Ton Talk

Submitted into Contest #254 in response to: Write a story in the format of a gossip column.... view prompt

19 comments

Historical Fiction

"Ton Talk"


Society Papers Issue# 1 - The London Season of 1814


April 13th


Dear Dear Gentle Readers,


Prepare to be enthralled, my loyal accomplices, as the esteemed families in our tight-lipped society find themselves once again under the scrutiny of my sharpened quill. The Ton has been veiled in hushed silence for months in the off-season, awaiting the blossoms of spring. My ink well ran dry with the absence as the nobility took a holiday to country estates and long ocean voyages.


Some of you thought I, too, convalesced taking summer off from gathering my research. Oh, Ye of little faith. I am proud to reveal that I am not disappointed in our hypocritical cast of characters who, as always, will remain nameless, as well as this author's true identity. Tighten your bonnets, my dearest reader; the winds of gossip are blowing.


The cobbled streets of London are buzzing like a beehive on a spring day, with the clattering of hooves, the rumble of carriages, and the cries of street vendors. Amidst this delightful mayhem, a riot of blooms bursts outside my windows, with daffodils nodding cheerfully, tulips with vivid hues, and cherry blossoms creating a whimsical pink snowfall. Even the flowers could not resist showing off, much like a crowd of eager debutants vying for attention on the grand stage of London's marriage mart. 


According to the talk of the Ton, let the annual games begin for the title of the diamond of the first water. Can you fathom a prospective bride gallivanting off to 50 balls, 60 parties, 30 dinners, and 25 breakfasts, all in a single season? Goodness gracious! And the audacity of society to brand her as a complete failure if she had yet to secure a match within two or three seasons. Egads! The blight, if she were to approach 30 without a suitor—she'd be deemed a hopeless spinster, poor soul. Oh, the joys of societal expectations! 


First, I must beg your attention, my fairweather friends, with the most intriguing summer uncos. A respected author to whom we have all been loyal readers articulated her disdain for the Prince Regent to a supposed confidant. In this correspondence, the unmarried author composed her displeasure with his behavior, criticizing his gluttony, depravity, and infidelities, which scandalized the recipient.


The author, who we will refer to as "Lady J," showed her harsh sentiments towards the Prince Regent, which were substantial, perhaps bordering on treason. She will never darken the doorsteps of the Palace again after the latest installment of my "Ton Talk" reaches our esteemed Queen's eyes. And now, as the curtain rises on the glittering ballrooms of London society providing the backdrop, the stakes are raised, and there is much to report.


Rumors are swirling around the Ton about the exchange of steamy love letters between a certain prominent Dowager Countess and a notorious bachelor. Proof of a romantic liaison between these two unlikely lovers has caused quite a stir downstairs. The scriber of these honeyed notes is a lady whose name may or may not start with a "D" of high standing, known for her refined grace and impeccable reputation. We are painfully aware that the lady's sterling image will soon be tarnished, mirroring her recent soiree's unpolished silver.


The torrid affair is with a dashing younger member of the landed gentry, "Mister M, "known for his rugged face and wayward charm. The interactions will soon be revealed to this author by a trusted household insider. Will this forbidden affair lead to a humiliation of epic proportions, or is there more to this story than meets the eye? Could it be a love match of the May-December kind? The news leaves tongues wagging and the Ton poised to hear the enticing tidbits of this inappropriate romance.


Hosted in Kent by Baron "F," it was the most extravagant house party of the summer. While in the lady's dressing room, the rumblings of a secret engagement were overheard between two prominent nobles, now threatened by a rival suitor we shall call "Sir R." Will love once again conquer all, or will the meddling of others shatter their dreams of a happily ever after? The answer, my dear spectators, lies in the pages of our subsequent editions after these events play out before our eyes.


The winds are blowing, and the gossip mill is hard spinning. A forbidden romance between Earl "P" and a loyal ladies' maid has been discovered in the most dramatic circumstances. The intriguing particulars are too scandalous to reveal in this edition and will undoubtedly impact our society's delicate balance of pecking order. For now, my followers, you must wait for the future installments of our shameful saga.


In a startling twist, a duel of honor has erupted between an impetuous Viscount and a confident Duke, instigated by a misunderstanding between two passionate hearts. The gentlemen in question were preening about at the recent Palace Ball like two peacocks with their mesmerizing tail feathers on display. The public spectacle of forbidden lovers in conflict, a sight to behold, has shocked our Ton.


I must confess that this author has always suspected they were much more than mere acquaintances. What could have sparked such a dramatic turn of events, and will the chasm between these nobles ever be bridged? The answers, my dear readers, will be unveiled in our next edition. Will they reconcile, or will their feud escalate, ending at sunrise and gunpoint?


As the rumors whirl, we are staggered by the sudden disappearance of the lovely "Lady C" during her fifth season on the marriage mart. Gossips suggest that she has fled with a charming ginger-haired rogue. Could this be a plan for a hasty wedding in the picturesque Scottish highlands, or is it the opening act of a dramatic lark that will captivate us all? It seems "Count V," the father of "Lady C "and host of the summer soirée, was overheard employing a colorful Scottish expression to refer to the scoundrel. Some guests were taken aback to hear him uttering the phrase "The Rake is a bawbag," which, as it turns out, colloquially refers to a particular male anatomical feature in Scottish slang.


