Beyond the Waiting Room: A Story of Healing and Discovery

Submitted into Contest #261 in response to: Write a story about a cynic who has been told to start a "gratitude journal," and does so — begrudgingly.... view prompt

2 comments

Contemporary Fiction Inspirational

This story contains themes or mentions of mental health issues.

The couch near the reception desk was as uncomfortable as she’d expected, a design flaw that seemed to mock her impatience. Mahima shifted restlessly, glancing at her phone and then at the hardcover book she had brought, both of which she had no real hope would make the wait any less tedious. She snorted at the thought of journaling, dismissing it as yet another overhyped self-help gimmick. The idea of jotting down her frustrations seemed as pointless as the clinic’s first-come, first-served policy. The air was an uninviting blend of dry and cold, adding to her discomfort and making her shiver. Each passing minute felt like an eternity, as if the universe was conspiring to stretch out her irritation.

Mahima had been waiting for over 30 minutes, her patience eroding with each tick of the clock. The sterile waiting room, with its hum of fluorescent lights, only amplified her growing sense of futility. The cold air seeping through her military green, short-sleeved cotton shirt and straight jeans heightened her discomfort and made her already urgent need for the restroom seem even more pressing. She tapped her foot against the wooden floor, the clinking metal of her bag’s strap echoing in the quiet room. The entire experience felt like a bad joke, with journaling—something she viewed as a pointless exercise in self-indulgence—seemingly representative of everything wrong with the situation.

At long last, the doctor appeared and disappeared down the corridor to a consulting room. The receptionist called Mahima’s name almost immediately. In her rush to gather her things, her bag fell to the floor, and her belongings scattered with a loud clatter.

Mahima’s face burned with embarrassment as all eyes in the waiting room turned to her. Hastily, she scooped up her items and hurried to the consulting room.

She knocked lightly on the door and entered without waiting for a response. “Hello, Dr. Patel,” she said breathlessly, trying to steady her voice.

Dr. Patel looked up from his desk, his warm smile easing her nerves. “Hello, Mahima. Please, have a seat.”

Mahima sat down, and Dr. Patel began by asking for her details—name, address, marital status—typing them into his laptop. Once he finished, he clasped his hands and looked at her intently. “So, what brings you here today?”

Mahima took a deep breath. “I haven’t had a period in two months and have been feeling very tired. Two weeks ago, I found a lump in my right breast, and it’s been uncomfortable. I’m worried it might be something serious.”

Dr. Patel’s expression turned serious but compassionate. “I understand. Let’s take a closer look. Could you please lie on the examination bed?”

Mahima moved to the bed in the corner, unclasped her bra, and pushed it up to her neck. She removed her shoes and glanced around for instructions. Dr. Patel gestured to one side of the bed. She lay down, lifted her t-shirt above her breasts, and stared at the ceiling, conscious of the bra digging into her neck.

Dr. Patel examined her left breast first, pressing gently and asking if she felt any pain. Mahima shook her head. When he moved to the right breast, it took a few presses to locate the lump.

After finishing the examination, Dr. Patel asked her to sit back down. As he washed his hands, Mahima got dressed and returned to the chair. “I’ll recommend an ultrasound to get a clearer picture,” he said, handing her a referral letter with a reassuring smile.

Mahima nodded, though a knot of worry tightened in her chest. “Should I be doing a mammogram?”

Dr. Patel shook his head gently. “At your age, 27, an ultrasound is more appropriate. We’ll start with that and proceed based on the results.”

Mahima left the clinic with a heavy heart, her mind racing with questions. The following days were a blur of Zoom meetings, consultations, ultrasounds, biopsies, and blood tests, leaving her little time to process her thoughts.

Nearly a week later, she received the final diagnosis: cancer. The news hit her like a tidal wave. Her face went pale, her eyes hollow with shock. Thoughts raced in her mind—why her? Why now?

Dr. Patel, now more familiar with Mahima’s personality, approached the situation with gentleness. He and her mother, Sonali, sat across from her. Sonali, a widowed mother who had tried to remain strong, squeezed Mahima’s hand, her own eyes betraying her internal struggle.

Dr. Patel took a deep breath. “Mahima, I know this is overwhelming. The biopsy results show early-stage breast cancer, which is highly treatable. But I also see how this news has affected you mentally. It’s crucial to take care of your mental health through this process. I recommend starting journaling and meditation. If you’d like, I can also connect you with a counselor who can help you through this.”

Mahima, her voice trembling, agreed to consult Annie, the recommended counselor. During their sessions, Annie suggested similar strategies—journaling and mindfulness—as well as therapy to help Mahima manage her anxiety and negative thoughts.

With each session, Mahima began to open up about her fears and frustrations. The gratitude journal, initially begrudgingly started, became a small but significant part of her healing process.

After a year of chemotherapy sessions, which were far from a walk in the park, with their own ups and downs, Mahima received the all-clear from her doctor. The moment she heard the news, she cried—not just from relief, but for the hours of frustration, the unwavering support and patience from her friends and family, and the new perspective she had gained.

As she stood on the other side of her treatment, Mahima realized that the journey had fundamentally changed her. The trials had stripped away her cynicism, revealing a resilience she hadn't known she possessed. Journaling, once an emblem of her skepticism, had become a vital tool in her recovery. It had helped her process her emotions and find gratitude in the midst of struggle. Looking back, Mahima saw that her initial disdain had given way to a deeper understanding of herself. The journey had been grueling, but it had led her to a place of acceptance and hope, where she could face the future with a renewed sense of strength and clarity.

July 31, 2024 06:50

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

2 comments

Brian Haddad
20:26 Aug 09, 2024

I am here via the critique circle. Overall, this is a very well-thought-out story. It feels grounded and real, full of rich detail that gives the story a life of its own. Some of the storytelling is slow and thoughtful, while other passages feel like pure exposition. I suppose the story doesn't really know whether it wants to be a recap of real events or an intimate, emotional exploration of a complex character arc. Overall, it is a nice story that would certainly be inspirational and motivational to many young people experiencing hardship...

Reply

05:03 Aug 17, 2024

Thank you for the feedback!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
RBE | Illustration — We made a writing app for you | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.