4 comments

Mystery

One day I was walking down the street of New York and I saw someone who was walking behind me for a long time. I got scared so I went into a store for awhile. After an hour or two I went back outside and there was the strange man still walking behind me. By that time I called the police. I was so freaked out. when the police showed up the man was gone.


The man had dark brown hair and looked maybe in his early 50’s. When I got home I sat on my bed until I heard a knock on the door. when I opened the door it was the same man and he asked to come in but I didn’t let him in I shut the door locked it and called the police. When the police came to the door the man was gone again its like he didn’t want to be found. I was very curious to why he wanted to come in what if he needed to tell me something important. I was up all night thinking about it.


The next day when I was walking to work I didn’t see the man he was gone. When I was working the cash register the man walked into the building and asked if he could talk to me. When I walked outside with him he was going off about how I’m his long lost daughter. I just thought he was drunk and had lost his mind. Then I told him to leave and don’t come back. But I knew for a fact that he wasn’t my father because my father passed away right after I was born at least that’s what my mother had said. After awhile of thinking I thought about how my mother had said my father was dead but what if he wasn’t what if she’s been lying to me for 22 years. I was so confused so after my work I called and asked my mother about it she said that my father was dead but it all doesn’t add up.


The next day I went to my mom’s house and I knew she was at work so I went up to the attic to look around for any answers. after 3 hours of looking through boxes I was on the last one and it was my mothers high school year books. When I looked through the year books I came across a photo that was circled and the name was Jonathan brown. I took that year book back to my apartment and googled his name. After looking at the pictures it looked exactly like the man who was following me. But I just kept thinking why know why that day after 22 years why not before? But what if my mother was keeping him away from me. I needed more answers. After gathering all of my information I went back to my mothers house and confronted her. When I confronted her she said “there’s just some things you don’t need to know.” I said I’m 22 years old I’m capable of knowing things. But she said nothing.



I just wanted answers. The next day I went looking for the man but I couldn’t find him anywhere. Yesterday when I googled him I saw a number so I looked it up again. when I dialed the number no one picked up so I left a message and said meet me at Little Collins Cafe on Lexington Avenue. 


I waited at the cafe for over an hour until finally he showed up. I asked him a lot of question and turns out he is my real father he had my DNA and it matched his exactly. But I was mad because he never came around when I was a kid. I asked him why and he said that he never knew my mom had a baby. He said that it all happened in the last year of high school and my mom never told him about me until a couple of days ago when he found out.


I was so mad at my mom for not telling me that my father was still alive. I kept questioning why my mother wouldn’t tell me. The next day I went back to my mom’s house and I walked in and everything was either broken or gone. I called the cops and when they got here they said nothing was missing but they had no way of telling where my mother was. I was so scared and I felt so bad because the last time I saw my mom we were in a fight and that could have been the last time I saw her. I just wanted my mom. I called my dad and told him what happened and he came over right away. When the police searched the house for finger prints there wasn’t anyone’s finger prints not even my mothers its like she never even lived here. It was terrifying but something about my dad was off he was being weird. I know I haven’t known him long but I know when someone is hiding something.


I was getting suspicious of my dad. When I was at my moms house before, she didn’t tell me what happened maybe she was trying to protect me from him. But before I thought why, but know maybe it’s because he’s a bad person. WHAT IF HES THE ONE WHO TOOK MY MOM!! But why? I didn’t understand why would he take her but then I thought what if she found out something she shouldn’t have? What if she found something out that my dad did and he found out and took her. I felt like I was on to something big.


The next day the police called me and said they found my mom and that she had been stabbed!!! I quickly drove over to the police station and I was crying so hard I never got to say goodbye.When I got to the police station they showed a picture to me and they asked if I knew who he was and I said that’s my dad and they said that he was the one who stabbed my mom. They asked me if I knew where he was and I said no.


I kept on thinking why? why would he kill her out of everyone? what was so bad that she found out? 


That night I was on the internet looking through all my dads files and I came across a file that was password locked. I ended up getting through the password and I found out what I’m pretty sure my mother found it was bad but when I turned around there was my dad and he stabbed me right through my heart.


No one will ever find out what my father really did….

April 14, 2020 04:03

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

4 comments

19:25 Jun 04, 2020

Oh my gosh!!! I am breathtaken!!! This story in its entirety is purely immaculate and the plot is so amazing and smooth this could easily become a world wide best seller!!!! 😍😍😍😍

Reply

Mary Donahue
19:27 Jun 04, 2020

omg thank you so much that means the world to me!!!😃

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Marc Hayot
23:44 Apr 22, 2020

Okay that was an ending!!! At first I thought the reveal was kind of anticlimactic but it did work well with the rest of the story. I do wonder how she got a hold of her dad's files and how her dad got into her home. Wouldn't she have heard the noise of him breaking in? Or did he have a key? Other than that I thought it was a good story.

Reply

Mary Donahue
03:09 May 02, 2020

thanks!!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.