MEETING NEW FRIENDS.

Submitted into Contest #48 in response to: Write about someone who always comes to the aid of others.... view prompt

0 comments

General

It’s about 2:00 pm and all are getting set for dance rehearsal which has been made paramount in the Domicile. New members were also recruited into the dance group. Everyone were set for rehearsals at exactly 2:30 pm but the dance instructor (Steven) was still expecting a new dancer who should be among the recruited but still is not present. But he gave the order for the rehearsal to commence.

He climbs the flight of stairs swiftly to the top floor, where the dance rehearsal is been held. He looks amazing in his tracks suits and snicker, wears a nice perfume and in a clean low cut hair, with his skin so light and his lips as red as blood, average height and the words of his mouth were very soft.

Good afternoon everybody, but no one answered. Late coming is highly prohibited in this rehearsal, Steven said and what kept you so long? He added, but he said “I am sorry it won’t happen again” then Steven said, well, let leave that for now and get down to business.

It’s won’t be fair if we don’t meet its each other for the sake of the new members, before we start the rehearsal proper, so we won’t refer to one another as dogs said Adrian. Okay, Steven said. They are five new members of the dance group. Ramsey , Michael, Ruth, Light and Timothy. All introduced themselves in full details and it was Michael’s turn.

He said, I am Michael, sixteen years of age and dance is my life. Thank you.

Is that all about you? David asked. Michael then said, find out more about me from my behavior and attitudes. If I tell you about me then I will fake it. The crew consisted of 12 guys and 10 ladies. David is one of the crew’s favorites, not because he dances well, but because he is really friendly which keeps them alive. The girls were amazed at the reply he gave. In a light tone someone said “the new boy is proud”. Before she could finish her statement he said, I am not proud because I know the beginning of pride was heaven, the continuance of pride is earth and the end of pride is hell. So I won’t want to end up in hell, he concluded by saying it’s charisma.This is gonna be interesting Mercy said.

The rehearsal started and the routine was shown to the dancers. After the rehearsal the dance coordinator wanted a report. Steven gave his report that, they did well but one of the new guys named Michael did better.

A little was known about Michael but a lot has been said by the inquisitive crew. The skills he possesses, his oratory and the messages he passes during his solo performance is soul lifting. I think I’m liking him said Mercy, Heritage her friend chuckled.

At the end of the rehearsal, the crew decided to fully introduce themselves to the new members, especially to Michael, the guys were on, so the girls waited for their turn. It was their turn, and it took longer than expected, thinking he will say more about himself but all to no avail, but he was patient so he won’t be officially named Mr pride.

One of the ladies came late to rehearsal and doesn’t know the new boy’s name. So she said, “am sorry I didn’t catch your name”, and Michael said that’s because I threw it before you came in. They all laughed and he said, am sorry just wanted to feel at home, my name is Michael he said. And said her name is Deborah.

It’s a new day, and it’s been awhile since he talked to someone from the crew, meanwhile it’s just four days since after the rehearsal . He feels close to them like he knew them from Adam. He needs someone to tell him more about his new home, because he moved in with his mom a week just before his first day at the dance rehearsal. Who can help with this? He asked himself, then he thought, the opposite sex are willing to spend more time to give an opposite sex full details of what they need to know, so he thought of making a new friend who will tell him about his new domicile and only a folk who has stayed awhile longer than himself could help with that.

It’s a Sunday morning, everything looks so beautiful and bright. He decided to try a church in his vicinity. It was a Pentecostal church, the love they shared in the church amazed him, even to a new person like himself, surprised him. But he came for a reason after God, he kept it in mind not to forget that he needed someone to gist him about his new home.

He was busy with is phone when he looked up and saw an elegant young looking lady, dark in complexion, her eye balls as white as snow and her teeth weren’t scared of saying “cheese”. He walked up to her and introduced himself and she also introduced herself to be Daniella. She told him most things he needed to know, and through her he met up to fifteen new friends and learnt their names very quick. Among the friends he met, he saw people who know where they were going, those who prefer to stay where they are due to fear of criticism and those who are trying to move forward but can’t, due to lack of persistence.

Daniella stays close to his house, so he decided to exchange contacts with her, maybe they could be close friends. He is not up to her standard but he doesn’t have a low self esteem. He dresses well and cooperate, very intelligent with a good oratory and surely has a bad character which you have to be observant to find out.

“Meeting new people is making progress, knowing them is a process and getting to love them is the best”. Gradually, he begins to adapt to his new domicile. He knows he can’t stop meeting people of different characters and he can’t stop learning either. But he chooses what to learn, from who to learn and what to do with what he’s learnt. He understands that people don’t get paid for what you know but they get paid for what they do with what they know. Since he is multi talented, he wishes to get paid, one way or the other.

In pursuit of his aim, he meets a pretty fair complexion lady whom he knew less things about. She looks so nice but Michael isn’t seeing what she is seeing.

June 30, 2020 08:16

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.