0 comments

Fiction Funny Happy

Hi Masie, June 10

I just got home from dropping you off. I was so proud of you getting on the bus. Summer camp should be so much fun. I hope you make some new friends. It’s nice that Leah is with you. I’ll be sure to write you every day. 

❤️ Love, ❤️

Mom

Dear Masie,                 June 10

Mom said I had to write you a stupid letter. I hope you have fun.

That’s what she told me to say.

Your brother TJ

🤣🌠

Dear Mommy,                June 11

I miss you and Dad so much. I guess I miss TJ too. Leah is not in my cabin. I don’t know anyone’s name. No one talked to me. When we got to camp they split us up into five groups. Leah and I are not even in the same group. Her last name starts with the letter b so she is in the first group. I’m in the third group because my name starts with a k. They made us all go to the flagpole to listen to some boring guy read the rules. Then we ate lunch. It was a bologna

sandwich with mustard on it. I don’t like mustard so I only ate the outsides of it. I couldn’t have dessert because I didn’t eat my sandwich. 

I don’t think I’m going to like it here. In the middle of the night if you have to go to the bathroom you have to go outside and walk through the scary trees to find the building. One girl in my cabin had to do it last night. She was gone a long time and she was crying when she came back. She said the trees have strange noises coming from them. She was afraid a wolf was going to eat her. 

We had a thunderstorm. It was scary too. The lightening makes the cabin light up and you can see the shadows of the trees outside. One tree scratches on our roof. I think an animal lives in it.

How many more days till I can come home? I don’t think I want to go to summer camp after all. Can you please pick me up? Now I’m crying because I miss you so much. We had to eat pancakes for breakfast. They gave us orange juice and milk. The milk was warm and I wanted to spit it out. I didn’t get to have a doughnut hole

because I wouldn’t drink my milk.

Please come and get me. I’m going to die out here. 

I love you and Daddy and TJ and Cleo and Grandma

Massie

Hello Masie               June 11

I told you I would write to you every day. The house is too quiet with you gone, but I’m sure you are having a fun time. TJ wanted to sleep in your bed last night. I said he could for one night. Cleo can’t figure out where you are. She walks around the house looking out of the windows and whimpers. She goes into your room and lies on the rug by the bed. TJ promised her he would take her for a walk today. He said it would get her mind off missing you. 

Daddy told me to say hi and that he loves you. He has one more day on his business trip and then he will be home.

Love you❤️

Mom

Mommy,                   June 12

Please come get me. I miss you so much. It’s raining and there is nothing to do. I got bit by mosquitoes last night sleeping. I itch all over. Please come!

Love

Masie

Hi Sweetie,                 June 14

I read your letter today out loud to TJ. He feels sad for you because he hates milk. He said don’t go into the woods at night. There could be a bear. I told him he was silly and that there is nothing for you to worry about. The camp keeps the animals out. You will be safe. It always takes a few days to figure out new things. I’m sure by time you get this letter you will already be having fun. I can’t wait to hear all of your stories.

Love, ❤️ 

Mommy, Daddy and TJ

Hey Messy Masie,          June 14

Don’t go into the woods at night. A bear will grab you and take you to it’s cave. I’ll never get to see you again. Can I have your scooter then?

Your Brother TJ🤩

Hi Sweetie,                  June 15

I’m sorry you are homesick, but I guarantee it will get better. I went to summer camp and I remember being homesick too. I even had Aunt Lyndsey with me and we were both homesick. But we started to do fun things and we went swimming and paddled canoes. Before we knew it, it was time to go back home, but we were having so much fun, we didn’t want to leave. When we went back the next year, there were so many of the friends we had made there again.

We weren’t homesick at all. 

TJ is lost without you. He is going to start swimming lessons so that will help him keep busy. He caught lightening bugs last night and said he was going to keep them till you get home. I made him release them today. Cleo got her summer cut today. She looks so skinny without all her fur. 

Love, ❤️

Mommy

Dear Mommy,              June 17

Today we got to make friendship bracelets. Every girl in your cabin had to make one for each girl. We have five bracelets on. Sarah made one that was all purple. I told her it was my favorite color. She said it was hers too. She gave me the purple one. I saw Leah at lunch today and she got to sit with me. She said she doesn’t like camp either. After lunch we got quiet time so Leah and I made each

other a friendship bracelet. Now I have six.

The food is terrible. Except we had PBJ sandwiches today. I got to have a popsicle because I ate all of it. Last night we had stew and I didn’t get to have dessert because I didn’t eat my carrots.

Tell TJ I don’t care if he sleeps in my bed but he better not mess up my room.

Love,

Masie

Hi Hunny Bunny,               June 21

I got your letter today and I can’t wait to see all of your bracelets. That sounds like it was a fun craft to do. Have you made anything else? 

I don’t think I would like the food either. I wouldn’t get to have dessert, too. Have you made s’mores yet? That’s like having a special dessert. 

Daddy and TJ went to watch Sam play his little league game. Uncle Dave asked Daddy to help him coach tonight. The other coach is on vacation. I have the house to myself. Well, Cleo is here too.

Love you,❤️

Mommy

Dear Mom,                  June 21        

A mouse had babies in my suitcase! They were so tiny and cute. Miss Teri said not to touch them. She had a man come in and take the suitcase out. She told me they would wash my clothes. I wanted to keep one and bring it home. We went on a canoe ride to another camp yesterday. It was fun. We learned some silly songs and we played red rover. The bell for dinner just rang. Tell TJ he can’t have my scooter.

Love,

Masie

Hey Moosie Masie.           June 21

Ronnie Smith fell off his bike and broke his arm. He has a neon green cast. He thinks he is so cool with it. Matt told Ronnie he was going to break his other arm.

Your Brother TJ🤪

Hello Masie,                 June 24

It sounded like fun going to the other camp. I loved learning the silly camp songs. Did you sing The Princess Pat song? How is Leah doing? I hope she is having fun now. 

Daddy is out mowing the lawn. TJ is at William’s birthday party. He is having a pool party and sleepover. TJ’s swimming lessons are going well. He’s like a fish. It rained here on Monday so they cancelled them. TJ wasn’t happy. I took him to the movie and that made him feel better. 

A mouse had babies! Oh my goodness. What a surprise that must have been! TJ said you should have put them all in your backpack so he could have one too. I told him no one is getting a pet mouse.

Love,❤️

Mommy

Mom,                     June 26

Today we did swimming relay races. I won second place. They gave me a ribbon. Leah was mad that she didn’t win one. Her partner was sooo slow. Kelly was my partner and she’s fast. Last night we told scary ghost stories in our cabin after lights out. We all had our flashlights on. 

Love,

Masie 

Hi Masie,                    June 30

Congratulations on winning your swim race. TJ said he wants to race you when you get home. He says he can beat you. I can’t wait to see your ribbon. We can put it in a frame and hang it in the family room. It sounds like you are having a good time. I remember tell spooky stories too. We would giggle as we whispered them because we didn’t want our guide to hear us. 

I called the camp director to be sure they were washing your clothes. They said that one year a squirrel had babies in someone’s suitcase! Can you imagine that? I bet they were cute too. 

TJ said last night that he misses you a lot. He said Cleo told him she misses you too. He has a vivid imagination. He’s counting the days till you return home.

Love,

❤️

Mommy

To my sister Masie,        June 30

Mom says you’ll be home in seven days. Are you bringing me a gift? Cleo wants one too.

Your brother TJ😵‍💫

Mom,                     July 4

Happy 4th of July. We are having a water balloon fight. Can I come back next year?

Love

Masie       

August 25, 2023 23:04

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.