Campfire gossip

Submitted into Contest #262 in response to: Center your story around an unexpected summer fling.... view prompt

0 comments

Coming of Age Romance Teens & Young Adult

An unexpected summer fling

Based on recent events (!)

I wouldn't say romance films were ever my go to, but this didn't stop me from watching the screen eagerly, watching and waiting on the edge of my seat for the couple to finally admit their feelings for one another. I would grab my sister's arm in relief when the conflict was resolved and they could finally be together, with one last kiss right before the credits.

I would say though that I do believe in love at first sight. I couldn't imagine anything more amazing then catching eyes with someone and instantly falling for them. However, I didn't think my love at first sight would begin with a vollyball.

It had been a long day of travelling, and after unpacking and setting up my tent along with all my friends, we sat together by the campfire. A large game of vollyball had begun getting intense in front of us, but we chatted about other things. And that was when I saw a boy throw the ball back onto the vollyball pitch and hit a poor camp leader on the head. I grabbed my friend's arm, unable to control my laughter from the sideline. "Did you see that boy?" I asked, giggling. He turned around then, a hand clamped to his mouth. The camp leader had turned around in confusion, looking out for the culprit. "That was not my fault!" He had shouted jokily to us and that was the first time he made me laugh that week, but not the last. 

Later you told me that after that, you couldn't take your eyes off me.

You kept catching my eye then the next day. I told myself I was being silly. I thought it was just a coincidence, but by the glint in your eyes I realised it was purely intentional. I watched you run at the sports day games but it was you who made my heart race. And though you didn't win, you seem to have won my heart.

By the third day, I sat opposite you in a large room filled with 80 of our campmates, and somehow your eyes were only on me. I pointed you out to my friend again, convinced that I wasn't making up your secret smiles and I watched as you messed up your speech, making everyone laugh, not that anyone minded. You kept going and that was the important thing. And when you encouraged me from the sideline, I couldn't help but smile even more. That was the moment I decided I would talk to you.

I thought that later by the campfire would be the perfect opportunity. Almost too good to be true. It sounded like everything from the movies and more, because it was real and it was happening to me. I was actually going to talk to you, once I had worked up the courage. I still remember how your eyes lit up when I said "Hey," a simple word that made us both smile. Then before I knew it, we were both sat by the campfire with the last dredges of the sunlight reaching through the clouds and letting a purple haze wash over everything. The camp leaders left us to it for the most part, but soon you were pulled away to perform a very badly done cartwheel for tomorrow's talent show. Safe to say that gymnastics wasn't your strong suit, but you still made me laugh like the first time, and you continued to do so over the next few days. 

You and I walked together the next day by the canal. A hundred or so teenagers walking in a line and it was you and I walking side by side talking about the upcoming activities. I shared around my snacks, and you were impressed how many I had managed to fit in my bag. I had bragged I was always well prepared as we shared a bag of skittles just us in the cafe, and you had messaged a few days later, holding a red packet in your hand saying they reminded you of me.

It started to rain on the way home, only a light drizzle. I was wrapped in my jumper but you still offered your coat. We had dinner in the canteen. I learnt that strawberry icecream was your favourite, and we debated about the best flavours. I will also never forget how loud you sang at the disco in the woods later that night. Unafraid to sing. You said I had a beautiful voice and though I doubted it I still decided to believe you.

I saw you standing on the otherside. I wanted to go over, but was soon whisked away by my friends dancing and singing. It wasn't long before we crossed paths again, one direction was blasting through the headphones. I hadn't realised until then that this was the movie moment I had been dreaming of, a party in the woods opposite the boy I seemed to have fell head over heels for almost instantly. Love at first sight; how else could I explain it? It was easy to be around you, to lean against you on the bus and to intertwine our hands together despite how friends points and sniggers. We talked lazily about the camping trip, tired but smiling about our week. A week in heaven, disguised by the fields and portaloos of the camp. A week of bliss and gossip and laughs. We became the talk of the camp, and I can't even make up how everyone was rooting for us. How could they not? 

Even on the bus I saw how you gazed at me, hair messy and eyes tired, a smile spreading on your face as I caught you looking. I felt like the luckiest girl in the world. Even sunburnt and dirty from camping I had still managed to find someone like you, a shy, funny and blond 6ft to my 5ft boy who was even excited to brush his teeth with me.

Love at first sight. My friend frowned when I said it. "Do you really believe that?" She had said. But how could I not when you had proven to me that such a thing existed?

August 06, 2024 10:04

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

RBE | Illustration — We made a writing app for you | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.