Bill finally gets his woman

Submitted into Contest #97 in response to: Start your story with an unexpected knock on a window.... view prompt

0 comments

American Happy Fiction

A you man in his twenties named Bill and is madly in love with a woman at work they both work at a factory. One night Bill sitting in his room watching television when a unexpected knock comes on his window. Bill does not remember telling anyone to knock on his window so he gets out of bed walks over to the window looking out.

No one is at his window so he walks back over to is bed lays back down thinking he was just hearing thing. Ten minutes later the knock comes again Bill is getting a little upset now walks over flings open the curtains. Lifts the window ready to yell at who ever is knocking on his window when Bill gets to the window again no one is there. Bill is really mad now he stretch’s out the window as far as he can to try looking around to see if he can see anyone.

He does not see anyone Bill comes back in the window shuts it but stands on the side of the window for when who ever is knocking on his window knock’s again so he can catch them. His plan works there is a knock at the window Bill whips the curtain open see the woman at the factory he is madly in love with standing at his window. She motions for him to open the window Bill does she climbs in his window they begin to talk.

Bill: ( What are you doing here?)

Mary: ( I wanted to see you and I did not have your number.)

Bill: ( Well I would have given it to you. I was just to afraid to talk to you.)

Mary: ( I know. That is why I came over Nancy told me how much you like me she also told me that you are shy.)

Bill: ( My sister in-law told you when?)

Mary: ( Three weeks ago.)

Mary: ( Nancy new that I was madly in love with you so she told me that if I did not come over here that she would kick my butt. I was really nervous that is why every time you opened the window I was not there. Plus Nancy was texting me the whole time she ended up video calling me saying that if I did not knock on your window and stand there she was going to drag me in here.)

Bill: ( Yeah that is Nancy for you.)

Bill and Mary talk all night they both looked at each other and decided they was going to date since they both liked each other so much. After they agree to date each other Mary wanted to know a little more about Bill so she asks him.

Mary: ( How long have you worked at the factory?)

Bill: ( Since I was eighteen. Speaking of I need to talk to the boss tomorrow)

Mary: ( Why?)

Bill: ( Because my hours are going down.)

Mary: ( Mine are to.)

Bill: ( You can stay the night if you want nothing funny is going to happen.)

Mary with a smile on her face.

Mary: ( Okay. I have a Kind of a big day tomorrow.)

Bill: ( Really. What do you have going on.)

Mary: ( Oh nothing to fancy just some family coming over I have not seen in a while. I may not even go I really do not want to see them we always end up arguing.)

Bill: ( I am not going to push you in to going . If you do not want to go you can always stay here away from them.)

Mary has a big smile on her face.

Mary: ( Hmm. Well I may just stay here then so I can greet my man when he come home from work.)

Bill: ( Okay that sound really good.)

Bill give Mary a kiss goodnight he turns out the light to get a little shut eye before he goes in to work.The next day Bill gets ready for work Mary is still asleep on the bed as Bill gets ready to walk out the bedroom door Mary looks at Bill and says.

Mary: ( No kiss goodbye for your girlfriend?)

Bill: ( I did not want to disturb you with you having a big day.)

Mary: ( Remember I am not going besides I do not care get over here and give me a kiss.)

Bill: ( Okay.)

Bill walks over giving Mary a kiss she lays back down and goes back to sleep Bill goes out and tells every one not to go in to his room because his girlfriend is sleeping. Every one is a little shocked because they did not know he had a girlfriend but they agree not to disturb her.

Bill goes off to work to catch his boss so he could talk to him about his hours to see why they are getting less and less. Bill gets to work just in time to see his boss going in to his office . Bill run’s up the stairs to his boss’s office before his boss got busy He knocked on the boss’s door the boss motioned for him to come in.

Bill: ( I need to talk to you.)

Boss: ( Okay come on in and have a seat Bill. What can I do for you?)

Bill: ( I have been working here ever since I was eighteen. But ever since I hit twenty two my hours have been going down hill. I would just like to know why?)

Boss: ( Bill it is not just you it is everyone’s hour’s that are being cut.)(sigh)( Bill I am sorry I was going to call a factory meeting before lunch to tell everyone.)

Bill’s boss looks down at his desk his boss’s shoulders slump down some and his boss starts to cry a little.

Bill: ( Hey boss what’s up? What has you all upset?)

Boss: ( Bill after forty five years the factory is closing it door’s for good.)

Bill: ( What? How can this be?)

Boss: ( Bill I am barely keeping my head above water. I had to make some cuts a lot of cuts I thought it would even out and I could keep the doors open but it just did not work.)

Bill: ( Oh crap.)

Boss: ( Yeah.)

Bill: ( I did not mean to come in here and pile on more problems. I was just wondering I had no idea.)

Boss: ( Since you was the first to come to me. I am going to give you the day to go find other work some where I will make it a sick day you will get paid for it.)

Bill: ( Boss you do not need to do that. I am just going to go to save you a little money I am going to quit.)

