32 comments

Fiction Drama Sad

I spooned some classic orange marmalade from the Mason jar and heartily slathered the fruity jam on my homemade sourdough bread. Hmmn… Andrew’s favorite bite at his most favorite time of the day. The scent of tangy flavor permeating my kitchen’s air – ah – what would be a morning without the delightful taste of the pulpy citrus on my crispy bagel and a cup of black coffee to go with it?

With the cup in one hand and my heart on the other, I went out to the porch, tilting my head up to smile at the morning sun. I feel giddy like a teen. It’s just like the first day he asked me out – this feeling. I was sixteen in pigtails and horrible braces. He was my crush since grade school and I had to hold back my swooning or I’d wet my pants. A day after, I successfully swayed my mother, after a series of tossing on the bed and not eating my meals, of the swollen gums to ditch the braces and – oh well, cut my long brown hair stylish shoulder-length if I wanted to go steady with him. It was in midsummer when he kissed me, under Casamata’s mulberry tree, our love nest after school. I had my eyes open in awe the whole time that he had to laugh his own nervousness off and pinch my nose. His gesture turned me into a cat on a hot tin roof. “You taste like orange. Irresistible.” He whispered in my ear and these cheeks – scarlet tint against my bone cream skin and chestnut hair. And since then, we've never run out of oranges at home. That’s me contributing to the whole orange industry more than all the households in our village combined.

Orange became a staple ingredient in my kitchen – a must-have item to go fairly in recreating any run-of-the-mill kitchen relishes like chutneys and yogurt, to my very own version of holiday treats like my ultimate orange pie, orange dream bars, and winter salad handsomely squeezed with orange peel zest. That’s me full of the joys of spring for being Andrew’s housewife.

We married when I was nineteen and him, twenty-one. And today is our anniversary.

Last night I spent an hour painting my toenails red and shaving those strands of nasty hair off my legs. I must admit, they grow like hilo grass against the whiteness of my skin. Not that I’m whining. Even after sixteen years, I’m glad the goddess of beauty is still on my side.

I took a rather languorous bath after breakfast and spent another half an hour coiffing my hair into a really nice top knot bun. Andrew likes it when I put my hair up to expose the long, white side of my neck. And since I badly wanted to spruce up for the date, I decided to wear my red bodycon dress and I must say that it really cuts a dash. Looking in the mirror, I can say that I really pulled it off this time. Even after two kids, I surprisingly maintained my slim figure, thanks to my Chinese descent. I can imagine Andrew’s eyes shining their furtive tale when he sees me on this dress. His eyes, glued to mine. His lips brewing into a thin line with thoughts that I can only know of. He would stuff all his food into his mouth and swallow without chewing to drag the time. And I’d laugh out loud and wipe the crumbs off the corner of his tautened lips. And he would forget our tickets to the concert –oh – deliberately he would. We would head straight home early, lock the door in our room, and make sweet, sweet love like the first time.

Maya on the phone stopped in the middle of the conversation when she saw me. I gave her that “I know right” tip of my head and even pirouetted like a ballerina to give her a full view.

“Okay, you can close your mouth now. Toasts on the oven ready in three minutes. No coffee for you this time, sweetheart. And, oh - Kyle? No going out with the boys until your dad and I come home tonight, okay? Bye! Be back in two shakes of a lamb’s tail.”

Kyle averted his eyes from the TV and was up on his feet like he was struck by a lightning.

“Mom? Where are you going?” His brows - hidden by his fringe in surprise.

I rolled my eyes. “I’m not buying that look anymore, Kyle. This won’t do it this time.” How many times have they secretly planned to surprise me on special occasions but to no avail? I mean that is really sweet, father and children planning a surprise for the mom, but they always fail in the process. Kyle always gives away the unmistaken tipoff by either being too fidgety or asking a lot of questions. That kid can’t lie, nah.

I grabbed my purse and headed to the door.

“Mom, wait for a second!” Maya rushed to block my way out. “I think I need to tell you something – something important – uh, yes.” The way she stuttered her words was a bolt from the blue. But I have other things on my mind so…

“Can’t it wait, honey?” I pointed at my wristwatch, their dad’s gift. “I can’t keep your father waiting. You know, it’s only one day in a year that I get to wear my red dress and walk around on these high heels. Plus – I heard Annie’s are launching their beef tenderloins which I haven’t tasted for ages. So bye-bye, you two!”

“Yes! I mean – but I really need to speak with you for a while, Mom.” Maya was fidgeting her hands nervously. “Right, Kyle?”

I glanced at Kyle suspiciously but he only nodded.

“What did you do this time?” I shook my head at the two of them. “I guess it’s better if your dad hears it first tonight. I really have to go.”

“He can’t, Mom!” Kyle snapped.

“Stop it, Kyle.” Maya held her brother’s arm to stop him.

Suspicion began to rise like lava in my chest. “What do you mean he can’t, Kyle? And why did you stop him, Maya? What is it that you are keeping from me?”

“Mom, you can’t go---”

“Kyle---.”

