Challenge or be Challenged

Submitted into Contest #5 in response to: Write a story about someone striving for a "comeback."... view prompt

0 comments

General

Life is not always fair. It hands you curves generally good. For Adam, this was how he felt day in and day out. Bored. He decided to doing something drastic. Extreme even for his values. Adam was not a religious person. But today he felt something. Different. He got up and fixed his routine cup of coffee, two teaspoons each creamer and sugar and picked out his best outfit. It was seven o' clock on a Sunday morning and Adam was going to church. He didn't have a Bible or any idea just how it was going to go. But he was determined to get to the nearest church on time. As he dressed he was nervous. He adjusted his tie and grabbed his jacket as he walked out the door. The church was two blocks from his apartment. He felt strange. And out of nowhere began singing.

This was different even for Adam. He didn't sing. When he got to the church he opened the heavy wooden door gently tracing the cross in the center, and went inside. It was quiet.

Only a few places were taken so he went to the front pew and sat down.

He was in awe at the plethora of colors coming through the stained glass windows. Something he had only seen on the television. Then someone walked over and sat down in front of the piano and was quietly playing a soft melody. Strange. Adam began softly humming along to the tune of the music. "Wow, he thought." As people poured in Adam began looking around. Everyone was smiling. There was a sparkle in their eyes. At this point there was no turning back. Adam was hooked. He sat back and for the first time, smiled himself. As the music began everyone, including Adam stood up to sing. "Weird". It was as if he grew up hearing this very tune. Then it dawned on me that his mother, who died when he was very young used to sing to him. Adam felt tears down his face. And a gentle butterfly in his stomach. He was remembering his mother.

When the music was done, everyone, including Adam sat back down to listen to the message the pastor had prepared. He spoke like he was your best friend. Soft and confident. At the end of the sermon Adam stayed behind for a moment. He was still at awe of the events that he had just experienced and wanted answers. As the last one left the building, Adam was nervous again. But he didn't have time since the pastor noticed him and came over and sat down.

"Welcome, young man, I am Pastor Barnes".

Adam told him his name and before he knew it a brand new Bible signed by the pastor was gently placed in his lap. By now tears were streaming from Adam's eyes and in disbelief, a beautiful stream of colors embraced him. He sat for a moment after the pastor left, wiped his tears and stood up.

And again, strangely, began humming a tune only his mother hummed to him as a baby before he would go to sleep.

Adam went home, smiling. He had achieved the very goal he desired since he was a child. To be close to God.

August 30, 2019 15:57

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.