8 comments

Romance


Beautiful...

That’s the only thought comes to my mind every time I see the amazing diamond ring in my finger.

 The moment when Noah bend on his knees a week ago to propose me was magical. As soon as I entered the ball room he was on his knees and proposed me in front of hundreds of people. The beautiful music playing in the background and me in the spotlight was awesome.

And ofcourse I said yes to him, we were dating for over 5 years now. I was always dreaming about how and when Noah will propose me and finally last week he did.

 As I was in my dreamland, I suddenly smelt smoke. I got up straight away and went to the kitchen.

“Oh my god" I mumble

My whole kitchen was on fire. I immediately started calling for help and ran outside. Just in a few moments many people gathered their. But in that few moments my house, my home was between the flames.

“Are you alright Emma?” my neighbour asked hugging me. I mumbled a small fine, thank you.

I gasped as soon as I realized my ring was missing. I started searching for it on the ground, in the grass. I turned my head and saw my home burning, but maybe my ring must have fallen while running outside. 

Automatically I started walking towards my burning house,

“Emma, are you insane. Emma!” my neighbour Mrs. Johnson shouted as I ran towards my home.

It was disaster, my beautiful home was in the flames and I was unable to save it. Everything inside was burning hot. I covered my mouth with my hand as I started coughing. 

My eyes brimmed with tears because of the smoke. I somehow went through the stairs to my room. Kicking the door open I went inside. 

I started searching for my ring, but it was really very difficult because of the flames surrounding me and the smoke making my eyes watery, making me cough and most importantly it was really hot their that my skin started feeling too much heat.

That ring means a lot to me. Its the proof of mine and Noah’s love. Its the sign of our 5 years of relationship. 

Noah means a lot to me, I have loved him since our childhood. I have never lost anything he have gave to me and how could I lose my engagement ring. How could I be so careless.

While I was searching I was something shining under my bed. Stretching my hand under the bed I took out my ring. Tears of relief flooded through my eyes, while I slide the ring in my finger again. 

Till now the fire was on its rage. Now I do regret buying all wooden furniture and putting so many curtains in my house.

Coming downstairs, I realized I was in imminent danger of being burnt to death.

I took a deep breath to calm myself but it turned out opposite, I started coughing because of the spoke present and panicked more. As soon as I took next step towards the door my fan fell down in front of me from the ceiling and I screamed.

It was all too much for me. ‘Why no one came to save me?’ I though. Feeling dizzy because of the unbearable hot temperature, between the burning house I fell down.

“Emma!” I heard Noah's voice. ‘But how would Noah be here?’ I thought. 

“Emma! Oh my god Emma. Are you okay? Emma?!” Noah coughed while saying it and bend down. 

“Oh God baby, are you okay?” he said. Opening my eyes a little more I saw my handsome Noah sitting near me with horrified and worried expressions.

“Noah" I could only take his name and started coughing.

“Yeah its me darling. Don’t worry I will take you out if here. Come.” He said picking me up from the floor in his arms. 

My house was on fire, but I was home in my Noah's arms. I was home. I could buy more hundreds if homes like this but I will always love to be in Noah's arms, forever.

The last thing I saw before blacking out was that Noah took me out if the burning house. My Noah saved me from the fire.

“Emma" I heard and slowly opened my eyes. I realized I was in the hospital laying on the bed and Noah sitting beside me holding my hand in his.

“Noah" I barely said and started coughing.

“Slow down, don’t talk its okay. You are okay. Its just because of the smoke you inhaled.” He explained and kissed the back of my hand.

“You made me scared Emma, very scared.” 

“I am sorry.” 

“Shhhh its okay. I told you don’t speak.” He said and I nodded my head as yes.

“Mrs. Johnson said that you came out as soon as the fire started but then you went again inside. Why?” he asked being confused.

Clearing my throat a little I spoke, “The ring fell inside somewhere while I ran outside in hurry. I almost lost it, I am so sorry.” 

As the tears slipped my eyes Noah wiped them with his thumb.

“Emma, I almost lost you. I would have bought you hundreds of rings like this. You really made me scared and worried. When I saw you laying on the floor between the flames I..I thought I lost you. I can’t lose you baby. I love you so much, I want you and need you till my last breath.” 

He said genuinely and his eyes brimmed with tears. I couldn’t control and embraced him in my arms. As soon as I hugged him, he held me more tightly in his arms.

I heard him taking a breath of relief.

“I am sorry that I worried you so much. You are my everything Noah and the ring means a lot to me, their was no way I could lose it. And I love you too my to be husband.” I said and he laughed at me last line.

Relief flooded through me becausenow I was in his arms. Safe. Being in each other’s arms we shedded some unshielded tears.

I just survived the most horrible experience of my life, I could have died. But my Noah saved me...


October 18, 2020 04:39

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

8 comments

AJ Hensley
04:31 Oct 25, 2020

I’ve known a family member who lost her wedding ring, and it was tragic - so I understand how desperate that initial reaction to get it back can be. Great concept for this story!

Reply

16:09 Oct 25, 2020

Thanks

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Joey Nobleman
02:10 Oct 31, 2020

Very enjoyable story. Interesting premise!

Reply

02:18 Oct 31, 2020

Thank you

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
08:34 Oct 19, 2020

Nice 👌

Reply

08:37 Oct 19, 2020

Thanks

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Dush Isbsuuh
08:32 Oct 19, 2020

Beautiful story 🥺❤😍

Reply

08:37 Oct 19, 2020

Thank you 😊

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.