“You mean at Annie’s? Why?” I suddenly felt the urge to scream at these two. “Stop talking in circles and tell me what the hell is going on.”

“---on like this.”

“If this is one of your games again, Kyle I swear to God--” I warned him. I am disappointed that he wanted to mess up this important moment. He knows how much this day means to me, doesn’t he? And then I stopped when I saw the tears in his eyes. I froze. I’ve seen this before. I’ve felt this before. Suppressed images began to come back into the light now. Andrew…

“I- I need to go see your dad.”

“Mom, he’s gone, all right? He’s not coming back. He can’t.” 


April 16, 2021 11:00

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

32 comments

Riya 🌺
20:10 Apr 19, 2021

At first, I didn't get it but now that I understand there are literally tears in my eyes! This was so sad!😭🤧😢

Reply

Gina Brioso
22:17 Apr 19, 2021

Thank you for liking my story. 😍

Reply

Riya 🌺
00:15 Apr 20, 2021

It was incredible! It deserved to be liked. Tragic, but beautiful.

Reply

Gina Brioso
00:52 Apr 20, 2021

Thank you. It's my mom's story, by the way. :( She loved three men in her lifetime. And they were all gone - one by death and the two left with other women.

Reply

Riya 🌺
03:49 Apr 20, 2021

Ohmygod! I didn't know! I'm so sorry to hear that. :( She deserved better. Your mom sounds like such an amazing person.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
00:46 Apr 24, 2021

It's heartbreaking. 💔 It hurts the most when you just lose the one you love without knowing the reason. 💔💔

Reply

Show 0 replies
Patrick H
20:47 Apr 21, 2021

Oh my... yeah that's tragic alright. It took me a bit to realize that he was gone.. Nicely done!

Reply

Gina Brioso
02:41 Apr 22, 2021

Thank you. :)

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Charlie Murphy
16:58 Apr 20, 2021

I don't understand what happened to the husband, but I guess it's left to interpretation. Anyway, your story is well written! =]

Reply

Gina Brioso
09:48 Apr 21, 2021

Yes. Is he dead? Or gone with another woman? Who knows? 😍😍

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Ramela Bides
02:04 Apr 20, 2021

This story is indeed worthwhile★★♥★★!! It made me realize many things and the twist really made me became more greatly astound with my upbeat granny♥. RESPECT♡!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Kim Kline
17:28 Apr 19, 2021

I really loved your line at the beginning: "With the cup in one hand and my heart on the other" <3

Reply

Gina Brioso
22:18 Apr 19, 2021

She is so hopeful. 😪

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Yael Bringas
03:35 Apr 19, 2021

The way she reminisce their past, and how the oranges became one of the important parts of her life. This is a great story but also has a painful ending.💗

Reply

Gina Brioso
22:21 Apr 19, 2021

Thanks for liking my story. 😍

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
03:30 Apr 19, 2021

The story was indeed incredible and thus the plot twist of it filled me with astonishment. It hurts so good, l love ittt!!😭♥️

Reply

Show 0 replies
Teresa Viste
02:59 Apr 19, 2021

This one was a breathtaking story🥺. The story is somehow painful but shows us what love is all about.. ❤️❤️

Reply

Show 0 replies
02:28 Apr 19, 2021

I was excited for their date knowing that the girl remembers every moment she shares with him and how well she expresses those memories to us. But why must you hurt us this way 😭

Reply

Gina Brioso
22:25 Apr 19, 2021

The date that never happens.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Keneth Seruno
02:17 Apr 19, 2021

It is so mesmerising and evocative. It is a great story. Kudos to the author for doing such a remarkable job with the atmosphere. 💖!

Reply

Gina Brioso
22:25 Apr 19, 2021

Thanks 😍

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Raelene Madriaga
02:15 Apr 19, 2021

Indeed, love really never dies🥺 what a painful story...💔

Reply

Show 0 replies
02:08 Apr 19, 2021

Honestly, I love this story. She really loved her husband. I might cry❤

Reply

Show 0 replies
01:56 Apr 19, 2021

🥺😭👏🏻

Reply

Show 0 replies
01:55 Apr 19, 2021

😭❤👏🏻👏🏻

Reply

Show 0 replies
01:49 Apr 19, 2021

👏👏👏

Reply

Show 0 replies
01:22 Apr 19, 2021

I just can't imagine me without my other half ...this is heartbreaking!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Jhayr Rodriguez
01:08 Apr 19, 2021

👍👍👍👍

Reply

Show 0 replies
Arianne Q.
00:53 Apr 19, 2021

She must've loved her husband too much that the trauma of losing him left only the good memories and forced herself to forget about him being gone. The plot's rather unexpected, great story! 💖

Reply

05:42 Apr 20, 2021

That is exactly what I was thinking, I just had trouble putting it into words. This was beautiful Gina, the atmosphere you instilled in this piece was truly a work of art.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Ligaya Quintos
00:27 Apr 19, 2021

😘😘😘😘❤

Reply

Show 0 replies

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.