Contest #138 shortlist ⭐️

128 comments

American Romance Inspirational

“No, she isn’t my daughter,” he corrects a colleague. “She’s my wife.”

On cue, I beam at my husband, innocent and doe-eyed—like I did in my 20’s when he was in his 40’s. His friend invariably elbows him, making comments about cradle robbing and spring chickens. We laugh. I say something clever in reply. His companion looks surprised. 

And she’s witty, too?

My cheeks hurt in an attempt to hold a smile. They continue to talk like I’m not there, but my husband reaches out for my hand. Above all, we are the dearest of friends. 

But in public? I remain silent. 

Silence is expected of younger wives, but—trust me—I have plenty to say to his ogling peers and their stink-eyed wives, unhappy women stuffed into spandex. A decade or two younger than they are, I want to say that I am not some trophy that my husband picked up along the way to the corner office.

We met like they did. Phone calls. First dates. Long romantic weekends. 

His business associates' wives often assume that I lurked by the photocopier after hours, beguiling a hardworking family man, using the currency of youth to pry my husband from the steely grip of an imaginary wronged wife. 

What I want to say is that I am my husband’s first wife—my husband’s only wife. Because of our quarter century age difference, they assume I am a homewrecker. What disappoints them is that for over twenty years, I’ve been a homebuilder, as faithful and as loyal as their husbands pretend to be.

They assume my husband has children from a previous marriage, lost souls now bouncing from house to house in a never-ending custody dispute. They feel sorry for his fictitious children, all those missed soccer games, unseen plays on opening nights, dirty gym uniforms left at the other parent’s home. Doesn’t she know how much psychological damage she’s causing his offspring?

What I want to say is that my husband is childless by choice. 

And due to our age difference? He has made that choice for me, too.

The decision not to have children at the time we married seems plausible. We are involved in so many things that missing the pitter patter of little feet doesn’t matter much. Surely I can nip my need to nurture by the pitter patter of puppy paws?  

This plan works well in my 30’s. Cliché as it sounds, my rescue dogs rescue me, adding a new level of unconditional love and entrance into a welcoming community. I become a fixture at the dog park, the veterinarians, and the neighbors, apologizing for my dogs digging holes under the fence. 

But in my 40’s? I drop off my nephews and nieces after a day with their fun aunt, waving as they open the door to their cluttered and chaotic homes. My house is spotless, aseptic, quiet. 

Whenever I see a long table in a restaurant, filled with generations of well wishers—babies held by doting grandmothers, aunts leaning over to tussle a beloved nephew’s hair—I make an excuse and we leave. My husband doesn’t understand, thinking I don’t want to eat with so much noise and commotion nearby. The problem is that I do. But I want our noise, our commotion, our extended family that isn’t. Not the silence of two people with precious little to talk about—except for how the scallops were undercooked. 


People often ask us how we met. I understand the subtext. 

I know what they are really asking: Is your young wife a gold digger? Does she have daddy issues? Did she lose a bet? 

What I want to say to them is that I met my husband on the subway. It was—and still is—love at first sight. I still swoon when I see my husband pull his car into the driveway. It thrills me to no end to see his blue eyes twinkle when I walk by, his hands tracing my backside when he brushes past. 

I do love him. 

But these days, I’m afraid to go to sleep. 

Now in his early 70’s, my husband seems to age overnight. Exponentially so. 

Each day brings a new pain, new ache, new symptom. His left hip hurts. His cholesterol is running high—even though we have cut out red meat and cheese. He needs a stronger prescription for his eyeglasses, bifocals, trifocals—now, multifocals. 

More of his teeth need crowns; the crowns he has need root canals. 

I spend a lot of time at the pharmacy. With so many new medications, I buy him a pill organizer, since neither one of us can keep up. I pick up his high blood pressure medication along with my birth control pills. 

And his hair. God, his hair. At first, the gray around his temples looks distinguished. Like a university professor. Even when he becomes a silver fox, he turns heads. But in his late 60’s? His hairbrush is full of fine white hair, as his pale pink pate pokes through what had once been a forest of thick black curls. 

Every new change acts as a harbinger, a warning that time is a non-negotiable asset, a message that I’ll most likely spend my golden years alone.

I kiss him on his bald head when I crawl into bed, earlier and earlier in the evenings; otherwise, he’ll fall asleep on the couch.

It’s fine.

I like to read, reassured by his presence next to me, his light rhythmic snoring. 

When I finish a chapter, I look over at him. His mouth is open, chin buried into the folds of his saggy neck. He’s pale in this light, hands laying lightly on his chest that rises and falls with his shallow breathing. 

I find myself crying. There’s no reason for it. We aren't promised anything more than this moment. There's no reason for me to cry.

Except when you marry an older man, you don’t realize that one day you’ll be married to an old man. 


Inevitably, the day comes. Far too soon. 

“No, he wasn’t my father,” I correct a nurse. “He was my husband.”


March 23, 2022 18:09

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

128 comments

Mike Panasitti
16:20 Mar 26, 2022

As the companion of an older romantic partner, the story gave me much to think about. Particularly, if there will come a time I don't want to fall asleep. This was a cautionary tale as well as a tale of hope and fortitude for me. Thank you.

