The Lost Manuscript of Orville Langley: A Madcap Tale

Submitted into Contest #251 in response to: Write a story about discovering a lost manuscript. It can be from a famous (or infamous) author, or an unknown one.... view prompt

3 comments

Mystery

The Lost Manuscript of Orville Langley: A Madcap Tale


Prologue

No sane person would willingly venture into the dusty attic of a decrepit Victorian mansion, but sanity had never been my strong suit. My name is Jack Turner, a struggling writer with a penchant for trouble and an unhealthy obsession with lost causes. So, when I inherited my great-uncle’s estate—a sprawling relic in the backwoods of Vermont—I knew I was in for a ride. What I didn’t know was that I’d stumble upon a literary treasure that would send shockwaves through the world of literature.


Chapter 1: The Attic

The attic was a hellhole. Dust and cobwebs clung to every surface, and the air was thick with the smell of mold and decay. As I waded through the sea of forgotten junk, my eyes landed on a peculiar sight: a hidden alcove behind a false wall panel. It was like discovering a secret stash of contraband in a prohibition-era speakeasy. Inside, wrapped in a tattered silk cloth, was an old leather-bound manuscript. The initials "O.L." on the cover gleamed like a beacon in the gloom.

My heart pounded like a jackhammer as I unwrapped the manuscript. The title, "Echoes of Eternity," was scrawled in a handwriting that could only belong to one man—Orville Langley, the tortured genius of gothic literature. Langley had died under mysterious circumstances, leaving behind a legacy shrouded in mystery and speculation. And here I was, holding what could be his final, unpublished masterpiece.


Chapter 2: The Manuscript

I lit a joint and took a deep drag, the smoke curling around me like a protective shroud. As I flipped open the manuscript, I was immediately drawn into Langley’s world. His prose was intoxicating, a heady mix of dark romance and existential dread. The story unfolded like a fever dream—love, betrayal, redemption, all set against the decaying grandeur of a crumbling manor.

But there was more. Strange annotations littered the margins, written in a different, more frantic hand. They hinted at secrets and conspiracies, at a hidden truth that Langley had tried to protect. I was hooked. This wasn’t just a manuscript; it was a Pandora’s box, and I had to know what lay inside.


Chapter 3: The Mystery

I needed backup. Enter Professor Henry Caldwell, a cantankerous old bastard with a razor-sharp mind and an encyclopedic knowledge of all things Langley. Caldwell was skeptical at first, but one look at the manuscript and he was on board. We spent countless hours deciphering the cryptic annotations, following a trail of breadcrumbs that led us deeper into Langley’s tortured psyche.

Our investigation uncovered a sordid tale of betrayal. Langley’s publisher, Theodore Blackwell, had been a close friend, but their relationship had soured over a financial dispute. Blackwell had buried "Echoes of Eternity," fearing it would eclipse his own mediocre works. The annotations were Langley’s desperate attempt to ensure his masterpiece would see the light of day.


Chapter 4: The Conspiracy

It wasn’t long before we attracted the wrong kind of attention. Blackwell’s descendants, a bunch of self-important pricks, tried to discredit our discovery. They threw everything they had at us—lawyers, private investigators, even a couple of goons who looked like they’d stepped out of a 1930s gangster flick. But I wasn’t about to let some blue-blooded buffoons stand in my way.

Caldwell and I pressed on, determined to see justice done. The literary world had been deprived of Langley’s genius for too long, and I was damn well going to make sure his voice was heard. We fought our way through a maze of legal red tape and academic snobbery, our resolve unshaken.


Chapter 5: The Revelation

Victory was sweet. After months of blood, sweat, and tears, the manuscript was authenticated and published. "Echoes of Eternity" hit the shelves, and the world finally saw Langley for the genius he was. Critics raved, readers wept, and Langley’s ghost—wherever he was—could finally rest easy.

My own story, "The Lost Manuscript," became a bestseller. It was a wild ride, a madcap tale of discovery and redemption that captured the imagination of readers everywhere. I was no longer just a struggling writer; I was the man who had resurrected Orville Langley.


Epilogue

"Echoes of Eternity" now stands as a testament to Orville Langley’s brilliance, a masterpiece that transcended time and adversity. My life was forever changed by that fateful discovery, my name etched alongside Langley’s in the annals of literary history. The attic, once a forgotten tomb of memories, became a symbol of hope and inspiration for future generations.

And so, in the quiet corners of libraries and bookstores, where the echoes of forgotten stories linger, the lost manuscript of Orville Langley continues to captivate the hearts and minds of those who dare to seek it. This was my journey, my madness, my triumph.

But then, one rainy evening as I sat in my study, the phone rang. It was Caldwell, his voice trembling with excitement.

"Jack, you need to come over right now," he said. "There's something you need to see."

When I arrived at Caldwell’s place, he was holding another manuscript, identical in style and handwriting to "Echoes of Eternity." My jaw dropped as I read the title: "The Final Echo."

Caldwell explained that he had found this second manuscript in an old box of his great-grandfather’s belongings. His great-grandfather, it turned out, had been a close associate of Theodore Blackwell. The annotations we had found were not Langley’s, but his great-grandfather’s.

The twist? This second manuscript painted a vastly different picture of Langley’s life and death, revealing that the man we thought we had resurrected was merely a figment of an elaborate literary fraud perpetrated by Blackwell and Caldwell's ancestor. The real Orville Langley, it seemed, had never written "Echoes of Eternity" or "The Final Echo." He had vanished without a trace, his true genius still lost to time.

The discovery of this new manuscript threw everything into chaos. My triumph was now tainted with doubt. Had I brought back a genius, or had I unwittingly perpetuated the greatest literary hoax of the century? The echoes of Orville Langley’s mystery had only just begun.

May 23, 2024 18:48

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

3 comments

Kritika -
01:12 May 31, 2024

This was such a fun short read. I liked the humor and the twist that I did not see coming. My favorite line was, "It was like discovering a secret stash of contraband in a prohibition-era speakeasy." Well, done! If you ever get a chance to read my work and leave feedback, I'd be thrilled.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Kristi Gott
23:24 May 30, 2024

Love it! Please write some more like this one! Entertaining and a fun read!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Kami Drake
21:06 May 29, 2024

This was a fun read! I enjoyed it.

Reply

Show 0 replies
RBE | Illustration — We made a writing app for you | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.