0 comments

General

     My eyes slowly peeled open. I could see through my bedroom curtains that it was gloomy outside. I swung my legs around to a sitting position on my bed and stretched my arms up as high as they would reach. I put on my slippers and headed for the door. After a stop at the bathroom, I was in the kitchen. Soon eggs were frying in a skillet on the stove. I peered out the window and saw light drizzle sprinkling down from the heavens.
     "It would have been a good day to sleep in", I said to myself, "maybe an afternoon nap after some work."
     The eggs married well with a slice of cheese, and a dollop of mayo, between two pieces of bread. I retired to the living room and ate my breakfast as I watched the morning news. Every bite of my sandwich got washed down by a gulp of cool, fresh milk. I placed my saucer and glass in the sink.
     With a push of a button the television went silent and black. I took a seat at the computer and started my daily routine of checking and answering emails. I finished the emails and started tapping away on the keys, putting an idea onto the drive before it was lost in my ever-busy mind. The hours seemed to fly. I was pecking away, when a slice of yellow sunlight fell across my keyboard. I followed the ray of sun to a split in the front window curtains. Like a moth to a flame, I rose from my chair and followed the light.
     I spread the curtain with my hands and the sun was burning bright. Patches of dark cement gave clue that the morning sprinkle was evaporating off the sidewalk. I opened the front door and stepped on the porch. It was now early in the evening but the sun still was shining.The recent rain made the air smell so clean and new. I took a deep breath and inhaled as much of spring as my lungs could take. The sun reflected the purples and dark reds in the black birds’ feathers that sat in my apple tree. I decided it was too nice of an evening to be cooped up inside working.
     I changed into a pair of thin sweats, a t-shirt and my blue Crocs. I put a couple dollars in my pocket and left the house. The park was four blocks away and seemed like a perfect destination.
     The streets were cluttered with vehicles. Cars of all types had their windows down so the passengers could enjoy the breeze. The loud rumble of motorcycle engines seemed to be everywhere. Every one of them eager for lights to turn green so they could feel the refreshing kiss of the spring air.
     I made it to the park, and everything was as I expected. Dogs parading on the end of leashes, kids running around laughing and squealing, as parents sat gossiping on benches. 
     As I walked through the park, I felt the warmth of the sun and the cool of the breeze, working in perfect unison. I spied an ice cream stand and decided it would be a great addition to my spring stroll. The man was pleasant and soon I was once again on my way. I licked at the strawberry ice cream in a battle to keep it from dripping.
     The trail brought me to a bench by a pond. The reflection of the sun off the motionless pond surface was making me regret not bringing sunglasses. I watched a colorful spectacle of butterflies and dragonflies glittering along the bank. The butterflies gliding like they had all the time in the world. The dragonflies buzzing hastily as they flew from here to there.
     A dragonfly landed on a green turtle sunning on a floating log. Its feet and head striped by bright yellow. The amphibian’s eyes were closed.
     "I see I’m not the only one who thought an afternoon nap sounded good" I said softly. 
     I saw a lot of movement in the cat tails to my right. My mind raced at what it could be. I heard a 'quack' as a grey duck with black speckles burst out of the thicket of amphibious plants. It treaded water outside the cat tails. Then a little yellow duck popped out of the cat tails. The mother patiently waited, til six ducklings were swimming around her chirping.  She turned and started swimming proudly across the pond. The mother would quack every couple of minutes and wait for the chorus of peeps to answer.
     I could tell she was a proud mother. Her head held high as her webbed feet pushed her effortlessly across the pond. Mother duck glided across the pond. A straight line of ducklings, paddling feverishly to keep up, trailing her.
     The last duckling in the row was hilarious. I’m not sure if it was a comedian or it had not figured out how to swim, but every time he would approach the duckling in front of him, he would pivot in a circle. The circle was funny enough, but the erratic peeping made me laugh. I could imagine him closing in on his brother saying "Ok now. Easy on the brake. What's happening! Help! Moooom!". The duckling made me laugh so much I dubbed him "Jerry". He had a touch of Jerry Lewis about him. I found myself rooting for Jerry as they crossed the pond.
     Then my smile faded when I saw, the biggest water snake I had ever seen, enter the water on the opposite bank. It was nature’s perfect predator. The dark green and black coloring of his body made it hard to see him in the green water of the pond. Its soulless eyes were focused straight ahead as it's long body made an "S" pattern as it swam. The serpents black tongue shot out of its mouth, tasting the air. Instantly, I felt panic as it closed on the line of ducklings.
     "Momma. See the snake" I whispered trying to will the mother to intercept the serpent. The mother was focused on the turtle as she passed it. Mother duck glared at the turtle. Treading a little closer she lowered her head. The turtle never flinched. She must have identified it as a plant eater and knew it wouldn't bother her young. She straightened and proceeded ahead. The turtle decided it was getting to crowded and tumbled off the log into the green depths of the pond.
     My focus went back to Jerry, who was doing another circle and peeping excitedly. I stood up. My hands clinched in a prayer position in front of me.
     "C'mon Jerry!" I said loudly. "Get it together or your gonna be food."
     Then, by the grace of God, Jerry saw the serpent. He swam so fast toward his duckling brood that he started zigzagging. He peeped loudly and erratically. He knew he was being stalked.
     My heart raced as I watched the snake closing the distance. I thought about jumping in the pond to save poor Jerry. I found myself pacing back and forth along the edge of the bank.
     "Go! Jerry! Go!" I shouted. I was too wrapped up in this soap opera of nature to care if anyone saw me yelling at a duck.
         Slowly, the reptile started to submerge. Its body first and then slowly its head and eyes. nature's perfect predator was now invisible. I tried to calculate how fast it was swimming so I would know how close it was to Jerry.
     "Goodbye Jerry" I mumbled.  It was hard to watch. Seconds started dragging by. Jerry was swimming so fast, that his head was lowered almost parallel to the pond. He paddled and paddled. I could picture his little orange webbed feet churning the water. My heart raced in anticipation of the loss of my new friend. I couldn’t imagine how fast jerry’s heart was beating.
     The snake surfaced and slithered onto the log. It watched the ducklings swim by and then laid its head down and closed its eyes. My heart felt like a ton of rock got lifted off of it.
     "You just wanted to enjoy the sun" I said aloud. 
     Jerry didn't notice the serpent gave up the chase. He passed sibling after sibling like he was in NASCAR. He started passed his mother. She quacked in disbelief and caught up to Jerry. She slowed him with her wing. Jerry looked around before giving in to his mother. Jerry peeped, over and over, like he was explaining what happened. They reached the bank. Mother waited on the rest of the ducklings. Jerry ran ten feet away from the water before stopping. He turned peeping for his family to get away from the water. He reminded me of the sheriff in Jaws. Always yelling “Get out of the water!”
     My smile came back. Jerry was safe again. I returned to my bench. I was glad I didn't miss this thrill that occurred. I was so happy spring had returned. I plan to check up on Jerry regularly. He may not know me, but I am a little duck’s biggest fan.

    

April 01, 2020 00:20

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.