Totally Ruined

Submitted into Contest #93 in response to: Set your story at a party that has gone horribly wrong.... view prompt

0 comments

Fiction Sad Drama

A Job Well Ruined

The sun was high in the sky, by the time the inspector called Ivy that she was allowed into the building. The building where she had spent the last month planning and plotting. She turned her car into the drive, got out and walked to the door. Not sure exactly what she would find, but she knew it was bad.

Ivy gasped as she walked it to the party room, or what was left of it. She had worked so hard, trying to make sure everything was perfect. Why couldn’t it be? Frustrated built inside of her as she looked around, blinking her eyes numerous times, hoping she would wake up from a bad dream. Nope this was real. All her hard work was simply ruined.

The party was supposed to be a charity event, Ivy was so thrilled when The famous Emily Harrison had asked her to plan it. Party planning was not her job, but her hobby, except now, she wasn’t so sure. Ivy slowly walked over to the podium, she had made a draped of gold and silver which now looked like paper plastered on the podium. She was just glad it hadn’t been wired to the microphone yet, because the damage cud have been worse. The chairs, were supposed to be wrapped in black with silver and gold sashes, Ivy wasn’t sure what they looked like now. She bit her lip to fight back the tears that threaten to fall, she could not cry, not here anyways, maybe later when she was home, but not now!

Ivy wasn’t sure how long she stood there when she finally took a step forward. She walked over to the center piece, the exact piece that took her a week to perfect. It was supped to be a water candle. She had ordered the tallest candle she could get her hands on. It was about a foot long, half way in the water that was held by a beautiful antique looking jar. Where had she gone wrong?, Ivy asked herself. She blinked back more tears and examined the center piece, or should she call it a water disaster. She was surprised only a few of the antique jars had been broken, so far she only saw five. The candles where to wet to spare, now laid floating in the jars. It was horrible!!

A half an hour later, Ivy was still standing in front of the center piece. She had given up the fight for her tears, which were now flowing down her face, and probably ruining her makeup but she was to upset to even care. She slowly started towards the kitchen where the whole mess had begun. There was some kind of fire, in the kitchen that led the fire department here. She honestly wasn’t sure what happened because after she heard it was ruined, she couldn’t focus on anything else her assistant was saying. The kitchen was a mess, full of water, and still lingering the smell of smoke.

Ivy stumbled out of the kitchen and found herself seated on a bench beside the door. She wiped her eyes and looked around again. The only thing that remained to be normal, was the sign she had painted on the wall herself. It read; ‘Welcome To The Charity Event Of Emily Harrison.’ Well at least something was still eye catching about this ruined, wet, party. Emily let her head fall into her lap and sobbed. Her frame shook as she let go of all the tears and anger she had been holding since getting here. Time past as her tears kept flowing.

Ivy wasn’t sure how long she had been crying, when she finally lifted her head. She grabbed her purse, took out a make up wipe, to remove the remain makeup. She knew she should probably get put of this place but she wanted to take one more look around, maybe it wouldn’t be as bad anymore. Ivy sighed, as she braced herself and got up from the bench. Her phone buzzed on her hand, made her pause. She gasped. It was Emily Harrison. Oh no what should she do? With shaking fingers she opened up Emily’s message. After a long moment of holding her breath, Ivy released it with a relief sigh and sat down on the bench again.  

Everything was going to be okay. Ivy assured herself. Emily had texted her she would like to meet up with her later today. The women was a kind soul, which made everything easier on Ivy’s end. She hoped she hadn’t let the women down. She tried her best, she really did. All she knew, it was a kitchen fire that and water that ruined this. She wasn’t the one to point fingers. Ivy knew it was a accident, but losing her hard work still hurt. It was probably a good thing she didn’t pick party planning for her job, it was obvious she could not handle the disappointment when a party failed.

Ivy was so lost in her thoughts, that she has forgotten where she was, but only for a second and then she was back looking around, wishing she it would have turned out differently. She didn’t have to worry about the cleanup because Emily had hired somebody to do that job. Her job was the planning and she obviously failed. Thinking of Emily snapped her out of her wool gathering. She wanted to go home and shower before meeting her. Ivy didn’t have to look at her face to know it was obvious she had cried. Wait, no she had sobbed, more likely. She took one last look around and started for the door. Ivy opened the door, as fresh air and sunshine greeted her, for deep down she knew this was her last planning party job. Ivy sighed, as she shut the door behind her and walked to her car. Now it was time to meet with Emily. She was actually looking forward to it, which surprised her., maybe crying her heart out had its purpose too.

May 12, 2021 19:53

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.