1 comment

Romance Contemporary Happy

The Maple Street Cafe

The bell above the door jingled as Emma Thomas maneuvered her wheelchair into the café, a sanctuary filled with the rich aroma of freshly brewed coffee mingling with the sweet scent of pastries. Sofia, the ever-cheerful owner, greeted her with a welcoming smile.

“Good morning, Emma! The usual?” Sofia asked, already preparing the caramel latte and blueberry muffin.

Emma nodded, her fingers brushing the leather strap of her satchel, which was draped across her lap filled with sketchbooks and pencils. “Yes, please.”

She wheeled herself to her favorite corner, where the morning sun filtered through the clouds, casting a muted glow on her table. As she settled in, she glanced at the remaining raindrops from the storm that had passed over the city in the wee hours of the morning, her mind wandering to the cityscape she was sketching, across the street an older stately building had been destroyed by a fire and a new building was emerging in its place–a reflection of her own journey since the car accident that had left her in the wheelchair. Her former self was gone, but she was determined to see a new stronger version of herself emerge.

The café on Maple Street had become her haven, a place where she could immerse herself in her art and momentarily forget the challenges of her new reality. While she used her computer for work related drawings. She preferred her sketchpad and pencils when creating personal sketches. Feeling her pencil gliding effortlessly across the paper, capturing the essence of the morning light was therapeutic. It calmed her and took her mind off the chair.

A moment later, the bell above the door jingled again. Alex Carter entered. His presence, like the first brushstroke on a blank canvas, filled the room with a subtle energy. He ordered his usual black coffee and plain croissant, then took his seat at the opposite end of the café, near the door. The casual observer might think it the habit of a busy man. The optimal location so that he could leave the café quickly should he need to rush to a meeting or to meet a client. But the truth was it was the best spot to be able to covertly steal a glance at the beautiful woman at the rear of the café as she concentrated on her sketch pad.

Their eyes met briefly as he scanned the room, while waiting for his order. He had nodded to her before she quickly averted her gaze. He admired her from afar, too shy to strike up a conversation. Besides, what would he even say?

“Here you go, Emma.” Sofia placed the latte and muffin on the table, careful to keep it well away from the sketch pad. “How did physical therapy go this week?”

Emma banished the thoughts of Alex and beamed up at Sofia. “The doctor says I’m making tremendous progress.” She leaned over to whisper to Sofia, “I walked three steps using the bars this week!”

“Oh Emma! I am so proud of you.” Sofia stooped to give her a quick hug.

Emma blushed and glanced towards Alex to see if he had noticed. She hoped not. She didn’t want to bring attention to herself. She was just an artist in a wheelchair, and she was sure she would die if Alex looked up right now. He looked like someone with a successful career, judging by his tailored suits and polished shoes. He would probably think of her as silly, not someone serious like himself.

Sofia glanced over at Alex then smiled at Emma. “He’s quite handsome.” She gave her a conspiratorial wink before returning to the counter.

Emma felt her face turn even redder; she hoped Alex hadn’t heard Sofia.

But did look up, admiring Emma’s resilience and the serenity with which she carried herself. He had noticed her months ago, her wheelchair never defining her but complementing her strength and grace. He longed to talk to her, to know her story, to ask about her sketches, but he feared coming across as intrusive or patronizing.

Their silent ritual unfolded, each lost in their own world yet tethered by an unspoken connection. Emma’s pencil danced across the paper, capturing not just the rainy cityscape but also the emotions swirling within her. Alex sipped his coffee, stealing glances at the artist who had unconsciously become the highlight of his mornings.

Sofia delivered a warm croissant to Alex’s table, glancing over at Emma. “She’s very talented.”

“I’m sure she is.” Alex cleared his thought and tried hard not to look at Emma, feeling uncomfortable that he had been caught in his thoughts of her.

Sofia kept her tone casual. “She is such a sweet girl. I worry about her sometimes.”

Alex felt an unexpected rush of concern. “Why?”

“I worry she takes on too much.” Sofie softly tsked.

