0 comments

Fiction Fantasy Drama

(This story is set on the newly discovered planet Tellus, earth’s twin, younger by 800 years and evolving)

To tell you the Spark Story I have to begin by telling you about Tellus and Circa. Nature brings its seasons, heat in summer and cold in winter. If you were in the town of Ficoq on Tellus you would experience snowfall in winter. Natives prepare for it and so their dresses completely covered their bodies year round. Ficoq was fertile and produced a variety of fruits. From these were brewed different kinds of intoxicating liquor which were served in the tavern run by Circa, an elderly woman with a corpulent body, a florid face and greying hair. Hers was a gossip centre as she had many friends who would share their problems with her. One good thing about her was she didn’t allow the gossip to spoil the lives of the concerned. Circa not only owned the tavern, she also ran the inn next to it. It came to pass the happenings of the Spark story got wide publicity. I am coming to it:

That morning Circa was busy supervising the cleaning of the inn when a handsome young man with a bag over his shoulders arrived on horseback and dismounted. He greeted Circa and said “I’ve just arrived in Ficoq. May I stay at your inn?”

Circa asked“What’s your name?”

I’m Spark and own a farm. I’ve money and can give you an advance.”

“Looking at you I’m convinced that you’re a man of status and that I could trust you. I need no advance.”

“My horse needs to be fed and watered.”

“The ostler will take care of it.”She said pointing “That room has a bed packed with a lot of hay. It would be very comfortable.”

He nodded and said “It looks inviting.” He paused and said “My page Clip will arrive soon by coach. He will camp with me.”

She said “Sure. May I ask why you’ve come?”

“I’ve come to attend a wedding.”

She said “I can guess. You’ve come to attend Tanka’s wedding.”

“Right. I’m a suitor for Tanka’s sister Lunga.”

“Good. I’ve heard of the beauty of the sisters. You’re lucky. The women aren’t natives but are from our neighboring town.” She changed the topic and said “You can order your lunch and dinner when the cook contacts you. The tavern next door is also mine. There you could savour choice liqueurs brewed at home.  I now have housekeeping work to do.” She moved away.

Spark carrying his bag occupied the room and relaxed on the bed.

Sometime later, outside the inn, a young man carrying two bags arrived. Circa saw the man was very handsome and very young.

The man said “I’m Clap, Spark’s page.”

Circa stood studying the man. She thought that if it had been a woman, men would fight for her. Circa said “Spark told me about you. He’s in that room. You could join him.”

Spark noticed Clap coming in and asked “What took you so long?”

“The coach needed repairs on the way.”

“Come here and give me a massage. It was a new horse and shook me a lot.”

As she was nearing him, he said “I’m also sweaty. It would be better if I had a bath. You could massage me there.”

“Why not? I’ll find out the location of the bath.”

She went out and was back in a few moments. “The bath is in the rear. There is hot water.”

“Good. Here I come.”

Clap waited till he had stripped and then joined him. He said “There is pain in my hips in the back. Thump the area and then pour water.”

After a while He said “I really enjoyed the bath. You could also.....”

“No no! Not now.”

They went to his room and he started getting dressed when Clap came out. That was when Lunga arrived.

She said “Clap where is master?”

“He has finished his bath and is dressing.”

“I’ve just arrived. Let me go and see him.” Within herself she said “I wish that page boy were Spark. He is so handsome beating the master.”

Lunga went and sat with Spark. He kissed her warmly and she was conscious only of being handled by her lover. After only a few moments Clap came in and said “Master lunch is ready.”

Spark said “Lunga do join us.”

They had a sumptuous meal after which Spark was again alone with Lunga. He said “I want to be alone with you but that Clap is a disturbance. I’m going to tell him to get lost for a while when I’m in dalliance with you.”

“I welcome it! Do it.”

But in a few moments Clap was back. He said “Master, the coach will be here very soon. The coachman wants to leave early as there is fear of highwaymen.”

Spark said “Alright. Let’s get ready.”

*

Earlier a man arrived wearing a red bandana. He whispered to a forest brigand “Certain wealthy folk are travelling to a wedding. They’ll be carrying money and costly jewels. If the people could be restrained you could demand a ransom. Anyway their valuables will be with you.”

“I understand. You send the pigeon to me when the passengers are ready. I’ll take action after the coach crosses the thunderbolt hole.”

The man was referring to a point where a thunderbolt had struck, burnt a tree and made a deep hole in the ground.

Red bandana said “Master, what about my money for tipping you off?”

“Not now, may be later. You can go.”

*

The coach stood outside the inn and the passengers boarded. There were only four including the coachman. Clap was accommodated outside in the rear leaving Spark and Lunga inside. The coach travelled fast and Lunga said “Spark, we’ll be at the wedding site before time.”

Spark nodded and said “Your dad is a good organiser.”

As the coach proceeded, it came to a halt as a highwayman wearing a black face mask ordered it to stop. As the highwayman was looking inside the coach, the coach driver wearing a red bandana leapt down and disappeared.

The highwayman ordered the passengers to alight. Now Spark sought to pick up the knives and swords kept under the coach for protection in case of possible hostilities. But there were none. Only Clap could find a wooden spar for protection. The highwayman pulled out Spark and Lunga  after threatening them with a sword. Seeing Clap in the rear he was also downloaded. Clap had the foresight to carry the wooden spar and tried to attack the bandit.  But he was a man of formidable strength and assaulted Clap tearing his clothes. Clap’s upper garment was torn when Lunga noticed that Clap was a female. The attacker was spellbound looking at the bare anatomy of the female which emboldened Lunga. She used the spar which Clap had to throw away and hit the highwayman on the head felling him. Spark quickly bound the fallen attacker with a spare rope in the coach and loaded him in it. He now became the driver and they reached the wedding venue without any further incident.

They were welcomed by Lunga’s parents to whom Spark handed over the fallen attacker. He said “This fellow is the forest brigand Blight on whose head there is a big reward. After I hand him over to the national guard they would want to know who should be rewarded.”

Spark and Lunga said “It is Clap who got the wooden spar to knock this fellow down.”

“Where’s Clap?”

Lunga said “He, I mean she, will come in after dressing.”

The wedding took place on schedule and after dinner and drinks they all withdrew to the rooms assigned. Spark was left with Clap and Lunga.

Lunga said “Clap your name is Brenda but you cross-dressed and called yourself as Clap. Why?”

“I was in love with Spark and he also reciprocated. But you came in between. I didn’t want to reveal my identity and turned Clap. You liked me too as Clap.”

Lunga asked “Now what happens?”

Brenda said “Let us see if he can handle both of us at least consecutively.”

“If he fails, whoever was first with him marries him.”

“But who’s first?”

There was a toss but it was drawn. Lunga said “Let Brenda have her way first.”

Spark failed and Lunga withdrew. Brenda said “In fairness we should both be his wives.”

That was how Spark wedded both women when Circa was also invited. She would tell the SPARK STORY to all. It was said that she even told about the contest and laugh!

END

February 01, 2022 02:36

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.