0 comments

Fiction Romance

Now boarding Flight 101 to Tahiti,” the lady on the intercom announced and nearly stopped my heart. Are we really doing this?

“That’s us!” Kevin excitedly grabbed his bag and my suitcase. His brown eyes glittered, and his smile had never been wider. It was nice to see him like this. I felt the same way last night when we concocted this plan, but now… “Are you ready?”

“Yeah,” I nodded and faked a smile the best I could. Nervously, I moved my blonde hair behind my ear and pulled my purse strap over my shoulder.

“Oh, Brea, this is going to be amazing! Imagine the views, the ocean breeze, the beach!”

“It’ll be amazing!” I parroted as I forced my legs to follow him toward the door. Should we really be doing this?

“You aren’t kidding! Most people only dream about things like this, but here we are making it happen.” I nodded along. How could I detest when this was the happiest I’d ever seen him. The lady checked our tickets, and in no time, we were in our seats on the plane.

“Do you mind if I have an aisle seat?” I asked him, feeling a bit constricted near the window.

“Sure,” he said with a shrug. “I just thought you’d like to see the ocean.”

“O, I’ll have plenty of time to see it when we land,” I assured with a smile. Awkwardly, I crossed my arms as I tried to keep him from noticing that my heart was pounding out of my chest.

“This is going to be amazing,” he repeated.

“Yeah, you said that.” I smiled but couldn’t help the frustration in my voice. Why was he trying so hard to convince me?

“Some people only ever dream of going to Tahiti to get married, but here we are running off without anybody knowing or expecting it.”

"Yep," I nodded. My nausea rose as the knot in my stomach grew. All I could think about was how mad my mother would be when she found out that she wasn't invited to my wedding. How would my sister feel after planning an elaborate ceremony for us for over a year? I also couldn't help being disappointed that only Kevin and our preacher would see me in my wedding dress. It took my seamstress a year to construct from scratch. I wanted to share this day with my family and party at my reception…

Last night, we were both so tired of trying to get everything just right. We were frustrated as we worked around the wedding party’s different schedules to get together for rehearsals. Kevin and I looked at our honeymoon tickets and saw the number to call on the brochure if we wanted to move up our travel dates. He got the idea to just run off and get married so it would be over. Then, we could move on with our married lives. At the time, it sounded great, but now… I want my wedding back. The problem is: how do I tell him that when he looks so… happy? How do I tell him this is a mistake?

“Absolutely amazing,” he repeated.

Wait… Is he trying to convince me… or himself?

“Kevin.”

“Yeah?” he turned to me, and it was the first time I noticed him using his fake smile on me.

“Do you really think it will be amazing?”

“Why wouldn’t it be?”

“Well… I know how close you are to your brothers. They would love to be there. Not to mention Addison is making our cake. She sent me pictures yesterday that she was starting the process.”

“She can use them for someone else’s wedding or birthday cake.”

“But they won’t be her brother. She’s working hard on it.”

“What are you trying to say, Brea? That we shouldn’t do this because of what the family will think.”

"Not just think but feel. I can't help but feel that it will break their hearts, and eventually ours too, one day. In our wedding pictures, crazy Uncle Bill won't be singing karaoke on stage. Aunt Milly won't be squeezing your cheeks. Your mother won't be crying because she has to let you go."

“You’ll miss that?”

"No, we will. Yes, it's a hassle to get it all together. But when we do, that day will be beautiful and perfect, surrounded by our loved ones who are celebrating the happiest day of our life with us." I began to feel better as I finally voiced my concern and watched relief flood his features.

He didn’t speak at first. However, within seconds his smile was genuine as a deflating sigh left him.

“Thank God you said something. I was seriously going to go through with this because I thought you wanted to. I didn’t want you to think that I didn’t want to marry you because I do. I really do, Brea.”

“I know,” I said with a giggle and feeling much better than I had.

“I just didn’t know how to say it, and I didn’t want to upset you, especially not two days before our wedding.”

“You’re so sweet.”

“I’d do anything for you.”

“You, too.” We shared a light kiss before the lady on the intercom interrupted with another warning.

Final call for all passengers on Flight 101 to Tahiti!”

“We should go,” I suggested.

“To Tahiti?”

“Well, yeah, but on our honeymoon in a couple days. Let’s go finalize some other things. I need to pick up my dress this afternoon.”

“Yeah… my bachelor party is tonight.”

“See? You don’t want to miss that.”

“I love you.”

“I love you, too.”

“We’d better go before they lock the doors.”

"Good idea." We stood and walked off the plane arm in arm. Kevin and I were happier, lighter, and busier than when we entered. Now, I had to figure out how we were going to make last-minute alterations to my sister's bridesmaid's dress... I needed a different flower to dawn my centerpieces because the florist mistakenly forgot to order wisteria... And I have to figure out how I'm getting Grandma into the reception hall since the building isn't wheelchair accessible… One breath at a time, Brea. One breath at a time. Even if I did make mistakes with any of that, it wouldn't be as bad as the one we almost made.

December 02, 2020 02:13

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.