1 comment

Mystery

The Man from Our Past


“Evan… you have to trust me. You're in grave danger!” Her voice was tense. 

“If you want my autograph, you can get it later. I’m busy.” I coldly replied.

         I thought she was my friend, why would she try to scare me like this? Oh how blinded I was with ignorance. I should’ve believed her, but it was too late. 


______________


“Yo, look how many likes you have on your Instagram picture.” 

“Let me see.” My best friend, Andre, showed me his phone and I saw that there were already 250 likes on a selfie I posted 10 minutes ago. 

“Wow. My best friend really is a “social media star”. After laughing at how crazy the thought was, I disagreed with him but I couldn’t help but smile about how it might just be a possibility. 

“Alright Andre. Get up and let’s get back to school. Our free period is almost over.” 


We headed to the car to get ready to leave. When I was backing out of the driveway, I looked in the rearview mirror and I saw a man standing on the other side of the street. I lightly pressed the brake and Andre looked at me asking what was wrong. I told him to look in the side mirror and he saw the man as well, but this time he was looking away. Andre and I turned our heads and gave each other a weird look. Andre broke the silence and said, “Umm… just start driving Evan, before this guy decides to make a move.” I nodded my head, completely backed out of the driveway, and drove us back to school. I parked the car in my usual spot, but before we exited I told Andre, “Hey, let’s just pretend that didn’t happen okay?” “You don’t have to tell me twice. Consider it forgotten, my man.” I chuckled and put my hand out for a handshake, and we walked onto the campus. 

*the last school bell of the day rings* 

“Alright schools over!” Andre exclaims as we walk out of our ASB class. 

“Yeah over for the day,” I reply back with a smirk.

“Hey, i’ll take it! Alright man, I’ll see you later. Have a great rest of your day and tell Momma Turner that I said hi!” 

“For sure Andre! See ya.” 

I headed to my locker to get my textbooks and as I was walking there, this girl kept glancing back at me. I thought it was quite weird at first but as I got closer she looked pretty cute. As I was getting the things I needed out of my locker, I noticed that she was still glancing back at me. Therefore, I gathered up the courage and walked over to her. I leaned against the locker closest to her, looked at her, and said, “Hi,the name is Evan. So i’ve noticed that you’ve been giving me glances.” She just looked at  me and went back to rummaging through her locker. However, I tried one more time. “If I had a penny for every time I thought of you-”

“‘You’d have one cent because I've been on your mind.’ Very original Evan. I know who you are.” 

I laughed nervously but I knew that I had to keep the confidence going, because to be completely honest, she’s pretty cute. “Of course you know who I am. Who wouldn’t?” I said with a smirk. She rolled her eyes and walked away after closing her locker. 

She turned around and said,“If I were you, I'd be careful. I’ve seen the people who like your pictures that you are constantly posting.” 

“So you’re stalking me now? Is that why you’ve been glancing at me?” I replied back with a smile. 

“Don’t flatter yourself Evan and I'm not stalking you. If anything, i’m trying to help you.”

“Mhmm ssureeeee… it was nice meeting you, my stalker.” 

She rolled her eyes again and continued to walk. “The name’s Amelia!” 

I smiled as I watched her walk away. 

Once she was out of sight, I walked out to the parking lot and headed to my car. For some odd reason, I got the feeling that someone was watching me so I slyly scanned the area; and there he was again. It was the man who Andre and I saw when I was backing out of my drive-way. This time I was quite afraid so I rushed into my car and drove away as quickly as I could. As I was driving, I looked at my mirrors and I could see that he was looking at my car and watching it everywhere I turned. I was so terrified that the hairs on the back of my neck and on my arms were standing up. As soon as he was out of my view and I was out of his, I started to calm down. Suddenly, Amelia popped in my head and I couldn't get her out of it. I arrived at my house and despite the stranger I repeatedly saw, Amelia was still the main topic in my head. Therefore, I decided to go for a walk in hopes that this girl wouldn’t be in my head anymore. 


