1 comment

Bedtime Fantasy Horror

This story contains themes or mentions of physical violence, gore, or abuse.

It was so terribly cold. Snow was falling, and it was almost dark. The wind howled as it passed through the empty streets, making the snow dance in the air. The only sound that could be heard was the occasional snap of a branch or the crunch of snow underfoot.


In the center of the town stood an old, abandoned mansion. Its windows were boarded up, and the paint was peeling from the walls. The once-majestic structure was now nothing more than a shell of its former self, a forgotten relic of a bygone era.


However, despite its dilapidated appearance, there was something about the mansion that intrigued people. Some said that it was haunted by the ghosts of its former residents, while others whispered that it was the gateway to hell itself.


One night, a young woman named Sarah decided to explore the mansion. She had always been fascinated by the dark and mysterious, and she felt drawn to the mansion like a moth to a flame. She wrapped her coat tightly around her, pushed open the creaky front door, and stepped inside.


At first, everything was quiet and still. But then, she heard a sound that made her blood run cold. It was the sound of footsteps, coming from somewhere deep within the mansion. Sarah took a step back, her heart racing with fear.


She was about to turn and run back out the door when she heard a voice calling her name. It was a soft, whispery voice, filled with sadness and longing. Sarah took a deep breath and followed the voice, her heart pounding in her chest.


As she walked down the dimly lit hallway, the voice grew louder and more urgent. Suddenly, the walls around her began to shake, and the floor beneath her feet began to split apart. Sarah stumbled and fell, but she didn't let that stop her. She picked herself up and kept moving forward, determined to find the source of the voice.


At last, she came to a room at the end of the hallway. The door was slightly ajar, and the voice was coming from inside. Sarah pushed open the door and stepped inside.


What she saw there made her scream. The room was filled with ghosts, their ethereal forms writhing and twisting in the air. They were all reaching out to her, their eyes filled with terror and despair.


Sarah was about to turn and run, but then she heard the voice again. It was coming from the center of the room, where a figure was standing, shrouded in darkness.


She took a step forward, her heart racing with fear. Suddenly, the figure stepped forward into the light, revealing its true form. It was a demon, its skin black as coal and its eyes glowing with an otherworldly light.


Sarah tried to run, but the demon was too fast. It grabbed her with its razor-sharp claws and pulled her close. And then, with a voice that was both beautiful and terrifying, it spoke.


"You have come to this place seeking knowledge of the dark, but what you will find here is only death."


The demon opened its mouth wide, revealing rows of razor-sharp teeth. Sarah screamed as the demon lunged forward, its jaws closing in on her neck.


Suddenly, Sarah woke up with a start. She was back in her own bed, safe and sound. But she knew that what she had experienced was real, and that the mansion was a place of darkness and terror.


From that day forward, Sarah never ventured into the mansion again. But she never forgot the horrors that she had encountered there, and she warned others not to go near the place. For she knew

March 11, 2023 09:47

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

1 comment

Corey Melin
21:44 Mar 17, 2023

Quite the intense read. Very well done. It would have been nice to have more intense scenes in the mansion but limited time can shorten wonderful stories. Good read

Reply

Show 0 replies

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.