0 comments

Fiction Friendship Romance

"This a library," The librarian snapped with a look of fury in her eyes, "If you cannot work discreetly, please leave, this is no place for social interaction."

We nod solemnly and I can see Emily biting her lip to keep her laughter in. The librarian stalks back to the front desk where she had been shooting dirty looks at us for the last half hour. As she sits down, Emily and I finally burst out with the laughter we had been holding in. The librarian glances back up sharply and we look away quickly hiding our snickers.

“Okay, okay, we seriously need to finish this project Benjamin,” Emily says, though the smile is still alight on her face. I nod, “I know, and as I recall, I wasn’t the one who got us started talking about the new Burger King across from school,” she rolls her eyes and looks back at her laptop screen, “So which Roman emperor should we do our project on?”

“Nero,” I immediately blurted out. She looks up an expression of disbelief on her face, “You mean the one who publicly burned Christians alive?” I laugh, “I was joking, let’s not choose a dark subject,” a look of relief crosses her face, “Good, I don’t want our time together to be dark either,” 

I’m embarrassed to say that this basically had me choking on air. Gosh, I sure hope she didn’t notice. I wonder if she meant to say that aloud. Judging by the blush spreading across her face, that’s probably a no. I can’t help but smile to myself. 

I can’t remember the first time we talked. She had just yelled at Andrew Dean for making a vulgar comment to my little sister. I would have done it myself if I had been there, but this girl who now sits in front of me had hopped up from her lunch table and yelled at him in front of anyone.

Afterward, I went up and thanked her. She had looked at me like I was crazy, “It’s what any good person would do.” She was wrong though, it’s not what any good person would do. Most bystanders would remain just that: bystanders.

“I think we should do Antoninus Pius,” Emily says, interrupting my thoughts. “Why him?” I ask. She looks up and just shrugs, grinning, “Because I like his name.” I laugh, “Antoninus Pius it is.”

That’s one of the other reasons I like her; she’s funny and witty, and strong-willed. She has long dark brown hair, which she refuses to cut just because her step-mom keeps telling her to. She doesn't conform to the rules of society. No matter how many people put her down, she always stands tall. I mean, I'm a geek; average, uninteresting. But out of all people, she talks to me.

Well we don’t really “hang out”, she’ll say “hi” to me in the hallways, and we talk during class, sometimes she’ll pass me funny little cartoon drawings that send us into fits of giggles during world history. But she’s Emily Jones. She's not a part of the “popular group” because she refuses to be a part of stereotypical high school groups. But everyone knows her. She’s the ambassador of the underdogs, the voice for the weak. Does that make me weak? I’m not sure I really care anymore. I guess it’s something I learned from her.

“Helloooooo, you alive, Benny-boy?” I look up at the sound of my silly nickname. “Oh, uh, what were you saying?” I ask. She just shakes her head staring at me like I’m a puzzle she’s trying to solve, “Nothing, you were just staring off into space,” she scrunches her nose. Gosh, she looks adorable when she’s scowling. “Oh, it’s nothing, I’m just really hungry,” I say, shaking my head. Although more at myself than at her. She closes her laptop and smiles, “Wanna grab a quick lunch?” she asks. That’s so like her. Always putting others before herself. “You are so perfect.” It takes a minute to realize that I had said it out loud.

“I am anything but perfect Benny-Boy,” she laughs, packing up her stuff. There’s that adorable blush of her’s again. I make her blush. That makes me smile. As we leave the library, the librarian stares at us scornfully, her mind clearly written across her face: Good riddance. 

Emily snickers, “Who knew you could burn holes through the back of someone’s head with your eyes.” 

We walk down Mainstreet, the city alight with sound, the sky cloudless and serene. Emily takes a deep breath in, a whisper of a smile decorates her olive skin. She notices me staring and I quickly look away. She laughs, “You’re so dorky adorable when you’re embarrassed,” I blink in surprise. Did she just call me adorable? 

It probably doesn’t mean anything I tell myself. Emily bursts out laughing again. It’s a musical sound that makes my heartache.

“You look so bewildered,” she grabs my hand and I tense up. “I meant it you know,” says quietly. I look over at her, but she’s looking down at her feet. “Yeah, I already know I’m dorky,” she laughs, but this time there’s a tinge of sadness, “No, I meant you are adorable,” I’m not sure what to say so I choose humor once again, “Why thank you, my dorky adorable-ness, is the reason I am beloved by ladies and dogs alike,” 

She glares at me and I quickly throw my hands up in defense, “I wasn’t comparing women to dogs, you know I would never,” she laughs a little. 

I am suddenly and painfully aware that I had dropped her hand when I was attempting to defend myself. immediately I feel cold despite the warm April day and shiver.

She stops walking entirely and I turn around to face her, “Is something the matter?” She sighs and bites her lip, “I really really like you Benjamin,” Benjamin. She never calls me that. I swallow hard and choke out, “You...Me?” she suddenly looks angry and I step back, “Yes you, you idiot! I have liked you for months and you never seemed to notice. Why do you think I hang out with you? Why do you think I chose you for the report? I’m in love with you, you dufus!” 

Love. Her? In love with me? I just gape at her, “I…” a look of anguish crosses her face, “I’ve ruined everything, haven’t?” she nods defeatedly and turns around. And then she’s walking away. 

I reach out and it feels like the world is spinning. The words are out before I can think. “I love you too!” 

She stops. The world seems to slow. The Earth has stopped spinning and we are the only two people who matter. She turns around and I can see tears shining in her eyes. I walk after her and wipe them away with a finger. “Please don’t cry over me,” she finally meets my eye. Standing only inches apart I’m aware of how much taller than her I am. 

“I meant it you know,” I smile, using her own words. She nods smiling, “I did too.” She reaches up and kisses me. It’s over faster than it came. “I…” 

She laughs, swiping at her mascara, “You always, were one for words. I smirk and take her hand.

We continue down the street, this time the world is even bolder and brighter than before. “Do you want to go to that new noodle place you keep gushing about? I’ll pay?” I offer. “Sure, but you don’t have to pay,” I laugh and reply with a grin, “It’s what any good person would do.”

April 30, 2021 19:08

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

RBE | We made a writing app for you (photo) | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.