______________


Throughout my walk I kept thinking about how much of a jerk I probably sounded like when I was trying to talk to her, and I instantly felt bad. I whispered to myself, “Stupid stupid stupid.” When I looked up I saw that I have already arrived at the cafe that was around my block. As usual, I took a picture of myself in front of the cafe and posted it. When I looked closely at the picture that I posted, I saw that there was a man in the back. I turned around and saw that it was the same man from before! I quickly walked inside and tried to compose as quickly as possible, but I guess it wasn’t quick enough because some of the people inside were looking at me; some were concerned but others were weirded out. I went up to the counter calmly as I could and asked for my usual. I received my drink, paid for it, and scanned the room for a place to sit when I noticed a familiar face. I smiled and walked over. She looked up at me and went back to working on her assignments. “Oh so we are doing this again?” I said with a smile. She rolled her eyes and I sighed. I just stood there until I finally said, “Look, i’ve been thinking about what I’ve said to you and I wanted to apologize for how I was acting and what I was saying to you at school. I usually don't act like that. I honestly don’t know what came over me.” Amelia didn’t say anything. I sighed again and turned around getting ready to leave. Amelia put her hand on my arm and told me to wait. “I forgive you. I’m sorry I’m being hard headed.” I turned around and smiled at her. She rolled her eyes but this time she had a smile on her face. I asked if I could sit with her for a while and she gestured towards the chair. Before we knew it, many hours passed by and the sun was already setting. I couldn’t believe I spent hours laughing and talking to a girl as beautiful as her. Amelia looked up and it looked like she saw a ghost because she turned slightly pale. She noticed that I was looking at her and she just smiled and pretended that nothing happened. She checked the time and she said that it was time for her to go home. Amelia kept talking and said, “Okay Evan, do you need a ride home or did you drive here?” 

“If it is okay with you, can you give him a ride home?” 

“My pleasure. Alright, let’s go” 

We walked out of the cafe and we were laughing up a storm until Amelia said something about how ignorant I was. I stopped walking and I argued with her. I guess what I said was hurtful because she just walked off. I called her name multiple times but she wouldn’t turn around. she Until finally she stopped in her tracks and turned around. She marched back towards me and said “Evan… you have to trust me. You're in grave danger!” Her voice was tense. 

“If you want my autograph, you can get it later. I’m busy.” I coldly replied.

I thought she was my friend, why would she try to scare me like this? Oh how blinded I was with ignorance. I should’ve believed her, but it was too late. 

She looked at me for a while and then said, “Of course you wouldn’t even try to understand. I’m sorry but you can find another way home.” Then Amelia walked away to her car and drove off. 


It wasn’t far until Amelia started to feel bad and ended up turning the car around. As she drove by the cafe to look for me, she saw that I wasn’t there in the same spot. Amelia drove around the corner and she noticed that there was a car parked on the side. As she drove closer, she saw that it looked like there was a man struggling to put an object in the car. Amelia squinted her eyes and she saw that the object was another human being! She instantly knew what was happening and got out of her car. Before she approached the scene, she picked up a stick and brought it with her. She hit the man with the stick on the head and helped me up before the man could gain consciousness. They rushed into the car and they saw the man starting to get back up. Amelia stepped on the gas and the man started chasing after them. Amelia screamed and I told her to hurry up in order to lose him. She started to take random turns and I’m guessing it was to make sure that he was following us anymore. Once I knew we lost him I turned to Amelia and started to freak out. “Amelia! What just happened?! I almost got kidnapped! You just hit a man! Why is this happening!? AhHhH!” 

“Evan.. please be quiet.” 

“How are you so calm right now!? Did I mention that I almost got kidnapped?!” 

“Evan. Please.” 

Right before I opened my mouth again, I saw Amelia’s hand on the steering wheel and I could see that she was shaking. I closed my mouth and waited till we were parked. I noticed that she was not taking me home but I didn’t dare to ask her. She parked in front of a house and we went through the backyard to go to a room. Throughout the silence, I was just trying to put things together and I’m guessing that this is her house. We got into her room and she asked if I needed anything. I freaked out again and yelled, “I NEED ANSWERS. WHAT ELSE AM I SUPPOSED TO NEED? WHY DOES HE KEEP FOLLOWING ME?!” 

