1 comment

Christmas Drama Romance

Audrey was a successful woman who worked for a large marketing firm in Chicago. This time of the year was the worst for her. She viewed Christmas as an unnecessary distraction to real life and never really saw the allure of the holiday.

Audrey sat behind her desk reading through paperwork when her phone rang. Distracted, she slowly reached for the phone and answered without looking up.

"Audrey Harris" she chimed into the phone. Her head snapped up and her whole expression changed. She brightened up and a smile formed on her lips. "Yes sir. I will be right up." She grabbed her briefcase and whisked out of her office.

She walked down the hall with her head held high. Soon, Audrey's office rival fell into step beside her when he exited his office.

They continued to walk until they arrived at the elevators. Audrey hit the button and watched the numbers drop as did the elevator. The door opened and the two stepped inside.

When the doors slid open, the two exited together and continued to walk together. Audrey finally stopped and turned to him.

"Are you following me?" She demanded

"No," The handsome man began "Mr. Douglas wants to sew me. Are you following me?"

"Now why would Mr. Douglas want to see us both at the same time?" She wondered, out loud.

"You're going to see Mr. Douglas?" He questioned, slightly confused. "Well then shall we?" He opened the door. She swept right passed him without so much as a glance.

"Your welcome." The man said and followed her in. It wasnt long until Mr. Douglas joined them.

"We are a marketing firm that needs a gimmick, " Mr. Douglas began, " we havent met our bottom line for the year and we only have three weeks in which to do it. If we do not reach that bottom line, lay offs will be inevitable."

" What can we do to help sir?" Audrey asked straightening up in her seat.

" I'm so glad youve asked that Audrey." He closed his pointer and put it down then walked over to the edge of his desk and sat on the corner facing the two and crossed his arms.

"An idea has been brought to my attention and I am more than certain that we could pull it off, however, it will take the expertise of both of you."

"What's this magical idea?" Audrey sighed.

"It is honestly a bachelorette of sorts." He said with doubt. He was unsure if he should describe it that way or not. He continued, "we will need to find a single woman looking for marriage as well as a few single men looking for marriage. We will do our own Bachelorette right here as a fund raiser. You can pay to be a bachelor or pay an application fee to become the bachelorette of Lineman Marketing."

"So," he clapped his hands together "surely the two of you know a young, attractive, single woman that would be willing to be our bachelorette?" Mr. Douglas looked hopeful between the two of them, but they both just shook their heads.

"Audrey." Mr Douglas whispered. "You're single arent you? If you become our bachelorette, we wont have to pay someone extra."

"Excuse me Mr. Douglas but my relationship status, or lack thereof, is nobody's business but my own." She was shaking. "Furthermore, how dare you assume that I'm ready for or even want marriage." She stormed off.

" How about If I sweeten the pot?" Mr. Douglas asked with confidence.

"What did you have in mind?" Audrey replied, genuinely curious.

"How about the corner office opposite mine, and the promotion to go with it. Marketing management. What do you say?" Mr. Douglad grinned at her as she turned to him, her face excited.

"Tack on a Christmas bonus and we will talk." She folded her arms.

Mr. Douglas jumped with his hand outstretched ready to shake hers and seal the deal. Audrey took his hand and firmly shook it back.

"We have our bachelorette!" Mr. Douglas yelled, holding both fists in the air as if to say he was victorious.

"So what is my role in all of this?" Jack truly wondered.

"It will be your job Jack, to find eligible bachelors and set up the auction." Mr. Douglas replied.

"Auction?" Jack questioned

" Well of course," Mr. Douglas confirmed, "it's a fundraiser right? The bachelorette will be auctioned off to the highest bidder."

" Whoa whoa, I am not up for auction!" Audrey declared.

"Just poorly chosen words my dear." Said Mr. Douglas. "Now, we have our bachelorette, so next step, find me five bachelors. I would like a list on my desk by the end of the day with contact info. It is also your job to plan the reception. Get with accounting for all expenses. Now go on, you both have a lot of work to do."

Another silent walk back to the elevator.

"If we have to work together you might want to speak to me so we can figure out how to do this." Jack said from behind her.

"Fine," she sneered at him, "I will plan the reception you find the bachelors. Deal?" She held out her hand. He shook it and she walked away.

The next morning, Audrey was met by Jack and four other men. She turned to see Jack holding a cup of coffee out to her. She sighed, smiled and took the coffee with a quick thanks. She sat behind her desk.

