Blue

Submitted into Contest #108 in response to: Write a story about a voyage on a boat.... view prompt

0 comments

Fantasy

BLUE

           When Blue was 15 years old her family decided to take a trip to Europe in the year 2018. Blue’s dad bought a boat and wanted to sail the thirteen to sixteen day trip on their own, being the professional boat man he was. It was early one August morning when they set out on their adventure. The weather was beautiful and was projected to stay that way for their whole trip. Blue felt a slight wind chill though as the boat started leaving the dock. Wind on her neck always made her uneasy and a lump formed in her throat. Wind can’t be tamed you see, so was that a sign that this voyage would be unordinary. Blue had to shake off this feeling and enjoy the time with her family. Blue was an Aquarius though, with the symbol of a water-bearer and the element of air. Maybe this is why she felt that the air spoke to her all the time. Her family always hated when she spat out her theories saying Aquarius suits her since she’s so unpredictable.

           The first week on the boat, everything was great. Blue’s little brother and her star gazed, told stories, played games, and even played kick ball on the boat which their parents didn’t really like. Sunday came though, and right as the week was about to end the news of a terrible storm heading their way was received over radio. Blues dad was irrationally trying to get the boat prepared. Suddenly there was nothing but silence. It was as every wave just froze and they were on a sheet of ice flying over it with their boat. That’s when they all saw a gigantic wave coming straight for them. They threw the two life boats over the side as pouring rain starting engulfing them. Blue had her father’s hand, but the wave hit to hard and his hand was lost. Blue went over board and fell in the deep blue sea. Screaming and crying she called for her parents and her brother. They had simply disappeared it seemed. Then the boat they were traveling simply burst into flames. The crash made smoke everywhere making it hard for Blue to see anything or tell what direction she was traveling. Blue started getting really tired and scared. She was freezing, but trying to stay calm and let the water guide her. All the sudden one of the life boats came into view. She swam to it and crawled aboard. The survival box her dad had set in them was all intact. What a miracle. A blanket was inside she wrapped around her. There was food and medicine also along with water. Blue hoped that her family had made it to the other life boat and were ok.

           A few days passed and Blue was getting worried if she would ever spot land or any signs of human life to save her. The emergency life box wouldn’t last forever. Suddenly the waves stopped again and void was all around her. Her eyes must be mistaken because it looked like a black whole was up ahead. Blue quickly took to oars and started trying to paddle away. It seemed no matter which direction she paddled though, the hole was unavoidable. As Blue approached the black hole she prayed and braced herself for the worse. The black hole then swallowed her and the life boat whole. To Blue’s surprise there was no long fall where she fell to her death. It was as she was softly lifted up with air cuddling her on all sides and safely placed at the bottom. Then something weird started happing. Blue started spinning up the sides until she was spit back out on the other side right back in the wavy ocean. Blue had to blink twice as the waves beat her life boat and pushed her in the direction of what looked like land. Blue felt her heart happy and excited of the fact she might survive and be reunited with her family.

           As Blue pulls up to the land she can see signs of life. The people look weird though. They were wearing weird clothing and she could see men with guns everywhere. She decided to pray to the wind to land her safely where she would attract no attention. For some reason Blue didn’t think being noticed in the live boat wearing the cloths she had on would be a good idea. As she got out she hide behind some big rocks and some debris left from a crashed ship. An old women appeared handed her some clothing and told her she was special. The Earth Gods have chosen her and to pay attention to the five elements of water, air, fire, earth, and void. She told her water and air had already pushed her to the correct destination, now for her to let earth continue to be her map.

           With that the old lady was gone. Blue was more confused than ever. She quickly changed cloths and hid the life boat and her modern clothing. What year was she in? As she started walking gun shots and loud bombs were going off on all sides of her. Then something weird happen a gopher popped out and licked her feet then started digging a tunnel and going away from her. Blue decided to follow. The gopher led her into the city and then suddenly stopped at a doorstep. Blue thought to herself, I guess I should knock. A little old man opened the door, pulled her inside, and then instructed her to have a seat. You must go home and tell people of what you’ve learned. Do you know what you have learned? Blue was confused and interested all at the same time. The Earth’s elements want to be treated kindly and they will speak to you and be kind to all humans forever more. People are neglecting the magic of the Earth and all its beauty. Blue you were picked so that you can help others listen to the Earths calls. Your name is Blue like the sky and all its mystery. Help people believe and cherish the Earth so less destruction will come.

           With that Blue is back boarding the boat as if her and her family haven’t even left. She knew she had to stop them or they would all die out in the sea. They had been giving a second chance at life. Blue was going to use it and save the planet for future generations to come. She jumped out of the boat and insisted her dad listen. Her family had no choice but to cancel the trip to deal with Blue. They might have been angry, but as soon as they all got off the boat the wind picked up and gave away from the earth. As soon as the boat was at a safe distance it blew up and lit on fire. Nobody said a word. They just all hugged Blue, which made her smile. She had a feeling they would never question her again.

August 24, 2021 19:47

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.