Tales of dishonorable behavior are rife in the opulent ballrooms of London's high society. A daring public wager has seized the Ton's attention. A bold debutante known for her love of royal purple appears embroiled in a most unusual situation with a notorious gambler who wears black and has a questionable reputation. The initial amusement of the wager has quickly given way to a series of unforeseen events, culminating in a surprising and unconventional marriage proposal that has left the Ton in bewilderment. Is this a union of true love or merely a charade crafted to salvage their reputations and protect their social standing?


Lastly, it was a scandalous evening with the secret affairs of the revelers attending a masked ball held last night at the Carlton House. Beneath the disguised pretenses, society's most prominent figures indulged in their intimate rendezvous upstairs and romantic escapades in the gardens. Who were the masked strangers entangled in these passionate liaisons, and will their identities be unveiled? I, for one, indeed plan to rip off their masks.


At the start, I warned you, my lovely friends, that this would be a windstorm. I do pray that your bonnets are still intact after reading this issue of the season. To learn the answers to all these questions, you must part with your five shillings each week as the drama unfolds. Be assured, my dearest reader, that my quill is sharp, and my ears and eyes are open. 


Eternally Yours in Gossip,


Lady Tattlewood


**********

Author's note: I'm a huge Julia Quinn fan and have read all nine Bridgerton novels. Lady Whistledown, is my favorite character, so a chance to write like her could not be passed up. I am currently binge-watching the third season on Netflix. If you enjoy historical romance, it's a great series.

June 09, 2024 14:12

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

19 comments

Jerry Beitzel
01:30 Jun 20, 2024

Not aware of Julia Quinn's Bridgerton novels but peaked my curiosity after reading this. Very inviting, leaving me wanting more.

Reply

Laurie Spellman
08:43 Jun 20, 2024

Thank you! It's a great series.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Helen A Smith
13:54 Jun 17, 2024

This is exquisite. You’ve perfectly captured the spirit of the prompt. I was thinking of writing in this style, but it defeated me. Well done Laurie

Reply

Laurie Spellman
16:23 Jun 17, 2024

Thank I really love ❤️ Julia Quinn! I appreciate your feedback.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Marie Ward
09:17 Jun 17, 2024

You've put in a lot of historical context which I appreciate. I did find it hard to keep up with all the anonymous characters though. Well done.

Reply

Show 0 replies
08:14 Jun 16, 2024

You do remind me of Lady Whistledown! Way to go! This reads like conspiratorial fun. I haven't read all the Bridgerton novels, though I've watched the three series on Netflix. But I have read all the Regency Romances by Georgette Heyer, and a number of other authors. Love the time period. My Regency set story is different, of course, though a reader did describe the mood of it as Bridgerton. Lots of fun if you are acquainted with the lifestyle and values of the time period.

Reply

Laurie Spellman
11:36 Jun 16, 2024

Thank you. I love the Regency period as well. 🦋🐝🐝🐝

Reply

01:14 Jun 17, 2024

Another wee point. It is said about Georgette Heyer, "Bridgerton probably wouldn't exist without her."

Reply

Laurie Spellman
01:44 Jun 17, 2024

I plan on reading her. Work!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Kristy Schnabel
22:33 Jun 15, 2024

This is so clever and fun! It seems like you could be writing for Bridgerton, not just watching it. I imagine that the Ton would read your column first before anything else in the paper. Thanks for the enjoyable ride.

Reply

Laurie Spellman
02:51 Jun 16, 2024

Thank you, and I'm so glad you enjoyed it. So much fun 🐝🐝🐝

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Darvico Ulmeli
09:13 Jun 13, 2024

Nice read. Wrote a similar story but decided to go for another. Still, keeping the story for another prompt. I enjoyed this one.

Reply

Laurie Spellman
11:33 Jun 13, 2024

Thank you 👍

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Mary Bendickson
02:12 Jun 10, 2024

Not aware of the series but you portrayed it seriously authenticly.

Reply

Laurie Spellman
10:10 Jun 10, 2024

Thank you, Mary!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Alexis Araneta
18:29 Jun 09, 2024

Once again, amazing stuff, Laurie ! The flow is just amazing. Good descriptions too !

Reply

Laurie Spellman
19:32 Jun 09, 2024

Thank you I love Julia Quinn and historical romance ❤️.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Trudy Jas
18:18 Jun 09, 2024

Never having heard of Julia Quin or Bridgerton, I was thoroughly lost in your gossip column. Assuming that your veiled references alluded to characters in the books/show. Having said that, it sounded authentic, barbs and all. :-)

Reply

Laurie Spellman
19:31 Jun 09, 2024

Oh yes, it's a character in her books I'm mimicking. And many of her tropes.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
RBE | Illustrated Short Stories | 2024-06

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.