0 comments

Drama Coming of Age Contemporary

LOUNGE - MORNING

JARED (17) gangly and casual with a permanent smirk saunters into the room to see the five anxious faces of his friends staring up at him from around the room.

JARED

'Sup?

MOLLY (17) is sitting on a bar stool, feet clenched on the bottom rung. ALI (17) is sitting in a chair with their legs hanging over the side. ALEC (18) is leaning on the mantel, with a hand in his pocket.

And ROSS (17) is sitting in the middle of the floor, legs crossed, as if he's been meditating.

Jared looks at the faces staring at him disconcerted.

JARED (CONT'D)

Woah, what's goin-

ALEC

Where have you been, mate?

JARED

I stopped at the corner shop-

He holds up a Fanta and a bag of crisps.

MOLLY

How can you even think of eating anything right now? I feel sick.

She puts out a hand to steady herself on the counter. Jared laughs, confused.

JARED

What are guys-

Suddenly, his eyes go wide as he realises-

JARED (CONT'D)

Shit. It's not, is it? No, it's not.

ALI

It is.

ROSS

(from the floor)

A Level Results day.

JARED

Shiiiit.

He drops his crisps and drink in the bin, plopping down on the sofa. He puts his head in his hands.

JARED (CONT'D)

How could I forget?

ALEC

You probably blocked it out. I tried to.

MOLLY

Oh come on, why would you need to block it out?

ALEC

What do you mean?

MOLLY

You'll do fine, we all know that.

ALEC

Um, no we don't. Just because-

ALI

-Just because you're top of the class in every exam, doesn't mean you'll do well in these ones?

ROSS

Hey, come on. He's allowed to be nervous. Who knows, maybe he fucked it.

Alec rolls his eyes.

JARED

Yeah, well, I'm pretty sure you fucking it would still be better than what I'll get trying my hardest. I studied for a week straight-

ALI

We know, you didn't shower, either.

JARED

-and if that's still not got me enough...

(sighs)

I don't know what I'll do.

Ross opens his eyes, coming out of his meditative state.

ROSS

Enough for what? You still haven't told us what you actually want to do yet.

JARED

Well...it doesn't matter does it, if I don't score high enough.

MOLLY

Course it matters, we want to know what your plans are. You know ours.

Jared fidgets, fixing his gaze on the floor, the window, his hands- anywhere but on the expectant looks of his friends.

JARED

Well, I wanna...I wanna study abroad.

ALEC

Oh, like part of your degree?

JARED

No, like, for my degree. I wanna do my degree somewhere else.

There is shocked silence in the group. Jared is leaving? After a moment, Ali says-

ALI

Where?

Jared shrugs.

JARED

I don't know yet, I just- want to see what's out there, you know?

Ross fixes his gaze on the floor again, not meditating this time- upset.

ROSS

No? What's out there that's not

here, huh?

Ross storms out, mumbling over his shoulder-

ROSS (CONT'D)

I'm going to make tea.

He leaves behind an awkward silence. No one knows what to say. Finally, Ali checks their watch and breaks the ice.

ALI

We should probably get ready, it's almost time.

ALEC

(shrugs)

Probably.

The group collectively dive into their bags for their laptops, with the exception of Jared.

JARED

I don't have mine, I forgot it was today. Can I use my phone?

MOLLY

No, they said it has to be on a laptop or desktop.

ALEC

Here, we can both check on mine.

JARED

You don't mind?

ALEC

No.

MOLLY

(under her breath)

Doesn't mind who sees his A stars.

Alec hears her but pretends he doesn't, just bows his head over the laptop as he types in his password.

Ross comes back in carrying a tray of five mugs. He passes them out to people, but when Jared takes a sip he looks up at him.

JARED

Does this have sugar in it?

ROSS

I dunno, does it?

JARED

I don't take sugar.

ROSS

(shrugs)

Sorry, must've forgot.

(beat)

Not like we've been friends for ten years.

Jared exchanges a look with Alec as Ross retreats to his spot on the floor. He pulls out his laptop too- the back is covered in stickers with maths equations and puns.

JARED

Hey, you want to go to Manchester. That's not exactly round the corner.

ROSS

Yeah, but it's not exactly abroad either. And they have the best maths course in the country.

JARED

But that's just it, you know what you want to do. You've always known, ever since we were six. I-

(sighs)

-I have no bloody clue.

ROSS

So you have to go find it in Italy or Japan or something?

