3 comments

General

Zia watched in awe at the dense fog gradually spreading across her lawn as if seeing it for the very first time. She sat snugly at a rocking chair with Ozzie, her Dachshund companion from the front of their veranda, who was an anniversary gift from her loving husband Tim. She fell in love with the puppy the moment it ran towards her with enthusiasm as Tim wrestled to unwrapped it. Ozzie belonged with them, she was their baby girl. She slowly rocked the chair, her arm around Ozzie as they watched the darkness envelope the yard. The wait was bearable with a grand prize, a cool night clouded with a fog. This specific wait was one of a kind.

“We were commanded to wait right at this spot girlie, at exactly this hour. I am just as confused about today’s orders as you are, but nonetheless excited about what’s coming. You know how Tim gets when it comes to surprises,” Zia chuckled as she stroked the dog’s head, kissing its wet nose. Ozzie growled as she snuggled closer to Zia. “What do you think it is this time, another baby? I hope not. You are still my only favorite baby and I doubt you’d be happy if our attention was given to someone else, right?” Ozzie yelped in agreement.

Tim overdid his surprises. Zia remembered the time he asked her to come downstairs at the parking lot in the morning. He had every colleague there with a board written "will you marry me" and flower petals everywhere. Zia was hysterical, in shock. She said yes in between sobs as champagne was popped and everyone cheering. This man would do anything for her, she believed that.

"While you do the watch and wait soldier, I’ll pour myself some wine and find you some snack. Don’t move.” Zia rushed to the house.

Zia had always been overwhelmed by the wonders of nature from a very tender age when she witnessed the sun setting on a rainy day, with a rainbow over it. She believed nothing could ever be spectacular and bombarded her parents with so many questions of why it rained, why was there rain, where did it come from, where does the sun vanish to and who colored the rainbow? Her inquisitive nature led her to the meteorology world, It was her passion. She mastered her classes with distinctions that after university graduation, she was immediately offered a job as one of the leading weather forecasters at only 22 years, a career she had set her heart to ever since she knew what she wanted to do in life and a workplace where she met Timothy, her husband. She believed the universe was in alignment with her, as it should. She worked hard to get here, even though her parents were well off and being an only child meant she would one day inherit everything. Zia was proud of everything she achieved, pursuing her dream while it was expected she joined the family business of fashion.

Her parents owned the fashion world, with their Stitch department store in every major city around South Africa. It was their dream. This cozy cottage, an adorable puppy, a thriving career and a husband who was devoted to her was a dream come true for her. She loved her life. Tim was made for her, and she knew the moment she laid eyes on him.

Tim was her senior weatherman. Tall, dark with a face of innocence that didn’t match his wild side. He made his move the first day he laid eyes on Zia, not giving her any chance to think about anything. Zia didn’t hesitate to give Timothy a chance.

Six months later after their romantic affair, Tim proposed against his father’s will who felt they were both still too young to get married, were completely strangers and haven’t yet lived their teen years or see life for themselves. To his disconcert, the young lovers got married, moved in together to create their future together. They were a humble, dream couple. Young with striking appearances and very successful.

Their story was a love at first sight, a beautiful love story that convinced Tim’s father, a bishop to loosen his reigns and bless their union. He saw firsthand how much his son loved Zia when she was hospitalized due to ulcers for a week. Tim’s world was shattered and he pleaded with his father to assist with prayers to help save Zia. The Bishop witnessed through his son the enormous love he had for Zia, he knew at that moment that they were meant to be together.

“Yip-yip!”

“Ozzie wait! Is it him?” Zia abruptly stood from their comfort chair and followed behind Ozzie who sprung to the main gate, disappearing into the fog. “You never listen to me girlie! And just so you know, you were just helping me to wait for my surprise. Tim is that you?’’ She called out to the sound of the gate opening.

“Yap-yap'', Ozzie's bark grew louder with viciousness through the dark and the bed of fog. “Ozzie come back right now!” Zia halted, her arms folded around her chest, a gesture she made when she felt uneasy. She slowly walked towards the gate as two men in black leather emerged through the dark, one carrying a silent Ozzie.

“I’m sorry, can I help you? My husband will be here at any moment. Ozzie come to me,” she held out her hands. “Ma’am we’ve put your dog to sleep, just for a while anyways until we are done here.” The short dark man with a scar on his left eye put Ozzie on the grass next to his feet and retrieved a Glock 18, pointing it to Zia's abdomen. “Now listen to me very carefully, Zia. I do not want any attention drawn to us, so no throwing tantrums around alright? Your dear husband who’s supposed to be here anytime soon is not coming. He sent us to kill you.”

The end.

July 10, 2020 19:41

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

3 comments

B H
04:29 Jul 16, 2020

A good story indeed.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Kate Enoch
13:30 Jul 16, 2020

Intriguing!

Reply

Rebecca Q
21:39 Jul 17, 2020

Thank you so much.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
RBE | We made a writing app for you (photo) | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.