2 comments

Mystery

"Dear loved ones,

I have decided that when my untimely demise is to come, I want to make sure the right people get the right things. The right things.. a rather subjective term, isn't it? Being right itself, is a bit of a gray area. What does it mean to be righ- ah, I've started rambling, my apologies. Anywho, we can first start off with the house. I've come to a decision that may cause some- er, confusion. The house will go to nobody. It is mine and will be even as my corpse lay rotting six feet under. Oh! I'm sorry, that must've come off as irate or agitated, you see... I'm just a bit on edge. Nothing crazy or- oh! I'm doing it again.. Now, where were we? Right! The house, yes. It will remain in my possession. My butler, Ramone will continue to take care of it and watch over it. Now, onto the next thing- my money. Now, I know all of you were hoping on getting some fraction of it, but unfortunately none of you will be getting any of it. It will be going to a few select people outside of the family that will be gathered to the Manor shortly after my passing. For the last thing, an envelope with the deeds to my other properties and some- other.. things." The tape cut out for a moment and the same voice as before spoke again, "O-Now? Already? Ah, alright. It appears I must be going, if this is the last time we speak I wish you all the best and again, my apologies. Ramone will gather you all and explain more in depth soon. Salutations!"

This was the last anyone ever heard from Ms. Angelica, though to others she was known as many different things. Nana Angie and Angie are just a few other examples. That, however, is besides the point. The tape recording was sent to family members of hers, but they all arrived at different times from another. Some arrived after Angies death was announced, some came before, and unfortunately for one or two of them, they never came. Just two days after the first person got it, on Wednesday, November 3 of 1978, the devastating news that Angie had died was released into the papers. She was a popular old lady in her town, most everyone knew her. The kids loved her because of her delicious sugar cookies and the adults loved her because she took the kids off their hands whenever they needed. So, as you can imagine, once everyone received the news.. Well, it was a sad time.

The cause of death seemed normal, she had been suffering from a heart disease for roughly a year by then. Angie was also turning 83 that year, which had a part in the whole thing. Just three days after her passing 4 people that had little to nothing in common were sent private cars and were all picked up- well, most of them anyhow. Shortly thereafter they were dropped off at the Manor. They each received the same exact letter, which said;

"To whom it may concern,

Hello! I'm sure you must be very confused as to why you have gotten a letter, well I will gladly explain. My name is Angelica, but you, dearie, can call me Angie. I live in 2438, Camry Drive- just on the top of the hill in a town called Misteriosa. Now, I suppose I should get straight to the point. I'm dying and I have to pass on this information before I forget. Back when I had my first child, I moved to my current home. The reason being was the rumors that a ship had sunk in the sea, just one or two hours away, and in that ship was supposedly a map to jewels and gold. I was absolutely determined to get the map, but I wasn't the only one. There were others, some were part of groups and some were lone wolves like me. My husband, who has passed, was worried about me back then. I was obsessed with it, but I had to listen to him. So I stopped my hunt for a few years, but started back up 2 years after my second child was born, which was right around the time he passed. I needed something to distract me, and this was it. However, I had to give up again as one of my children got extremely sick and I had to pay very close attention to her. Years and years passed, until just a year ago around the time I was diagnosed with a heart condition. I wanted to make the most of my limited time so I gathered all the evidence and research I had come up with, and the only thing left was to find someone to pass this all on to. Why not my family? You might be asking. Well, this is a dangerous thing, I'm not gonna lie, and I couldn't bear getting them involved with it. So I looked for people that seem qualified in one way or another, and here we are. If you choose to come, my butler Ramone will explain everything further. Why you were chosen and such. In a few days time Ramone will send a private vehicle to your place of residence and from there you can either enter, or not. It's your choice. Goodbye."

Four people, all vastly different, received and listened to this tape. On the day of their possible arrival, only three actually showed up. Ramone was rather surprised, he figured none of them would, but he never actually told that to Angie. The huge wooden doors creaked open and in walked one of them. She was a tall, redhead. The chandelier above them made her hair look like fire. "Welcome! You must be-" He was cut off by her, "Alice, I'm Alice." Ramone nodded hesitantly and gestured towards the room near him, inside was two chairs and a couch that could seat three people. Alice chose a chair by the window, dripping could be heard from the sudden rain that had happened that day. Clouds blanketed the sky and the wind sounded like whispers ushering by your ear.

Just 10 minutes after Alice's arrival, number two arrived. This time it was a man, his face was solemn and his gaze straight ahead. "Oh! Mr. Daniel, it's lovely to meet you." Ramone stuck his hand out and Daniel shook it, "Nice to meet you too." He pursed his lips and walked to sit on the couch. Alice glanced at Daniel, he had short black hair and a light tan. She looked away as soon as Daniel noticed, though.

Shortly after that, the final person walked in. She had dark brown curls and pale skin, with freckles all over her face. The girl seemed to just give off friendly vibes, and she was indeed friendly. She nervously looked around and walked up to Ramone, "Hi! I-Im uhm, i'm Max." Ramone smiled politely at her and gestured to the sitting areas. Max analyzed the scene and chose to sit in the empty chair, she was surprised by how comfy it was.

"Hello! I'm Ramone. I'm going to be giving you all the research that I can, and just getting you guys more-erm, less clueless." He looked around to see their reactions, all of them appeared to be confused. Alice sat, leaning forward and fidgeting with her fingers. Daniel was alert and had his head tilted. And finally, Max was sitting patiently, waiting for what he was to say next. Then, Ramone spoke, "On the table behind me there is all the documents and papers and such that give you all the details Ms. Angie managed to obtain, they will help you greatly in your quest- that is, if you still wish to do it after all this." He paused for any questions, and then continue, "You will all be staying here for the time being, until you figure out your plan, then you are free to go execute it as long as you give me weekly updates or as often as you can. If you find the end items, or as many would call it, the treasure- then you are free to split it or divide it accordingly." He stopped talking and looked at them, waiting for someone else to speak. The silence was awkward, all of them avoided each others gaze. Daniel finally spoke, "Why us?" He questioned. Alice and Max glanced at him and then at Ramone, clearly waiting for an answer as well. "Ms. Angie looked for the best possible recruits, that meant determined, young, and full of hope." Ramone explained, raising his eyebrows and looking at the ground. It was a sad time for Ramone, he missed Angie dearly. They had been good friends for ages, ever since he became her butler, and now that she was gone- well, he had nobody.

Alice stood up abruptly and said, "I suppose it'd be fun." She stared at Ramone and the table behind him, this was all nerve racking to her, but what else could you do if you were offered a once in a life time chance? Quickly after that Max stood up and stepped forward, smiling and nodding her head. "I'll do it too!" All of them were now looking at Daniel- Ramone shrugged and said, "Well?" It was so quiet you could hear a pen drop, then, Daniel answered- "Well- I think I will, I- Yes! I will do it." They all walked towards the table- it was time to get to work!

September 05, 2020 00:01

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

2 comments

01:19 Sep 05, 2020

Woah, so creative! Great work!

Reply

River Russell
03:29 Sep 05, 2020

Thank you so much!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.