Playground Memories

Submitted into Contest #155 in response to: Set your story in a kids’ playground, or at a roundabout.... view prompt

4 comments

Fiction Friendship Happy

Playground Memories

“Hi. My name is Kyle. What’s your name?”

“Hi. It’s Cari. I just moved here.”

“Is that your mom over there?”

“Yeah.”

“She’s talking to my mom.”

“Oh.”

“Do you like it here?”

“It’s ok. My mom said we had to move on account of my mom and dad split up.”

“Oh. That’s too bad. Hey but it’s nice here in Hightown. What grade will you be going in when the summer is over?

“Fourth grade.”

“Hey me too. Maybe we will be in the same class. That way you won’t feel alone, you’ll have me.”

“That would be fun.”

“Do you have a pool at your new house?”

“No, not yet, but my mom said we can get one next summer.”

“Maybe you and your mom can come over our house one day and swim in our pool, since we already know each other.”

“That’s awesome. Thanks Kyle.”

“You’re welcome. Let’s go play on the monkey bars.”

“Ok.”

************************************************************

“So, Corrine. How long have you been living here?”

“Well, A.J. is it?”

“Yes. It’s short for Andrea Jean.”

“Well, A.J., it’s been about a month. Just long enough to unpack everything and sign Cari up for school. This is the first day we had to relax.”

“Oh, I know how that feels.” A.J. says as she waves her hands.

“Oh, did you move here recently too?”

“A couple years ago. I caught my husband cheating, got a great lawyer, cleaned him out. I sold the house and moved us here to Hightown to make a clean start. Kyle is happier and the schools are much better.”

“I’m sorry to hear that, but it’s good Kyle is doing so well.”

“Oh, dear. I’m not. It was the best thing for both of us. I thought I was in love with Kyle’s father, but I got pregnant, and we were doomed from the start. We tried to make it work, but he couldn’t stop looking around, ya know.”

“Yeah, I get it. Cari’s father and I…it was great at first, but then we both realized we really didn’t have anything in common besides Cari and it just wasn’t working out. So, we moved for the same reason. A clean slate.”

They both paused their conversation to see where their children were. They were running around the playground laughing and finally settled on the roundabout, jumped on to take the last two spaces. They were having a blast, as if they have always known each other.

“Well, it looks like our kids have already decided we were going to be friends,” said as they both smiled.

A.J. stands up looking to get the kids attention.

“Kyle! Cari!”

“Yeah mom!”

“Both of you come here for a minute,” she says as she waves them over.

“Here, sit and stay hydrated,” she said as she hands the kids two small bottles of water.

“Hi Kyle. I’m Corrine, Cari’s mom,” she holds out her hand and Kyle gently shakes.

“And my name is A.J. My, aren’t you just adorable.”

“Thank you.”

“Cari, how are you liking it here so far? Are you having fun on the playground with Kyle?”

“Oh yes. It’s way fun.”

“Sweetie, maybe you and Kyle will be in the same class in school.”

“Yeah, Kyle already told me. Can we go back and play now?”

“Yes. Go. Have a blast.”

“Ok. Can we get ice cream later mom? Please mom?” Kyle asks.

“We’ll see. Go play.”

“Ok,” he says as they run to the roundabout again.

************************************************************

“Corrine, have you found work yet?”

“I put in a few applications, but I haven’t gotten anything yet.”

“Well, I have an offer for you if you’re interested. A couple of years ago, I started a real estate company. I will pay for you to get your realtors license and come work for me. It’s just me and Jackie my assistant. The business is growing, and I could use another realtor. I had to turn away one or two clients and I don’t like to do that. It’s a great industry, fun, and it pays well. What do you say?”

“A.J., that sounds perfect. Thank you so much. But are you sure, I mean, we just met?”

“We have been sitting here talking for two hours and our kids are having a blast, so, I’d say that qualifies.”

 “Yeah, we can’t deny the looks on their faces. I haven’t seen Cari this happy since we got here. The split with her father has been difficult on her. She doesn’t see or communicate with her dad often. It’s the main thing we have been fighting about lately.”

“I completely understand. I am lucky in that way…it’s the only thing Kyle’s father and I agree on is raising our son and he lives close enough that Kyle can see his dad anytime.”

“My main reason for moving to Hightown is that it’s a great family area…Cari is my first priority.”

“Absolutely. Same here.”

************************************************************

Eight Years Later

“Hey Cari. Come here a second.”

“Yeah, what’s up?”

“Remember when we first met when we were kids. You and your mom just moved here. You were sitting on these swings looking so sad.”

“Ha-Ha. Yeah. I was so upset about everything happening…then you came along.”

“That was the best thing that ever happened to me,” Kyle smiles.

“Yeah. And look at us now.”

“Yeah. A lot has happened to both our families. Moving here was the best thing for all of us. Both our mom’s got remarried and are very happy. Your mom is going to have a baby boy. Everything is great.”

“Next week we graduate high school. I can’t believe it.”

“And then we go to the Harris County Community College in the fall. Me for nursing and you for criminal justice and then you go off to the police academy.”

“Yeah, I can’t wait for that…I mean, of course I’ll miss you. But I’ll be back as Officer Kyle Griffin. Pretty cool right. But the academy is not right away, we’ll be in college first.”

“Yeah. I am looking forward to college too. Learning all I can about nursing and possibly go further if I wanted to later. I can’t wait to treat people and help them feel better. Kind of like you did for me.”

Kyle and Cari smile at each other.

“Kyle. You’re the best thing that happened to me too. I love you.”

“I love you too Cari.”

They kiss.

“I have been wanting to say that for a really long time,” Kyle said. “I loved you since the day we met. I knew when we got along that day on this playground that we were going to be friends for life.”

“You bring out the best in me,” Cari smiles.

“I’ll bet if we jump off the swings, I can land further than you.”

“Bet you can’t.”

************************************************************

Epilogue

“Gabriella! Dane! Junior! Stay together please!” A.J. said to her young grandchildren.

“Mom, this was a great idea to have a picnic at the playground,” Cari said.

“Well, today is the anniversary of when we all met. You met Kyle and I met A.J., and we became a family. It seemed only fitting for all of us to come here and celebrate. I thought your kids would enjoy it and we can make some new playground memories.”

“So many remarkable things have come from our chance meeting. You and Kyle are married and gave us three terrific grandchildren, I met and married Brian,” A.J. said.

“And if it weren’t for our moving here, I would not have met Jon and we have Jon Jr. I am extremely happy with our family,” said Corrine as she looks around at everyone.

“Besides, it gives us a chance to see our three adorable grandkids,” A.J. said.

“Mom, you see the kids all the time,” Kyle said.

“Yes, and we love every single minute.”

THE END

July 22, 2022 15:56

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

4 comments

Tommy Goround
23:15 Aug 03, 2022

It is happy. (Ok..the typical failing husband was annoying but it is real. So, no complaints). Conflict...? Nope. I don't see any conflict. Option: one family has a puppy that bites. Then the puppy grows old and bites. Then the puppy dies? No. That wouldn't be happy. I read the whole story and enjoyed it. I guess you are proof that we do not need conflict. :)

Reply

Judi Wallower
14:25 Aug 04, 2022

Thank you

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Tia Janay
05:51 Jul 29, 2022

I really liked how your characters grew and progressed, I would have liked to know a bit more about the moms from the beginning. More setting descriptions would make this stronger as well. This was fun to read.

Reply

Judi Wallower
15:35 Jul 29, 2022

thank you for the feedback and I will work on that. I was thinking that the kids were the main part of the story. I do appreciate your comment.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.