“I’m sorry. You’re right. Okay, just sit down first please while I explain this to you. Alright, while we were hanging out at the cafe, I saw the man that was trying to kidnap you and I’ve seen him before.” 

“What do you mean?” 

“There was an incident that happened when I was younger and he did the same thing to me, and he succeeded.” She paused. “My family paid him a lot of money but he wouldn’t give me up. So I escaped. I thought that he was there for me but he didn’t follow me when he left.” She paused again and looked at me right in the eyes. “Wait did you say that he kept following you?”

“Yes, I saw him like 3 or 4 times already today. Once at my house. Another time at school. When I arrived at the cafe. And finally when he tried to kidnap me.” 

“WHY DIDN’T YOU MENTION ANYTHING? OR REPORT?” 

“I tried to not think much of it.” 

“Evan… call your mom right now.” 

I grabbed my phone and called my mom. “Hey Mom. I have to talk to you.” I explained to her the main events of what happened today. Once I finished, it just hit me. “Mom are you okay? You’re home right? All the doors are locked?” It took awhile for my mom to speak but she finally said, “Honey don’t worry about me. I am okay. I’m more worried about you. There’s something I should’ve told you a long time ago but I didn’t think I had to because it was all past us.” 

“Mom… what do you mean?” 

“I wasn’t quite honest about how your dad passed, because I was trying to protect you and honestly my head still hasn’t wrapped around what happened. But anyways that man who is following you is the one who killed your father.”

“... what?” 

“Your dad was trying to protect you and he ended up getting killed. I’m sorry I should’ve told you but I didn’t think he’d come back because we paid him off. I’m sorry.” 

“It’s okay Mom. I understand why you guys did what you did. But i’m coming home to make sure you’re okay.”

“No don’t you’re safer over there.”

“Mom don’t argue with me. I’ll see you in a bit. I love you.” Then I ended the call. “Alright Amelia, lets go.” 

“We are not going. Your mom is right, you are safer over here.” We argued back and forth until I finally said, “Amelia.” I grabbed her shoulders. “My mom is home alone and I have to make sure that she is okay and safe. Please.” 

“Okay we will go. Go head to the car, I’ll follow right after you.” 

As I walked out I noticed that Amelia grabbed something, but I didn’t dare to ask due to the gravity and urgency of the situation 

______________


As we were driving out of the neighborhood and onto the main road to head to my house, there was another car in our lane going the opposite way. Before we knew it, our cars collided. The car was spinning but all I could see was the scared look on Amelia’s face. All I wanted to do in that moment was to protect her, and make sure she was okay but I couldn’t even move. Once the car stopped moving, I saw Amelia instantly get up and get out of the car but I noticed that she was holding her side and it was all drenched in red. I got out of the car but the door was stuck. I kicked it off with all my might and when I got out I was lightheaded, but I had to make sure Amelia was safe. I got up and limped over to where the two figures were. Before I was able to reach them I saw one of them about to the other but fell to the ground instead. I noticed that it was Amelia. 

______________


I screamed her name and the other figure started walking towards me with something in its hand. Behind the manly figure, I saw Amelia slowly get back up. Then, I saw the man getting even closer to me. I didn’t know what to do but even if I did, I was so scared that I wasn't even able to move. Everything was happening so fast, I couldn’t keep up. I saw another glimpse of Amelia trying to run still with something in her hand. I turned my head and at that moment heard Amelia yelling, “Nooooo!!” Everything turned black. 

April 17, 2020 07:46

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

1 comment

Roshna Rusiniya
05:34 Apr 23, 2020

Nice read. Keep writing!

Reply

Show 0 replies
RBE | Illustrated Short Stories | 2024-06

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in Reedsy Studio. 100% free.