Boss: ( What are you going to do for work then?)

Bill: ( My family owns and runs a farm I will work for them till something come along.)

Boss: ( Okay good at least you have that to fall back on.)

Bill: ( Yeah it was nice working for you Boss.)

Boss: ( It was nice having you here. Good luck on your next journey.)

Bill: ( Thank you. You as well boss.)

Bill walks out of his Boss’s office one last time takes a look across the factory one last time looking at every one working. Bill shack’s his head then walks down the stairs to the time clock and clock’s out for the last time. He open’s the door to leave turns back one last time to take a final look at the factory and walks out.

Bill walks across the parking lot to his truck opens the door and gets in closes the door grabs the steering wheel. Takes in a deep breath and sigh’s he reach’s in to his pocket grabbing his cell phone to call home. As he get ready to dial he stops looks over at the restaurant he decides to get some take out before he calls home. Bill drives over and orders some late lunch then finds a empty parking spot and eats his hamburger and fries.

As Bill sits and eats he try’s to figure out how to tell his parents that the factory is closing. Does he come right out and tell them or lead up to it he was always told to just rip the band aid off fast less pain that way, so he will just come right out and say it. He finish’s up his lunch grabs his cell phone and dials home after a couple of rings his mom answers.

Mom: ( Hello.)

Bill: ( Hey mom.)

Mom: ( Bill? What are you doing calling? You are suppose to be working is everything okay?)

Bill: ( Mom I am fine just so you know.)

Mom: ( Then why are you calling get back to work.)

Bill: ( Mom I can not get back to work that is why I am calling.)

Mom: ( Did you get fired? I new this would happen with you and your mouth.)

Bill: ( Mom! I did not get fired thanks for the vote of confidence.)

Mom: ( Okay sorry. What happened then?)

Bill: ( Mom put me on speaker.)

Mom: ( Okay give me a second.)

Bills mom put the phone on speaker.

Mom: ( Okay there you go you are on speaker.)

Bill: ( Is Fred and Nancy and Mary awake? Can they hear me to?)

Mom: ( Fred and Nancy are in the shower Mary is sitting here talking with us having coffee.)

Bill: ( Get the two lover birds out of the shower they need to hear what I have to say.)

Mom: ( They are getting ready for their shift at the factory.)

Bill: ( Mom! Get them!)

Mom: ( Okay.)

Dad: ( Do not yell at your mom like that Bill.)

Bill: ( Sorry dad it is just majorly important.)

Bill’s mom goes to get Fred and Nancy out of the shower Bill hears arguing in the back round the bathroom door open. He hear all three of them talking as the come into the room with Bill’s mom.

Mom: ( Okay Bill we are all here what is the big news?)

Fred: ( Yeah man what is so important?)

Bill: ( Is every one sitting down if not get to sitting down.)

Mom: ( Yes we are all sitting.)

Bill: ( Okay here it is.)(Sigh)( I do not know how else to say this but it is like this Fred Nancy do not bother with going to work tonight.)

Fred: ( What why?)

Nancy: ( Yeah why not?)

Bill: ( Okay here it is the factory will be closing it’s doors for good.)

Fred: ( You know that is not funny.)

Bill: ( You may think I am joking. But I am not I just sat down with the Boss not thirty minutes ago. He was crying because after forty five year’s the door’s was closing and staying closed we had a nice long conversation about it. He was calling a meeting to tell everyone why do you think I am not at work I quit to come home and work on the farm till I found another job.)

Mom: ( Wow. You are serious. Did he say why he was closing the factory?)

Bill: ( He did not go into to much detail but he was saying something about money having to make cuts and it did not work. Plus his head was barely above water stuff like that.)

Bill drives home when he get there he shuts off his truck and begins working on the farm . His family in the house are going through the news paper looking for help wanted adds. As night falls everyone has had supper and they all go into their separate rooms talking. Bill layin in bed in his room watching television Mary walks in lays down next to Bill saying.

Mary: ( Look I know you are upset about the factory but what are we going to do.)

Bill: ( What do you mean? )

Mary: ( What I mean is for money.)

Bill: ( Do not worry you beautiful little head about that babe. First thing I am going to do after I feed the cows and horses is go to the next town over and find a place to work.)

Mary: ( Okay wake me up I am going with you.)

Bill : ( You do not not have to.)

Mary: ( I know I do not have to but I want to for my man.)

Bill: ( Okay.)

Mary with a smile on her face looks at Bill and says.

Mary: ( Now give your woman a kiss.)

Bill gives Mary a kiss.

Mary: ( Now lest get to sleep so we can go job hunting tomorrow.)

Bill and Mary shut the lights off and the television and go to sleep so when the sun rises they can go job hunting. Bill would not have his girlfriend if it was not for Nancy so if they get any good leads on jobs. Bill needs to let Fred and Nancy know about possible jobs they might find in the next town. 

June 10, 2021 19:02

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

RBE | We made a writing app for you (photo) | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.