"Ok, fill me in." Audrey prepared.

"Ok." Jack began. "You will go on five dates in the next three days. The bachelors have all been chosen and all dates have been planned and are prepared."

"This is Michael." Jack read from the itinerary. " He will be your first date. He will pick you up tonight at seven."

"Your next date," Jack continued, "will be with William. He would like to have a brunch date with you at eleven in the morning in the coffee shop below your apartment."

"This is Nathan, he will be your third date. He would like for you to meet him at his place where he would like to cook you dinner. The address and directions will be provided, and he requests your presence at eight o clock." Javk said.

"Your fourth date," Jack sighed, "will be with David here. He would like to pick you up at two o clock in the afternoon on Monday."

"I thought Mr. Douglas said five men?" Audrey pointed out out.

"That brings me to your fifth and final bachelor, Jack." Jack blushed but stepped toward her. "Jack would like to pick you up Tuesday at noon. Dress comfortably."

"Wait a minute, why you?" Audreybhurried toward him.

"Audrey look, I was lucky to find the men I did ok." He lowered his voice so only she could hear. "Plus, you dont have to accept my second date. You dont have to accept any second date at all. Just turn us all down."

"That's true." She said slowly. "Ok then. Glad all that's settled, now Jack please make sure I get a copy of the schedule and itinerary."

Jack stepped forward with a document folder outstretched to her. "Way ahead of you. A copy has been emailed to.your secretary and I've printed a hard copy for you."

Audrey took the envelope with a look of astonishment on her face.

"Thank you Jack." Audrey snapped. "Youve done great work, so now it's my turn. I will have plans scheduling and itineraries on your desk by morning for the reception."

"Very good." Jack agreed.

Audrey went straight to work. She spent her whole day making calls and sending emails and making reservations and payments.

Michael was very prompt that night. The date was nice, but he just wasnt her type. Too quiet and shy and unaware. Michael had her home by nine thirty after a great meal at a steakhouse. She went to bed after setting her alarm for her brunch date the next morning.

Audrey washed her face and brushed her teeth and proceeded to get ready for her brunch date the next morning.

When Audrey walked into the coffe shop, William was waiting sipping a cup of coffee.

"I wasnt sure what to order for you." William said shakily.

Audrey smiled and walked over to the counter and ordered her coffee and came back with two breakfast dogs. The best breakfast sausage around.

William and Audrey munched and sipped and talked for hours. Around two o clock, William finally noticed the time and suggested a walk in the park. They each got a coffee to go and went and had a nice peaceful walk. It was actually a really nice date and William wasnt so bad either. He was definitely handsome.

William walked Audrey home and thanked her for a wonderful afternoon. She went in and freshened up and changed her clothes for her next date with Nathan.

Audrey drove wondering what to expect of Nathan and if he could cook. When she pulled into his neighborhood, it was dark, there were gunshots, and their were iron gates and bars on every door and window.

She went straight home and called Jack and admitted she stood Nathan up and why. He agreed and told her to get some rest that her next date was at two the next day with David.

When she opened the door for David the next day, heoffered her his arm and opened every door for her. He took her to the park for a horse drawn carriage ride. That was magical. After that, David took her to a small bistro downtown that was very quaint yet very lovely and the food was scrumptious.

David and Audrey stopped forcoffee and traded stories and cookies for what seemed like hours.

David walked Audrey to her door where Audrey unlocked her door, then turned and planted a sweet kiss on David's lips. He cradled her face in his hands and kissed her back passionately.

The next day, she awoke to get ready for her last date. She felt like she didnt need to try too hard with this one. She liked David and was sure he would get the second date. She didnt care about impressing Jack.

Jack showed up right at 12 and escorted her downstairs and opened his car door for her and closed it behind her.

First, Jack took Audrey to the square for ice skating where they twirled and laughed and fell. When they had enough of the ice, they decided to grab some dinner. They settled on a hole in the wall diner.

After getting their bellies full, Jack walked Audrey to the park where a small Christmas fair was taking place. They had hot chocolate and cookies while they played Christmas games and walked through fun houses and looked at Christmas lights.

When the pair made it back to Audrey's apartment, neither were willing to say goodnight. Rumor has it, that Audrey invited Jack in for coffee and he never made it home that night.