“What does she do?”

“She is an architect, and after the accident, well. I shouldn’t say anymore.” Sofia walked away, smiling to herself. She had suspected Alex and Emma were drawn to one another, the way they both stole glances when the other wasn’t looking. Today, she had been determined to confirm what she suspected and to nudge them in necessary.

Days turned into weeks, and their silent routine continued. They exchanged occasional glances, smiles that lingered a second too long, and polite nods, but nothing more. Each day, they left the café feeling both content with the silent companionship and frustrated with their own inability to approach the other.

Finally, the weeks of what seemed like cloudy weather broke. The sun shone brightly through the window, offering new hope at the possibilities of spring. Emma, lost in her sketch of flowers she had seen blooming in a window box that morning didn’t notice Alex when he entered the café. The warm weather seemed to have brought everyone out, the cafe was crowded and he feared there wouldn't be any seats available.

Sofie greeted him, “Such a beautiful day, I hear it will be warmer today and no rain.”

“Yes, I heard that, too.” Alex smiled paying for his coffee and croissant.

“I love spring, don’t you? It makes you think anything is possible. A new start.” She gave him a warm smile.

Alex thought about her words, ‘a new start’ he glanced over at Emma. Yes, that was what he was going to do today. While he wanted for Sofia to pour the coffee and plate the croissant he formulated a plan. Went over the words he had practiced at home. Today, he would have the courage to approach Emma.

"Here you go," Sofia smiled. "Such a wonderful day for a fresh start with fresh coffee." She gave him a knowing smile.

He carried his breakfast to Emma’s table, took a deep breath, “Excuse me, may I join you?”

He stood waiting for to acknowledge him, but she didn’t. His heart began to spiral slowly to his stomach. He cleared his throat.

“Excuse me.”

Emma looked up taken aback that Alex was standing at her table.

“I’m sorry, I didn’t hear you.” She tried to smile feeling embarrassed.

“You seemed deep in thought, I’m sorry to disturb you.”

“No, that is okay, what did you say?”

He nearly lost his nerve with her deep blue eyes stared deep into his soul, laying bare all his secrets. “I, uh, was wondering if I could join you this morning.” He looked around the room, "it's a bit crowded this morning."

Emma’s eyes widened in surprise and her mouth hung open for a moment before she realized she must looked like an idiot.

“Of course! Please, sit down.”

“Thank you.” He was careful not to slosh his coffee and damage her sketchbook before she could pull it away.

“It’s a beautiful morning, isn’t it?” He said cursing himself for talking about the weather. A lame attempt at conversation. But he didn’t know what else to say. She was even more beautiful up close.

He held his hand across the table, Alex Carter.”

“Emma Thomas,” she replied, her cheeks flushing slightly. “Nice to finally meet you.”

“Likewise,” Alex said, taking a seat across from her. “I’ve seen your sketches. They’re amazing.”

Emma’s blush deepened. “Thank you. I’ve noticed you too. You always seem so focused.”

Alex chuckled. “I guess I’m just good at hiding how distracted I am.”

They both laughed, the ice finally broken. Conversation flowed easily between them, from art to favorite books to shared dreams. The sun cast a warm glow across the table enveloping the two.

Sofia smiled with satisfaction happy to know the pair and finally realized what she had known all along.

When it was time to leave, Alex hesitated. “Would you like to grab dinner sometime?” he asked, hoping his voice didn’t betray his nervousness.

Emma’s heart raced. “I’d love that,” she said, her smile wide and genuine.

Alex held the door for Emma and for the first time, both felt the weight of their unspoken feelings lift. The café on Maple Street, with its comforting routine and familiar faces, had brought them together. And now, they were ready to take the next step, hand in hand, into the possibilities of tomorrow.

July 16, 2024 16:44

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

1 comment

Jennifer Luckett
15:55 Jul 25, 2024

Very light and sweet romantic story. I love the characters, the way you've portrayed their inner conflict, especially Alex's.

Reply

Show 0 replies
RBE | Illustration — We made a writing app for you | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.