JARED

I dunno, maybe. And Alec wants to go to Birmingham, everyone's moving.

MOLLY

Not everyone.

ALEC

And that's only my choice if I get in. And I'd still have to get onto the medicine course, which is really competitive.

MOLLY

Oh please, at least you get a top choice, some of us will be lucky to get a foundation year.

ALEC

Why are you so convinced you'll be shit? You do fine in class too, Mols.

MOLLY

Yeah, but I have test anxiety and I had no time to study because of my dad being ill. You're all acting like it's some new chapter of our lives, but I'd be shocked if I got out of the neighbourhood, let alone the country.

ALI

I have no idea what I'll get. Every time I think I've aced it, I've actually bombed. So I guess it's good that I think I bombed?

ALEC

Well, you don't really have to worry about getting in, do you?

Ali takes their feet from off the chair arm, raising an eyebrow.

ALI

And what's that supposed to mean?

ALEC

Just that-

ALI

-Just that of course they'll want to up their diversity stats with a non-binary student? Huh?

ALEC

Shit, I'm sorry. That was really unfair. I'm just- really fucking nervous.

MOLLY

Oh, pack it in, will you-?

She is cut off by the ping of notifications on five laptops. The group exchanges looks, then bend over the screens to check their scores.

Alec hands his laptop to Jared.

ALEC

You go first.

JARED

You sure?

ALEC

Yeah.

Jared nods and logs in. Ross is the first one to react- he blows out a long breath.

ROSS

It's not stellar, but it's enough.

ALI

Same here.

Relieved, they look towards Molly, who is still scrolling. After a moment, she looks up.

MOLLY

(in disbelief)

I passed. I passed.

Ross gives her a hug as she puts her face in her hands.

MOLLY (CONT'D)

Dad will be so happy, he was so worried...

She lets out a long, relieved breath. Ross breaks away, turning towards Jared with downcast eyes.

ROSS

(reluctantly)

You?

Jared looks up from the computer.

JARED

I'll have to check what I need again, but...I think it's enough. I might even get a scholarship. But...I don't know, maybe I should consider somewhere closer-

But Ross stops him with a hand.

ROSS

Wherever you decide to go, just make it nice so we can come visit, yeah?

Jared smiles and they fist bump.

JARED

Definitely.

(handing laptop to Alec)

Here you go.

Alec reaches for the laptop but accidentally knocks over his mug of tea straight onto the keyboard.

ALEC

Oh, shit.

He tries to wipe off the keys, trying the power button.

ALEC (CONT'D)

It won't turn on. Shit, I'll have to check them when I get home.

ROSS

No, you won't. You can use mine.

He holds out his laptop. Alec looks between him, the laptop, and the others.

ALEC

(sighs)

I don't have to check it. I already know what it is.

JARED

What? How?

Molly rolls her eyes.

MOLLY

What, you don't have to check because you already know it's all A stars?

ALEC

No, because I got done for cheating. It's a U.

The group stand in shocked silence, nobody says a word. Alec carries on-

ALEC

(CONT'D)

I was really nervous, more nervous than I've ever been before a test,

and everyone was expecting me to do so amazing...He doesn't look at Molly, but she hangs her head a bit.

ALEC

(CONT'D)

And I-I guess I just started to spiral. About what I'd do if I failed, how I'd explain it...

(beat)

So I cheated. And they caught me and they zeroed my scores.

ALI

Shit.

MOLLY

(gently)

What are you going to do?

Alec shakes his head, distraught. He blinks back tears.

ALEC

I have no idea.

The others look at each other.

JARED

Hey, you might be able to re-take them next year, right?

MOLLY

Yeah, that's true.

ROSS

And even if you can't, there's other options. My dad failed all of his A levels, and he always said it was the best thing that ever happened to him.

Alec looks up.

ALEC

Really?

ROSS

Sure. He ended up doing an apprenticeship and actually saved a fuck-ton on fees.

Molly goes over and puts a hand on Alec's arm.

MOLLY

I'm sorry we put so many expectations on you. But you're smart, Alec, you'll be okay. And maybe now you can make your own expectations. And stop listening to idiots like us.

Alec smiles a bit, looking around at the group.

ALEC

But, you guys are my favourite idiots.

JARED

And hey, looks like you fit right

in.

He cuffs him lightly on the back of the head, chuckling.

END 

July 04, 2024 12:59

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

RBE | Illustration — We made a writing app for you | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.