Tony Coyote and His Good Heart

Submitted into Contest #8 in response to: Write a story about an adventure on a shipwrecked island.... view prompt

0 comments

Adventure

      With the arrival of spring, Dad Coyote anxiously awaited the happy news.

"Why won't that door open already?" he wondered.

           When suddenly, he saw Grandma Coyote come out.

"Congratulations, there are twelve puppies," she said.

           Inside, Mama Coyote invited him to pass.

"Come meet our little pups," she said.

           Dad Coyote stepped in and kissed each of their pups.

"They are strong and healthy!" he exclaimed proudly.

           In a piggy bank, Dad Coyote had been putting in the coins that he got from work. He was waiting for when the pups became a little older and gave each of the twelve pups five coins.

"I want each of you to buy something useful."

           Everyone ran to the store. The first coyote bought very sharp claws. The second bought a very cute voice. The third bought speed. The fourth bought strength. The fifth bought resistance. Just like that, each pup bought something useful. The only one missing was Tony, the youngest of all the pups, who was walking to the store met with a shrew with a wounded leg. Tony told the shrew to climb onto his back.

"I'll take you to the doctor," Tony said.

           He paid for the treatment and ended up with having only one coin left.

           He walked back to the store, but it was closed. Only a small pawn shop was open. He

entered with his last coin and bought himself a good heart, hoping the heart would be useful.

           At home, they all showed what they had bought with their money, except for Tony.

"I bought a good heart, "said Tony Coyote.

"And why would a coyote want a good heart!?" all his siblings asked him.

"I do not know, but it was all I could buy with my last coin," Tony replied.

           All his siblings started to laugh at him while shouting, "Loser!"

           Mom and Dad were worried about Tony, believing that he could not make good decisions.

           The next day, the mayor of the forest asked for a meeting.

"I'm old and this forest needs a new mayor. We will have a competition. Anyone may enter."

           Dad Coyote entered 11 of his pups, when the mayor saw that one was missing, he asked.

"Don't you have twelve pups?"

"Yes, but Tony Coyote can't make good decisions," answered Dad.

"That is the reason for this test. Allow your pup to participate, then you will know if he can make good decisions or not," said the mayor.

           The pups departed on a boat to a lonely island and that was where the competition was held. Good communication skills, strength, and endurance were tested. All of the pups passed the competition. Now, the pups were in the finals. This last test would determine the essence of each one. The part that made each of them unique.

           The test was based on speed. They had reach the shore before the boat took off. If they did not reach the boat that would take them home, then they would stay on the island for three days and would have lost the competition. All the pups were in their starting positions and a raven, on the tip of a branch, gave the signal.


           The pups all ran until a rabbit had crossed their path. The pups ran the rabbit over. Tony Coyote, who was among the first, looked back and saw the poor rabbit lying on the floor.

           Now, he had a decision to make. He could continue to run towards the shore and win the competition or he could turn back and help the rabbit. His good heart made ​​the decision for him to turn back and help the rabbit. As he turned back, he heard his siblings shout, "Loser!" and laugh at him.

           Then, Tony regretted having bought a good heart. It only made ​​him seem like a loser; however, he continued until he arrived at where the rabbit was. Seeking some branches, to splint the rabbit's broken leg and began to build a roof to protect himself and the rabbit from the approaching storm. Then, he built a stretcher to pick up the rabbit and dragged it to where the boat, that would take them back to the great forest, would be.

           The rabbit grateful promised to help Tony if ever needed anything.

           On the third day, Tony took the rabbit on the stretcher and was dragging it all the way until he could see the sea and the boat approaching the shoreline. Tony fell into a very deep hole.


"Rabbit, throw me some branches!" Tony shouted.

           Then, the rabbit climbed off the stretcher and push it into the hole and Tony climbed up using it.

"Thank you, my friend! You saved my life," Tony said. "Get on my back, I'll take you to the boat."

           Upon reaching the great forest, Tony was received as the winner of the competition.

           

"And my siblings?" asked Tony.

"You're the first to arrive," answered the mayor.

           They returned to the island and found that every pup had fell down a hole had been there for three days. It was then, that Tony's siblings understood the importance of having a good heart.

September 22, 2019 00:00

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.