Awakened by the sunlight shining through the curtains, Audrey smiled as she remembered the previous night. She reached across the bed and realized she was as alone but there was a note.

The note read, "Audrey, I had a wonderful time last night. More than you know. I took the liberty of having your outfit divered and ready to go. Everything you need is in the living room. I cant wait to see you in that dress. Great choice. Love, Jack."

Audrey beamed.

Jack and the other bachelors crowded the stage at the party waiting for their cue to begin the festivities.

Mr Douglas said a few words of introduction for the event and the staff providing it and handed the floor over to Jack after wishing everyone a happy holiday.

"Thank you Mr. Douglas." Jack took over as the spotlight shown on him. "Good evening everyone and thank you for joining us and supporting our causes. Welcome to the bachelorette!"

"Now, here's what's going down," Jack explained, "our bachelorette, the lovely Audrey, attended a date with each of us." Jack motioned to the other men on the stage who stepped forward into the light. He introduced each.

"Michael was her first date, then William, then Nathan, the David then me, Jack."

When jack turned back to the audience, he was stopped dead in his tracks with his mouth hanging open. Audrey had just walked in and Jack could look at nothing else. She had her long black hair straightened with blue sparkles. She wore a full length ice blue dress with sheer arms.

"Ladies and gentlemen," Jack stammered, "without further ado, I would like to present to you, our bachelorette, Audrey Harris!"

"Now what happens," Jack continued, "each of us men will propose to Audrey with a golden ring. Not marriage, but we will all ask her for a second date. Audrey could accept one of us or none of us. Its solely up to her. So up first is Michael."

Michael stumbled forward and struggled pulling the ring out of his pocket. He clumsily knelt in front of Audrey and held the ring out to her.

Audrey giggled because Michael couldnt even ask her for a second date.

"You are very sweet Michael," Audrey confirmed, "but you just arent my type, I'm going to bbn have to say no."

Michael actually seemed to sigh in relief. He stood and made his way back to his spot at the back of the stage.

"Next up," Jack motioned, "is William."

William confidently stepped forward, knelt down on one knee, held out a golden ring, and asked Audrey for a second date.

Ausrey couldnt help but smile while she talked to William.

"I did have an amazing time with you and amazing conversation. I just have to go with my gut and say no." Aufrey felt bad. She did like him and shebdid bnb have a great day with him, but she had her answer.

William took his spot back next to Michael looking like he just smelled something aweful. He must have been a little bitter that Audrey turned him down.

"Next up to pop the question, is Nathan!" Jack announced.

"NEXT!" Audrey shouted.

Everyone died laughing, and Nathan just stayed where he was and said, "good call". He laughed along though like a great sport.

"The next bachelor is David." Jack said through laughter into the microphone.

David stepped forward and smiled at Audrey who returned the enthusiasm David showed. He reached for her hand and lifted in. He knelt to kne knee kissing her hand and brought his golden ring up to her finger.

"Audrey, please honor me with a second date." David said as he hovered the ring over her finger.

Audrey considered it for a moment, she looked up at Jack and after seeing him, she had no hesitation in telling David what she thought.

"David, I had every intention on accepting your ring from the beginning of our date," Audrey started, "but I'm sorry I have to say no to you."

David looked taken aback but seemed to accept it after a moment and moved aside for Jack.

"Ok that leaves the last bachelor, me, Jack." Jack replaced the mic in the stand and walked over to Audrey staring her crystal eyes the entire time. He pulled out his golden ring and knelt to one knee, never breaking eye contact with Audrey. He held the ring out to her.

"Audrey, I would be honored if you would grace me with a second date." Jack said earnestly. He continued to keep eye contact.

Audrey knelt down on one knee in front of him so they were eye to eye.

"I would be more than happy to accept your ring Jack, and go on a second date with you." Audrey grabbed his face and pulled him close to her. She looked in looked in bv eyes for a moment before softly pressing her lips on his while everyone around them cheered and glitter fell from the ceiling around them. They continued to kiss and snow began to fall out the windows and doors behind them.

[ ] 

December 22, 2020 08:44

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

1 comment

Niveeidha Palani
01:38 Dec 31, 2020

Hi Rita, this was very well described, and the flow was smooth and continuous. I quite liked the plot and the last line was romantic and sweet. Keep it up, and looking forward to seeing more like this!

Reply

Show 0 replies
RBE | We made a writing app for you (photo) | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.