17 comments

Adventure Fiction American

“GET INSIDE!” Jack could hear Ben, the chopper pilot, yelling over the incessant whuppa whuppa whuppa of the blades as he leaned out of the opening of the medevac so far he was more out than in, but he had to get the shot. It was his job. As they approached the ground and the dust flew everywhere, a bullet went right through Jack’s hat. The force of the bullet ripped it right off his head. Even so, it didn’t alter his approach to his work. When he was working, he used the camera lens as his eyes and today what he saw through that lens was absolute carnage under a dusty haze, which made it look like a dream. Or, rather, a nightmare. He continued snapping pictures as one man after another was dragged, carried or ran out of the jungle toward the chopper. Soldiers were running backwards shooting their guns, providing cover for the troops who were being carried or were too bloody and disoriented to protect themselves from the gunfire bombarding them as they made their way to the chopper. Jack shot it all as one by one they were loaded into the medevac. Once everyone was in, the pilot pulled the chopper up and flew back to base to the deafening sounds of whuppa whuppa whuppa and missiles whizzing by barely missing them. As they flew over the jungle of Vietnam back to the relative safety of the base, Jack thought to himself how beautiful it looked from far above and how unnecessary this all was. Once landed, the pilot jumped out of the chopper, and in a rage ran around to the other side yanking Jack’s shoulder back to stop him as he was walking toward triage. He could feel a trickle of blood running down his head from where the bullet grazed him. 


“Who the hell do you think you are? You arrogant jackass. I personally don’t give a shit if anything happens to you, but I’m the one that’s gonna catch hell if you don’t make it back. You can ride along with me, because I have no choice but when you hang out of the chopper like you just did back there, I can’t make quick movements because you’ll fall out! And that limits how I fly, and I can’t have that. I need to be able to maneuver to avoid incoming fire. I need to focus on getting those boys out of that god-forsaken jungle. If you make that one ounce more difficult for me I will push you out myself, and I won’t come back for you. Do you hear me? This may be a game for you, but it’s life and death for us.” Ben pushed him aside and walked away from him. Jack was shocked and ashamed of himself and realized that what he does here may put someone else in danger. He grew up a little that day. It was 1974 and the war would soon be over but he was only a 22-year-old kid fresh out of journalism school trying to make a name for himself.


From that point on, he was aware of everything he did and everyone around him so that he didn’t get in the way or cause any problems. He got amazing pictures of an untenable war that were sent through the AP wire and were picked up in papers all over the world. Those pictures made him the most famous photojournalist of his time. Beautiful, ugly, haunting images of a war nobody understood and fewer and fewer people wanted. 


After that, he was sent on assignments all over the world. He covered wars, civil unrest, political coups in every far off corner of the globe and drug cartel activity that decimated small border towns, and he risked his life every day to bring the truth to people.


His coworkers and other correspondents called him a badass, but he didn’t think of himself as particularly brave. The people he was shooting were the brave ones, and he tried to convey that through his photography. 


He had a life filled with risk and danger for over a decade but then he met a woman in one of those war-torn countries and fell in love. He brought her home, married her and they started a family. She never asked him to stop going on assignments but as the years went by and kids got older, the lure of getting that picture that perfectly encapsulated a moment in time began to be less important to him than Davey’s baseball game or Beth’s ballet recital. He decided to leave the dangers of photojournalism behind him, and he opened a photography studio in town.


You'd think that it would be easy, but it was hard. It was almost harder than dodging bullets in some far off land. After a while though he got used to the quiet and while he missed the adventure and even the danger to a degree, he did enjoy shooting the happy events of people’s lives. And he loved being able to be home with his wife and kids and soon no one remembered, not even himself half the time, that he used to be a badass who hung out of medevac choppers in Vietnam. 


*****


“Papa, what are these?” Jake called out to his grandfather from the other room. “I don’t know, Jake. What are you looking at?” replied Jack as he walked toward the back bedroom where his grandson was. Jack was old now and walked with the help of a cane and hadn't taken any pictures of anything other than his family for a long time.


