In the Tea House

Written in response to: Set your story in a tea house.... view prompt

0 comments

American

Beep beep beep my alarm went. I hit the snooze button as I slowly sat up, one vertebrate at a time. I crept out of my bed and got dressed. I brushed my teeth, grabbed my purse and made sure my makeup bag and wallet were in there, and grabbed my keys and stuffed my phone in my purse. Then, I got in my car. I got a drive-through breakfast and coffee and arrived at work quite early, I was expecting traffic to be much heavier. I ate as fast as possible and was finishing doing simple make-up when my boss arrived. I quickly jumped out of the car as we greeted each other.

My boss was pleased to see me there early. "Thank you, Trisha, for being here early. You can teach your co-workers a lesson. I don't see any other cars in this parking lot. Just the ones across the street." I look across the street as he does. I'm here early every day, but I don't ruin this for him. He does let me work at the one place I have loved since I was a little girl who came here with her mother on special occasions. This shop, this shop is like my home.

The Tea Shoppe. I love to work here. I have always loved coming here and being able to work here is a dream. I always have loved tea shops in general, but being able to work in a larger one that looks so antique-ish is what really makes it my favorite. The biscuits and the tea is fabulous though, and the peppermint tea is the bomb. I recommend it to everyone.

My boss is almost never here, so I am kind of surprised he is. I ask him why but all he tells me is that he wanted to check on something. Fine by me, but my curiosity felt unsatisfied. I think it may have something to do with my co-workers based off of what he said earlier. But I can't recall the last time there was a problem with the staff. Some are really late though. Every day. I know our boss hates people who are late, but they live quite far away. I live far away too, but I estimate my times the night before. I don't mind the drive because from where I'm living, this is the nearest and best/highest quality tea shop.

I understand this job isn't for everyone, but I love it so much here that I can't even imagine disliking it. I've worked here for a very long time. At least two years now. I've had a promotion here and there. But nothing major. I want to work here and get my own place or work here forever. This place is almost like a home to me.

It reminds me of how when I was young my mother would take me here and have morning tea with me in the summer when she wasn't working or when it was a special occasion. The first time I came here my mom needed to sit down and clear her mind. It eventually became our Saturday morning routine to come here. Our favorite worker was really nice to me. She always made us smile. I try to be like her when I'm working. I loved being with my mom and drinking morning tea as we talked about the craziness of the world. It was our own little getaway spot.

One day, I want to open my own tea shop in the town by my house. I dream about the aesthetic of the shop and the menu and the treats. How many different types of tarts there would be. I absolutely adore tarts. Of course scones and muffins or crumpets, but the special will be tarts. And Lemon Merangue tarts on special occasions, and I might take a little peek at the recipe for the peppermint tea. People will come far and wide after I save up enough money. I have a house and food and other belongings, but not enough money to have a business. I already went to college. The other part of this job is paying off my student loan. I will need to save for at least another three years at most. Maybe more, maybe less. All I can hope for is to keep working here in a higher position or get enough money to own my own tea shop.

I quickly got my apron on and grabbed my notepad. We opened the business and our usual customers came in for a spot of tea and crumpets. And my dream job continued. I happily went around taking orders and bringing them out. I love this job with all of my heart, and would only trade it to be the owner. My boss then surprised me. Apparently what he was checking on, was me.

He sat me down at one of the small two people tables. We said good afternoon to each other and ordered a pot of tea when he told me he was here for me. I was surprised and slightly confused at why. Maybe I forgot to refill the napkins, or my hair got in someone's tea? Maybe I wasn't fast enough for some customers?

"How would you like to be promoted to be an on-site manager? It is a big job but I think you're ready for it. Our customers absolutely adore you and I have heard great things from them calling about giving you a promotion. It's on the table if you want it." I rejoiced in my head, and relief spread through my body. I immediately accepted the job and finished my day of work.

One month later, I started being a manager for the shop and I loved it. Being an on-site manager was truly my dream come true. It was the real job I wanted, the one true thing that made me happy. Better than taking orders and much better than having to make it month to month of a small business. I absolutely love my new job. It is everything I wanted and more.

January 12, 2022 16:30

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

RBE | We made a writing app for you (photo) | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.