Reply

19:36 Mar 26, 2022

You are such a deep and poignant thinker, Mike. I love hearing from you and reading your writing. I think any love story is a cautionary tale. Love makes us vulnerable, and in this life, we are vulnerable enough as it is! Loving another person is always an exercise in hope. And you are 100% right -- it takes a lot of courage and fortitude to risk everything to care for another. Wise words, my friend.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Jeannette Miller
15:48 Mar 26, 2022

I liked how you wove her perception into her reality and used a short word count to cover her entire marriage without leaving out the important details of her life. Well-written, caring, and relatable in many ways. Great job :) I'll have to check out more of your stories!

Reply

19:37 Mar 26, 2022

Thanks for the read, Jeannette -- welcome to Reedsy :) It's awesome here!!

Reply

Jeannette Miller
14:54 Mar 27, 2022

Thank you :) It is awesome here :)

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Felice Noelle
18:52 Mar 25, 2022

Deidra: I loved this. Reminds me of my most ever principal second father to me who always said: The only thing worse than being an old man is looking over and seeing you are married to an old woman. I agree on the high quality and deep depth of this story...very touching on a number of levels. I lost my first husband to his Psychosis and suicide attempts so I identify with your fear of loss. He's fortunate to have you. It's a beautiful love story. Something Sparks might write, but even better. Thanks for the story. Maureen

Reply

19:41 Mar 26, 2022

There is no better man than a good principal. I currently have one of the best -- I would walk into hell for him (which I seem to do most days at a public high school with almost 3000 kids.) This is not an autobiographical story, though I do have friends and relatives in May/December relationships. They are interesting dynamics to watch (from a distance), but to each his own!

Reply

Felice Noelle
19:54 Mar 26, 2022

Deidra: Sorry about the assumption that it was autobiographical, but it is actually a compliment because you did such an authentic personalized treatment to the relationship. Such a fine piece of writing. Oops, I must remember to use specific praise, or is the educational powers off of that concept in this new era? I've worked for three male principals and four female principals and unfortunately preferred the males as far as discipline support, and leadership. My ESE directors were usually male, and the last one was a best friend and we...

Reply

20:04 Mar 26, 2022

I have no idea what this new era finds objectionable or not. The goal posts are changed daily :) But let's be frank: female bosses suck. I don't know why there is always a rivalry. (And there is.) I'm off to read your story. So glad to see you on Reedsy! You are quickly becoming a favorite commenter :) :) :)

Reply

Felice Noelle
22:22 Mar 26, 2022

As a lifelong teacher (and parent) I am a cheerleader and big supporter. In groups, I was always appointed encourager and had to be Sunshine Committee Chair at every school I ever taught at. I hope it's okay to be welcoming and supportively enthusiastic on Reedsy. I know I felt out there alone in the first week or two. I always try to encourage them to read and learn from others...certainlynot from me. Not having guidelines or any rubric or such is a little iffy for me. Let me know if anything seems to overstep, ok? Thanks. Maureen ...

Reply

22:41 Mar 26, 2022

You are delightful and very supportive. Definitely pure sunshine :)

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Aeden Leighton
00:53 Mar 25, 2022

cool story!

Reply

19:42 Mar 26, 2022

cool comment :)

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Michael Regan
19:49 Mar 24, 2022

I couldn't help reading "Now in his early 70’s, my husband seems to age overnight. Exponentially so." and the ensuing list of ailments with out thinking - He is younger than me - why couldn't she have made him at least 80. 😍 Another great story.

Reply

19:45 Mar 26, 2022

I meant 70's in Celsius. He's really 158 (in Fahrenheit.) Trust me, Mr. Regan, we look good. I have decided to take the square root of my age. I'm actually 7.4 years old -- still playing hopscotch out front and eating Fruity Pebbles and watching Saturday morning cartoons :)

Reply

Michael Regan
21:02 Mar 27, 2022

I am not sure I would want to take the square root of my age knowing all the horrors of being a teenager still lay ahead. 😃

Reply

22:36 Mar 27, 2022

You make a good point…

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Jasey Lovegood
08:13 Mar 24, 2022

I think the way you portrayed this kind of love was captured really well, Deidra. But who am I kidding? Your work is always phenomenal. My favourite part was the connection between the start and the end. And "Except when you marry an older man, you don’t realize that one day you’ll be married to an old man." was probably my favourite line. Awesome read! ~ Jasey :)

Reply

11:46 Mar 24, 2022

Oh, I write a lot of trash. Thank goodness for the delete key. Thanks for the kind remarks. It's always fun to write romances in the spring, even May-December ones. In 1862, Emily Dickinson wrote, "The heart wants what it wants, or else it does not care."

Reply

Jasey Lovegood
12:25 Mar 24, 2022

Trash, you say? I almost don't believe you ;) Of course, they're all well deserved. I agree, but maybe I'm a little biased. Wise words, Emily Dickinson, wise words.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
RBE | We made a writing app for you (photo) | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.