“These pictures. Why do you have all these pictures of protests and soldiers,” asked Jake. As Jack walked into the room, he saw that Jake had taken all the pictures out of the closet and the Pulitzer Prize he had won for his photo series on Vietnam. As he looked at his grandson, who he knew only saw him as an old man who never did anything very exciting, he decided to finally talk about what he did when he was young. 


“You know, Jake, I didn't always walk with a cane and need bifocals to see. I was young once, if you can believe it." Jake looked at him like he knew it had to be true but wasn't quite sure. "There’s more to me than the worn out old man you see when you look at me," said Jack with a smile and a distant look in his eyes. "It’s kind of funny that your mom is so protective now that she doesn't even like me using the stove without someone being here but there was a time when I was a little wild, kind of crazy, and went on lots of adventures,” said Jack as his grandson listened intently to story after incredible story.

April 01, 2024 19:02

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

17 comments

Helen A Smith
07:22 Apr 19, 2024

An engrossing and lifelike story. Well written.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Maria Sardi
23:05 Apr 08, 2024

This is an interesting and very believable life story written in an easy-to-read style without complicated figures of speech. Nice prose.

Reply

Annie Hewitt
23:25 Apr 08, 2024

Thank you so much for taking the time to read and give feedback to my story. I appreciate it so much. I like straightforward prose. No need to explain something in five sentences when it can be explained in one (hee hee)

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
09:23 Apr 08, 2024

Your story reminded me of 'The Deer Hunter' at the beginning and then it became one about an avid photographer. Engrossing story. I like the way you talked about Jack in his old age. Reminds all of us that our older loved ones have often lived incredible lives and accomplished great things. We take it all for granted at times. A point about dialogue. There is a real art to making dialogue like an everyday conversation. It can never be this because there is so much story, backstory, description, characterization etc. that needs to be conveye...

Reply

Show 0 replies
22:57 Apr 06, 2024

Thanks for your story Annie. A few notes: 1. "Jack was shocked and ashamed of himself..." You have a new character speaking/thinking at this point. Therefore it should be in a new paragraph. Additionally - he was shocked and ashamed of himself? Presumably his first reaction would not be shock/shame, but defensiveness. "Hey, mate, you do your job, and I'll do mine. Good quality photos might actually be part of getting this war stopped. Guess you didn't consider that, did you!? And if it was so important to you, the onus was on you to...

Reply

Annie Hewitt
02:04 Apr 07, 2024

Thank you so much for your thoughtful examination of my story. It is very in-depth and helpful, and I really appreciate you taking the time to give me some input. My writing process is to get a whole lot down initially and then edit extraneous stuff out. I’m pretty ruthless in my editing and whole sections get rewritten or removed entirely because I don’t care for extra words for the sake of extra words, and I can see I may have been a touch too ruthless in this story. This is literally my fifth story I’ve ever written so I’m just getting in...

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Mary Bendickson
04:10 Apr 05, 2024

Risky business!🙃 But what memories.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Shelli Carbone
14:36 Apr 04, 2024

Need a ‘Love’ option!

Reply

Annie Hewitt
14:40 Apr 04, 2024

That's so sweet!! I appreciate that more than you can imagine!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
08:53 Apr 03, 2024

Beautiful story!

Reply

Annie Hewitt
15:03 Apr 03, 2024

Thanks so much, Melissa!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Darvico Ulmeli
17:29 Apr 02, 2024

So true emotions in this story. I like it very much.

Reply

Annie Hewitt
22:35 Apr 02, 2024

Thank you so much, Darvico. I appreciate you taking the time to read it.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Alexis Araneta
14:48 Apr 02, 2024

Oooh ! Lovely story, Annie. Indeed, journalists and photographers are important in informing the world. Funnily enough, one of my story ideas for this week involved a photojournalist who chose to stay in this lifestyle over love (Perhaps, for another week). Great job !

Reply

Annie Hewitt
15:09 Apr 02, 2024

I'm so glad you liked it. I can't wait to read yours!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Ty Warmbrodt
20:53 Apr 01, 2024

Beautiful story, Annie. It was a great idea to use a photo journalist covering the Vietnam War for the prompt but I also like the look into the aging man after his career has ended. great job.

Reply

Annie Hewitt
21:49 Apr 01, 2024

Thank you so much, Ty! I appreciate the feedback

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.