0 comments

Drama Fantasy Urban Fantasy

"Kjaa? You sound like an animal girl," she harshly judged him.

He? He just jumped away from the table, shouting, screaming. He completely burned his tongue on the overly hot tomato soup.

She laughed.

"If you are that angry, I will go home."

Right in front of his face, she waved at him.

"Oh, you are mute, not deaf," she poked fun of him as she opened the door.

Ronald looked furiously around the room. Usually, he is a time organizing freak, but he simply lost any positive feeling towards it. A heavily burned tongue is no child's play, okay? Angrily he moved around in his flat.

Cat? Feed.

Plants? Watered.

Mom? Texted.

Something missing? No.

To get the anger out of his system, he threw his bright yellow jacket on, his bright yellow sneakers, and left the flat.

The sun, the only thing as bright yellow as Ronald's average garment, threw its rays all over the city. A mild wind blew when Ronald entered the local park. He eyed his favorite bench and placed his warm - thanks, sun - body on it.

A shadow started to slowly cover his body.

Ronald looks up. A scream. People are running away. The now gigantic head of his primary flower threw a shadow all over his body. The people saw that, stopped, and pointed at him.

"That flashy guy over there? Of course, it would belong to such a disgrace. Yes, it belongs to him. Don't you see that? First, it attacked some random women, and now it cuddles with him."

The plant put her head close to Ronald's head with much care for his well-being. It is like it said, "I don't want to hurt you."

The man in question has so far been in shock. Yes, he loves his bright, swaggering clothes, but he likes, even more, a well-planned day. At this moment, he as well remembered why this is the case.

He pushed the head of the flower to the side. With his head leaving the defense structure behind, a bottle came directly in his face. Ronald opened his mouth and screamed.

"What did you expect? You didn't even say anything for your defense," someone in the crowd said.

Luckily the glass didn't break. Ronald stood up and walked a few feet in the direction of the crowd. He tried to talk to them, waved his arms around hysterically, but only nonsensical noises came out of his mouth.

"This guy is for sure an attentionwh*re. First, this flashy outfit, second this weird plant, and now pantomime movements," an elf of the crowd summed up his perception of Ronald.

Ronald increased his arms waving speed and forced himself to speak in coherent sentences. Sadly - for him - instead of "please, enough!" he was only able to get a "Ease! Nuff, Nuff!" out of his mouth.

An orc walked closer to him, anger painted all over this face.

"Are you insulting me as a primitive creature unworthy of real words? You are scum."

Escalating the problem only further, Ronald was only able to get out the same non-words as before.

The orc cursed at Ronald and pulled his ax, or at least he tried to. The crowd looked horrified when the ax hit the ground. Ronald starred at his flower. Once the orc tried to attack Ronald, it bit of a bit of his attacker. A bit, in this case, means his whole body. It crunched the orcs bone as if it were some green bonbon.

Everyone was in shock. Nobody moved.

"Monsters! Both of you! This will have consequences." Another orc said and started to run.

The flower shrank noteworthy and sat on the shoulder of Ronald.

He looked at her perplexed.

She looked perplexed at him.

He patted her head and tried to go back to his own flat.

To his surprise, he could move around the city without much issue. He guessed that his picture is everywhere, but it looked like nobody dares to attack the flower.

At least that was the case until he was in front of the building which housed his flat.

"Well, well, well," he could hear from a nearby car. Its doors opened, and one after another, a group of orcs pulled out of it. Another vehicle tried to open its door, but it was already too late. Ronald's flower had already grown back into his monster state and bit into the car. The whole front side of the vehicle was in its mouth, including the motor.

This orc grouped was just stunned beyond redemption. They remained in their car, one of them with the steering wheel in his hand, and gazed at the flower. Not a single muscle moved. Ronald waved at his flower, and he waved another time. After the second wave, the flower finally came back to him. Nonetheless, it stayed in its monster form.

"Well, this is a thing," one of the orcs who had already left their car judged the situation accurately.

"Indeed, this is a very thing," another one agreed.

The third turned to the other two.

"What is more honorable, running away and getting beaten at home or attacking them and get eaten?"

Silence.

If he could talk, he would have told them that they can go without being hunted by him. Sadly - for him - this wasn't something he could do, so he - once again - tried it with arms waving and something like speaking.

"This is exactly the thing that our brother complained about!" The second orc shouted. "This guy is f'cking with us!"

All three of them pulled their axes out. With their eyes fixed on the flower, they advanced slowly in Ronald's direction. Ronald put one of his hands on the shoulder of the flower. It increased the size of its leaves. One move with its leaves, and the wind blew the orcs against their car.

"Urg!"

"Arg!"

And silence was heard when they hit the ground. Ronald walked past them towards his flat. The flower followed him but couldn't keep itself from fixing her eyes on them while doing so.

Then he entered his room, his flower in his arm. He put her back into her pot. Ronald said something to her that could, under normal circumstances, be described as, "Thank you!" He pulled something from the shelf that is next to the pots. The very thing he forgot earlier to give to the plants. The label read, "Mindfulness in flour form. Keep your plants from acting crazy!"

May 28, 2021 19:58

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.