0 comments

Fiction Friendship Romance

It was early morning in 1996 in Rio de Janeiro, Brazil.

Sarah (or "Sarah Plain and Tall" as her university classmates called her) just barely made it to the Train Station at Rio de Janeiro on time to board her train. She had gone to college to study Environmentally sustainable Architecture and Engineering, and she signed up to Study abroad in Brazil. Getting a Coffee and a Croissant from the in-station coffee shop, Sarah rushed to find her Train. When she found her Train, she had to dig in her purse to get it, but she got her ticket to show to the Conductor.

Sarah had volunteered for 'Rainforest S.O.S International', a reforestation and land conservation nonprofit organization, to plant native Trees in Brazil's degraded Rainforest land. Today just so happened to be day that Sarah had no classes for the day, so she was boarding a train to Ouro Preto, or "Black Gold". The train was packed with tourists, commuters, and men, women, boys and girls of all ages, ethnicities and walks of life. Some nuns were sitting in three rows of seats behind Sarah, in the seat line across from her, a little boy and a little girl sat unescorted. A beggar was holding out a cup to catch spare change in.

A gentleman with cocoa-toned skin and dreadlocks about Sarah's age walked down the aisle, stopped, and asked "Excuse me, miss, is this seat taken?"

Sarah shook her head. "Have a seat."

She couldn't help but notice that he was kind of handsome.

"Thank you miss...uh..." started the gentleman

"Sara...but my friends call me "Sarah, plain and tall!"" Answered Sara with a giggle.

"Nice to meet you, Sarah Plain and Tall, my name is Armando!" said the gentleman, offering his hand. Sarah shook his hand.

"So, where are you headed?" Armando asked.

"La Plata, a village just southwest of Ouro Petro. And you?" Sarah replied.

"Are you with Rainforest S.O.S too?" Armando asked.

"Yes! I'm signed to plant Native Trees!" Sarah answered.

"Me too!" said Armando.

After having small talks about how Sarah was from the States and Armando was born and raised in Rio, and what they were going to school for, the Train stopped at their Destination.

When they got to Ouro Petro, they took separate taxis southwest to La Plata La Plata was an indigenous village until Ore was discovered under the ground there, and settlers took over the village and dug up the whole ground extracting ore until there was none left to be extracted. When the mineral supply tapped out, the settlers returned back to the cities, leaving the indigenous tribe in that village to barely scrape by with a depleted ecosystem, dried up waterways and less fertile soil.

Once the volunteers from all over the world arrived at the village, they were appalled to see the village mostly devoid of natural scenery.

A man was standing next to the members of the local Indigenous Tribe greeting the volunteers.

"Thank you very much for going so far out of your way to help us revitalize this patch of Rainforest. My name is Connor, I'm the Organizer and Supervisor! Decades ago, settlers from the big cities overdeveloped the land to dig up all the Mineral Ore under the village until the Mineral veins were all tapped out, then they abandoned the Natives here to fend for themselves with less. It's a well known fact that Trees are LIFE! So we're going to restore LIFE to this area by restoring TREES. Each of you will be designated your own acre where you will plant and water 20 saplings. Each member of the local Indigenous Tribe here will escort you to your designated Acre and consult you about mulching and watering!" The man said.

"Let's see...Klaus, you're arranged to Acre D-1. Johann, you're assigned to Acre A-1...Steak Sauce! Sorry, sorry! Crystal, you're assigned to Acre to sector B-3...Melinda, A-2, Jose, you're Sector B-1...."

A woman walked up to Sarah.

"Hello, my name is Rosa and I'll be your guide!"

"Hello, Rosa! I'm Sarah!" Sarah greeted.

Sarah was arranged to Acre A-4, Armando to Acre B-2. It was tedious, repetitive work digging holes, removing burlap, watering and mulching saplings, but it felt so rewarding to see new vegetation sprouting on previously barren earth. When Sarah got back to her dorm, she'd take a hot shower and order food to reward herself.

The next few days, the volunteers would return to water and fertilize their saplings.

The years passed since then, Sarah got her Master's Degree in Sustainable Architecture and Engineering. She ran a successful business in Sustainable Design. But she never stopped thinking about that patch of land. After saving up for almost a year, Sarah booked another flight to Rio de Janeiro.

Sarah made it to the Train Station and showed her ticket to the conductor just barely in time. She hurriedly grabbed a Coffee and a Pastry from the in-station Coffee Shop before boarding.

The train to Ouro Petro was crowded. Kids running up and down the aisle, nuns were praying in the seats behind Sarah, and a beggar was holding a cup out to catch spare change in.

"I guess some things never change..." mused Sarah to herself.

At the Ouro Petro Train Station, Sarah ran into a familiar face.

"Armando?" Sarah asked.

"Sarah?" Armando asked.

The two hugged.

"It's been years! What are you doing here??" Armando asked.

"I'm here to revisit that village I helped Reforest!" Sarah answered.

"Me too!"

So the two shared a taxi to La Plata, and the two were overwhelmed by the majestic, gorgeous Rainforest standing before them. The River that had dried out was now bloated and flowing unimpeded. The soil was Bountiful again. Their reforestation and conservation accomplishments gained worldwide fame and recognition.

The Indigenous tribe invited the two to eat with them and stay the night in the village. After a great deal of consideration, Sarah and Armando decided to stay in Brazil together.

April 22, 2021 22:57

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

RBE | We made a writing app for you (photo) | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.