in Virginia? Maybe I would have chosen Duke for college. How different would my two paths have been? I would have different friends and a different husband. Life is so strange." 

      "Are you happy with this path?" asked Mom.

      "I guess that remains to be seen. I am certainly happy enough for now. You and dad will move again in a year, but I'll stay here. These are my choices. I wouldn't have said that in January. I'm sorry I caused you so much trouble." 

      "I'm sorry we had to wreck your Senior Year—just a casualty of military life. You've really made the best of it. I'm so proud of you." They sighed and hugged. 

      "I guess I'd better get ready for the big day. This is really the start of something new!"

      "And I'm going to take plenty of photos to document it!" 

February 11, 2022 11:55

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

2 comments

Tricia Shulist
09:28 Feb 15, 2022

That was a nice story. Tom was a bit of a jerk, which made it easier for Libby to go, I would think. I liked that Karen came for a visit. Thanks for this.

Reply

Paula Young
15:48 Feb 18, 2022

Thanks for the encouraging comment!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
RBE | We made a writing app for you (photo) | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.